Professor | Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
Current Research Projects
RESEARCH AREAS & Selected publications
Books and book chapters
- O. Swenson and Marinov V. "Laser Sintering of Direct-Write Nanosized Materials." In Advances in Laser Materials Processing Technology, Research and Applications, J. Lawrence, D.K.Y. Low, J. Pou, and E. Toyserkani (Eds), Woodhead Publishing/CRC, Cambridge, UK, 2010, p. 512 (ISBN: 978-1-4200-9492-3)
- V. R. Marinov, O. Swenson, Y. Atanasov, N. Schneck. “Laser-Assisted Ultrathin Bare Die Packaging: A Route to a New Class of Microelectronic Devices.” Proc. SPIE, Vol. 8608, 2013 (pdf)
- V. R. Marinov, O. Swenson, Y. Atanasov, N. Schneck. “Laser-Assisted Ultrathin Die Packaging: Insights from a Process Study.” Microelectronic Engineering, Vol. 101, 2013, 23-30. (pdf)
- F. Sarwar and V.R. Marinov, “Reliability of Embedded Ultrathin Chips Subjected to Cyclic Stresses,” Journal of Microelectronics and Electronic Packaging, Vol. 9, No. 2, 2012, 1-8.
- V. Marinov, O. Swenson, R. Miller, F. Sarwar, Y. Atanasov, M. Semler, and S. Datta, “Laser-Enabled Advanced Packaging of Ultrathin Bare Dice in Flexible Substrates.” IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 2, No. 4, 2012, 569-577 (pdf)
- Miller, R., V.R. Marinov, O. Swenson, Zh. Chen, M. Semler. “Noncontact Selective Laser Assisted Placement of Thinned Semiconductor Dice.” IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging, and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 2, No. 6, 2012, 971-978. (pdf)
- Sarwar, F., Zh. Chen, J. Wu, D.C. Webster, V.R. Marinov. "Laser Ablation of a Photoresist Containing a Novel Gas Carrier Sensitizer." Journal of Microelectronics and Electronic Packaging, Vol. 8, No. 2, 2011, 66-71. (pdf)
- V. Marinov and S. Bhattacharya, “High-Density PTF-Inlaid Traces on Flexible Substrates”, IMAPS Advanced Technology Workshop on Printed Devices & Applications, Feb 25 - 27, 2009, Orlando, Florida, 2009.
- Bhattacharya S. and V. Marinov, “Simple, Inexpensive, and Reliable High Density Interconnect Technology for Flexible Electronics Applications”, Proc. of the 8th Flexible Electronics & Displays Conference, February 2-5, 2009, Phoenix, AZ, 2009.
- A. Khan, N. Rasmussen, V. Marinov, and O. F. Swenson, “Laser sintering of silver nano-materials on polymer substrates,” Journal of Microelectronics and Electronic Packaging, Vol. 5, No. 2, 2nd Qtr, 2008, 77-86.
- Khan A., N. Rasmussen, O. F. Swenson, and V. Marinov, “Laser sintering of direct write silver nano-ink conductors for microelectronic applications,” Proc. SPIE, Vol. 6879, 2008.
- V.R. Marinov, Atanasov Y.A., Khan A., Vaselaar D., Halvorsen A., Schulz D.L., and Chrisey D.B., “Direct write vapor sensors on FR4 plastic substrate,” IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 7, No. 6, 2007, 937- 944.
- Marinov V. and Y. Atanasov, “Improved Direct Write Technology for High Frequency Interconnects on Flexible Substrates,” Proceedings of IMAPS 2006, 39th International Symposium on Microelectronics, San Diego, California, October 8-12, 2006.
- Marinov, V. Book Review: Direct-Write Technologies for Rapid Prototyping Applications, sensors, electronics, and integrated power sources. Int. J. Adapt. Control Signal Processing, Vol. 19, 2005, 741-743.
- Marinov V., “Electrical Resistance of Laser Sintered Direct-Write Deposited Materials for Microelectronic Applications,” Journal of Microelectronics and Electronic Packaging, Vol. 1, No. 4, 4th Qtr, 2004, 261-268.
|The first transparent silica aerogel synthesized at NDSU in November 2010||Phosphorescence in an 365nm-excited silica aerogel with dispersed SiO2-coated, 2-8 μm SrAl2O4:Eu,Dy crystals.|
|The applications of advanced nanocomposite materials based on transparent silica aerogels have recently become an exciting area of research for me. One of my projects is related to the synthesis and characterization of nano-structured materials consisting of quantum dots and other nanocrystalline materials uniformly and randomly dispersed in a virtually transparent silica aerogel matrix.|
- Athmuri, K., and V. R. Marinov. “Optically Transparent and Structurally Sound Silica Aerogels: Insights from a Process Study,” Advances in Materials Science, Vol. 12, No.1, 2012, 5-16. (pdf)
- I.T. Lima, Jr., and V.R. Marinov, “Volumetric Display Based on Two-Photon Absorption in Quantum Dot Dispersions,” IEEE/OSA Journal of Display Technology, Vol. 6, No. 6, 2010, 221 – 228. (pdf)
- V.R. Marinov, I.T. Lima, Jr., and R. Miller, “Quantum dot dispersions: a new material for true volumetric displays.” Proc. SPIE, Vol. 7690, 2010. (pdf)
Unil 2002-2003, theory of machining has been my top priority research area.
