Content | Navigation |

College's History

Centennial Celebration 1902 - 2002 History

1901

The North Dakota Agricultural College Board of Trustees vote to establish a School of Pharmacy under the Department of Chemistry.



The School of Pharmacy was orginally housed in the chemistry building.

1902

The new school offers a four-year degree in pharmaceutical chemistry and a two-year course in practical pharmacy. Five students are enrolled in the two programs.


Francis hall basement, lab and storeroom.

1919

The School of Pharmacy becomes a separate entity from the Department of Chemistry. W.F. Sudro, professor of pharmacology, is named head of the school.


Pharmacy Baseball Team,
campus champs


Dean William F. Sudro
1919-1955

1923

The school is elected to the American Conference of Pharmaceutical Faculties, which consists of the nation's most highly ranked pharmaceutical institutions.


Library in Francis Hall

1932

The four-year curriculum is adopted as sole course of study.


Pharmacy Lab


Kenneth Redman
1930-1947

1940

The School of Pharmacy is accredited by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education.


Francis Hall lab

1946

A graduate degree in pharmaceutical chemistry is established.

1950

Four departments are created: pharmaceutical chemistry, pharmacognosy, pharmacology and pharmacy. Six years later, pharmacy administration is added.

1960

The School of Pharmacy, originally housed in the chemistry building and Francis Hall, moves into the newly built Sudro Hall. The program adopts the five-year curriculum mandatory for all pharmacy programs in the United States.


Richard Reopelle
1957-1992


Leo Schermeister
1955-1987


Dean Clifton E. Miller
1955-1970


      
Sudro Hall, at the beginning and after finishing the construction

1969

An associate degree in nursing is added to the school. The two-year program is phased out in 1987. NDSU and Concordia College, Moorhead, agree to create a four-year baccalaureate degree using the Tri-College Consortium.


William Henderson, Judy Ozbun, Steve Sleight,     
and Dr. Muriel Vincent (left to right)    


N. G. Rao
1966-1994

                                    

Ed Mansfield (left) and Dave Olson

1987

The college begins the Native American Pharmacy Program to address the severe shortage of Native American pharmacists.


Ed Magarian
1973-2000


Gordon Strommen
1965-2001


Dean Dale E. Wurster
1971-1972

 

 

       

William H. Shelver
1960-2002

James Vacik
1960-1976

       Shoukry Khalil (center)
        1968-1994

                    

         

1990

A six-year entry-level doctor of pharmacy program is implemented. The college also now offers a two-year post-baccalaureate PharmD Program.


Dean
Philip N. Haakenson
1973-1980


Dean
G. Joseph Norwood
1981-1986


Dean
Harry Rosenberg
1987-1995

                   

2000

NDSU's new Concept Pharmacy is deemed a unique and innovative breakthrough in pharmacy education by Walgreens Scripting Success, a national newsletter.

 

Concept Pharmacy opens in October 2002

2001

The college receives a federal grant to develop a statewide telepharmacy program to save rural pharmacies from closing and receives, in cooperation with the Department of Chemistry, an $8.2 million NIH grant to establish a Center for Biomedical Research Excellence.



Agnes Harrington
1979-2004


Dean
Charles D. Peterson
1996-Present



Donald Miller
1978-Present

                   

2002

The College of Pharmacy observes its 100th anniversary, which includes a dedication ceremony for a new Walgreens Wing addition to Sudro Hall.

 

 


Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

North Dakota State University
Phone: +1 (701) 231-7456 / Fax: (701) 231-7606
Campus address: Sudro Hall 123
Physical/delivery address: 1401 Albrecht Boulevard, Fargo, ND 58102
Mailing address: NDSU Dept. 2650 / PO Box 6050 / Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Page manager: College of Pharmacy, Nursing, and Allied Sciences

Last Updated: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:07:59 AM