Software Contact Responsibilities
A. Who is a software licensing contact and what do they do?
The Software Contact is appointed by their respective department and is responsible for these respective duties or functions:
- Serving as a liaison between their respective department (staff, faculty, and student employees) and the IT Software Licensing Coordinator regarding software licensing questions, software orders, re-installation software, and other information related to software assets and licensing.
- Ordering, maintain current inventory, tracking, and compliance of software assets and licenses for all department owned computers assigned to or used by staff, faculty, and student employees.
- Knowledgeable about the department's software and licensing budget and is able to obtain or oversee purchases of software and software licenses for the department.
B. What are the software contact's responsibilities?
Expectations include, but are not limited to:
- Placing software orders, upon approval, for software and licenses requested by department staff, faculty and student employees via the online order forms.
- Keeping accurate records of all software licensing purchases from all sources to assure software licensing compliance. This can be done through use of specific files, spreadsheets and/or databases. Records managements includes tracking and inventorying software purchased through the NDSU/NDUS Software Licensing Program, NDSU specific software contracts, the NDSU Bookstore and any outside software reseller where licenses are purchased for department owned machines. Tracking and inventory information should include software information, the staff member & inventory number of the computer it is for, and the purchase information.
- Sharing and distributing information received from NDSU/NDUS Software Licensing Coordinator regarding software licensing news and issues - for example:
- annual software renewal dates
- expiration dates for licenses
- new product offerings
- licensing changes
- software compliance
- website addresses for product information requested by staff, faculty or student employees
- Other duties that may be assigned by the department in regard to the ordering, tracking, inventory and compliance of software licenses.
Please contact Software Licensing for more information: 231-8674
- Mathematica 9.0.1
- Minitab 16
- SAS 9.3
- SPSS 22
- ESRI 10.2
Please contact Software Licensing for more information @ 231-8685 Option 4.