Free Microsoft Office for Students and Employees
NDSU students and employees are now eligible for free Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus, a full version of Office software, including:
- ...and more!
To be eligible:
- Students must be enrolled for one or more credits at NDSU
- Employees must have an Office 365 email account
Students and employees can install the software on multiple devices, including PCs, Macs and tablets. Users can also access Office mobile applications on iPhones and Android phones.
The software has the same features and functions as other versions of Office and can be used offline; however, users must connect to the Internet once every 30 days to verify they are still eligible for the program.
Office 365 ProPlus is being offered through NDSU's Office 365 email and calendar system, provided in partnership with Microsoft.
Download and Install Office 365 ProPlus
Mac or Windows Computer
- Open a new tab or window in a Web browser, and then go to login.microsoftonline.com
- Log in using your NDSU email address (typically firstname.lastname@example.org) and password
- Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner, and then select Office 365 settings
- Click Software in the left menu
- Select your desired Language
- If you are installing Office for Windows, Microsoft recommends using the 32-bit installation
- Click Install to download and install the latest version of Office
If your computer is not compatible with the latest version of Office, you can choose to select the previous version at the bottom of the screen in step 5.
Tablets and Phones
Mobile Office apps for tablets and phones can be downloaded and installed from your device's app store.
For detailed instructions, go to Microsoft's website
Users with iOS devices who want to access OneDrive for Business on their device should also download and install the OneDrive for Business app (not the OneDrive app).
Frequently Asked Questions
How long can I keep my license for Office 365 ProPlus?
Users must connect to the Internet once every 30 days to verify they are still eligible for the program.
Students must be enrolled for one or more credits at NDSU (or at any other N.D. University System institution) to remain eligible for the Office 365 ProPlus license. Students who graduate or are no longer enrolled for credit after spring semester will lose their license shortly after the start of fall semester. Students who graduate or are no longer enrolled for credit after fall semester will lose their license shortly after the start of spring semester. When the license expires, students retain read-only access to their Microsoft Office files.
Employees must be actively employed at NDSU to remain eligible for the Office 365 ProPlus license. When no longer employed at NDSU, the user retains read-only access to their Microsoft Office files.
What devices are compatible with Office 365 ProPlus?
- PCs (Windows 7 or higher)
- Macs (Mac OS X 10.6 or higher)
- Windows tablet (Windows 7 or higher)
- iPads (version 7 or higher)
- Office Mobile for iPhone
- Office Mobile for Android
How many devices can I install the software on?
Each subscription license allows you to install Microsoft Office on up to five Mac or Windows computers, five tablets and five phones.
Is this a full version of Office, available for offline use?
Yes. The software has the same features and functions as other versions of Office and can be used offline
What applications are included with Office 365 ProPlus for Windows?
- Word 2013
- Excel 2013
- PowerPoint 2013
- OneNote 2013
- Access 2013
- Publisher 2013
- Outlook 2013
- Lync 2013
- InfoPath 2013
What applications are included with Office 365 ProPlus for Mac?
- Word 2011
- Excel 2011
- PowerPoint 2011
- Outlook 2011