Books and book chapters
- Marinov V. Manufacturing Process Design. Kendall/Hunt Publishing, Dubuque, IA, 2012.
- Marinov V. Manufacturing Processes for Metal Products. Kendall/Hunt Publishing, Dubuque, IA, 2008, p. 290.
- Andonov I., Marinov, V., Modeling of the Metal Cutting Process, University Press, Technical University, Sofia, Bulgaria, 1997, p. 263.
- Marinov V., S. Seetharamu. Virtual machining operation: a concept and an example. In Proceeding of the SPIE Conference on Intelligent Systems in Design and Manufacturing, 25-26 October 2004, Philadelphia, PA, Proc. of SPIE Vol. #5605, 2004.
- Marinov V. Application of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics in Modeling of Metal Cutting Process. Proceedings of the 6th CIRP International Workshop on Modeling of Machining, May 19-20, 2003, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada; Eds. M.A. Elbestawi, Y. Altinas, P. Koshy, McMaster Manufacturing Research Institute, McMaster University, Hamilton, 2003, 40-51
- Marinov. V.R. On Some Aspects of the Virtual Manufacturing Concept. Third International Conference on Metal Cutting and High Speed Machining, June 27-29, Metz, France, 2001
- Marinov V. R. Hybrid Analytical—Finite-Element Solution for the Shear Angle in Orthogonal Metal Cutting—Part I: Theoretical Foundation. International Journal of Mechanical Science, 43, No 2, 2000, 399-414.
- Marinov V. R. Hybrid Analytical—Finite-Element Solution for the Shear Angle in Orthogonal Metal Cutting—Part II: Experimental Verification. International Journal of Mechanical Science, 43, No 2, 2000, 415-426.
- Marinov V. A Generic Virtual Machining Process. Proceedings of the 3rd World Congress on Intelligent Manufacturing Processes & Systems, June 28-30, Cambridge, USA, 2000, 203-208
- Marinov V. An Application of Viscous Flow Similarity and Boundary Layer Analogy for Determination of Cutting Forces in Case of Build-up Edge Formation. 8th International Machine Design and Production Conference, September 9-11, Ankara, Turkey, 1998, 277-287
- Marinov V. A coupled analytical-finite element model of chip formation in 2-D formulation. 8th International Machine Design and Production Conference, September 9-11, Ankara, Turkey, 1998, 289-301
- Jeong-Du Kim, V. R. Marinov and Dong-Sik Kim. Built-up edge analysis of orthogonal cutting by the visco-plastic finite-element method, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 71, No. 3, 1997, 367-372.
- Andonov I., V. Marinov. 3-D Analysis of Metal Cutting Forces in the Turning of Complex-Alloyed Steels. Journal of Material Science and Technology, 5, No. 1, 1997, 30-36.
- Marinov V. On Viscous Fluid Flow Similarity In Metal Cutting (An Overview). 26th International Symposium of Production Mechanical Engineering, 17-20th September, Podgorica—Budva, Montenegro, Yugoslavia, 1996.
- Kim J.-D., and Marinov V.R. Material Characterization in the Chip-Tool Deformation Zone: An Application of Boundary-layer Theory. International Journal of Mechanical Science, 37, No.1, 1995, 91-95
- Marinov V. Viscoplastic analysis of metal flow in orthogonal metal cutting by coupled finite element model. Proceedings of AMTECH’95, April 19-21, Rousse, Bulgaria, 1995, 53-62
- Marinov, V., Kim J.D, AND Kim D.S. Viscoplastic FEM of metal flow in cutting. (Keynote paper) In Progress of Cutting and Grinding, Proc. First Asia-Pacific and Second Japan-China ICPCG, Shanghai, China, Sept. 26-28, 1994; Eds., N. Narutaki, Y. Yamane, C. Dingchang, W. Xiaolu, Z. Deyuan, Int. Acad. Publishers, Beijing, 1994, 201-207.
My interests here were mostly in tribology of machining.
- Marinov V. and I. Andonov. Virtual Experiment as an Educational Aid in Tribology of Cutting. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 147, No 3-4, 1997, 323-327.
- Marinov V. Experimental Study on the Abrasive Wear in Metal Cutting. Wear, 197, 1996, 242-247.
- Marinov V. and I. Andonov. Computer Graphics Simulation of Tool Wear in Metal Cutting. Tribology in Industry, 18, No. 3, 1996, 117-119.