Edwin Fissinger Choral Composition Prizes
NDSU School of Music honors the legacy and traditions of noted choral composer and long-time NDSU choral conductor Edwin Fissinger with its annual choral composition competition.
The Edwin Fissinger Choral Composition Prizes will be awarded to the first and second place winners.
2013 Winners Announced
The NDSU School of Music is pleased to announce Andrew J. Miller as first place recipient and Elizabeth Lim as second place recipient of the Edwin Fissinger Choral Competition. Click here for more information.
- Score submission: June 1, 2014
- Announcement of winners: September 1, 2014
- Premiere of winning composition: October 2014
- Application fee: $25 per composition entered (a check made payable to North Dakota State University) must accompany the submission. Or pay online at NDSU Marketplace.
Entries should be:
- for mixed choir (SATB), divisi is acceptable.
- unaccompanied, or with piano accompaniment.
- three to five minutes in length.
- original, not previously performed publicly, and unpublished. The text may be sacred or secular, either in the public domain or copyrighted, as long as a letter of permission from the copyright owner is included with the submission.
- suitable for an accomplished high school or university choir.
- Open to all composers with the exception of current NDSU faculty, staff, and students.
- Prior winners may enter only after five years.
- First: $1000
- Second: $500
- NDSU reserves the right to not award prizes in a given year.
- The composer of the first prize work must be present at the premiere performance. NDSU will reimburse actual travel, lodging and food expenses up to a maximum of $750.
- Winners will be announced at www.ndsu.edu/music/fissinger/index on August 7, 2014.
- The first prize winner will receive a contract from Pavane Publishing to place their composition in the Jo Ann Miller Choral Series. The second prize piece will be considered for publication.
- Jo Ann Miller, Choral Activities, NDSU
- Michael Weber, Choral Activities, NDSU
- Charlette Moe, Choral Activities, NDSU
- Dale Warland, Dale Warland Singers
- Allan Petker, Pavane Publishing
- Include name, address, phone number(s), email address, and social security number in a sealed envelope accompanying the score.
- Names or other identifying elements must not appear on the score.
- Size of manuscript must not exceed 8 1/2 inches by 14 inches.
- Submitted scores must be in Finale or Sibelius.
- A midi file is encouraged with the submission, but is not required.
- All scores selected for performance will be reproduced by NDSU and all copies destroyed after the premiere performance.
- No scores will be returned unless a self-addressed mailer and postage are provided.
- No electronic submissions. Submissions must be postmarked by June 1, 2014.
- Mail submissions to:
Jo Ann Miller, Director of Choral Activities
North Dakota State University
School of Music
P.O. Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Direct questions to Jo Ann Miller (Jo.Miller@ndsu.edu).