Memorial Union Sustainability Initiatives and Resources
"Sustainability" implies that the critical activities of a higher education institution are ecologically sound, socially just and economically viable, and that they will continue to be so for future generations (University Leaders for a Sustainable Future). The NDSU Memorial Union staff is continually seeking ways to address the building’s environmental impact. The Union is also an important gathering space for students and faculty where knowledge is shared and ideas are created. In this way, the building not only serves to model sustainability, but is also the hub for creative thinking that can lead to a greener NDSU campus.
Some of these efforts include:
· Recycling containers located on each floor for aluminum, plastic, and paper (18 total containers).
· Participation in the PepsiCo Recycling program, which has resulted in the recycling of thousands of plastic and aluminum containers since the beginning of the 2014 academic year. In addition to the environmental benefits, the program helps veterans with disabilities access the tools they need to start small businesses.
· The Memorial Union’s environmental footprint has been reduced through the installation of water bottle fill stations, LED lighting, cardboard and newspaper recycling, and the repurposing of outdated furniture and electronics.
· The Memorial Union also encourages and supports dialogue concerning ways to decrease our environmental impact. Recently, the Union organized a Community Engagement Forum concerning food sustainability. The discussion included the insightful expertise of NDSU faculty, students, and FM area community members.
In addition, the Memorial Union supports various campus organizations and committees created to address issues of environmental sustainability throughout the campus.
· The Environmental Sustainability Club (Contact the Student Activities Office for more info)
· The Sustainability Committee (Contact the Student Government Office for more info)
Do you have questions, thought, or ideas about the Memorial Union’s sustainability efforts? If so, please feel free to contact Hailey Goplen, Assistant Director of Service Learning and Civic Engagement at email@example.com. Thank you! For questions regarding sustainability outside of the Memorial Union, please contact one of the groups listed above.