Checklist for Residency Applicants
- Attend the local residency showcase at NDSU on Friday, September 12, 2014
- Review the ASHP Online Directory which provides information on ASHP-accredited residencies
- Request additional information and applications from programs of interest
- Register to attend the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting; select programs to visit at the Residency Showcase. Meeting registration is $285 for student members and $395 for student non-members for 2014
- Make necessary travel and lodging arrangements for the Midyear Meeting
- Prepare your curriculum vitae (CV): http://www.ashp.org/menu/MemberCenter/SectionsForums/PSF/CareerCenter/Career-Planning/Curriculum-Vitae-Resource-Center.aspx
- Residency programs participating in the Match are listed on www.natmatch.com/ashprmp and select “List of Participating Programs”
- Attend the Midyear Meeting. This is the largest annual pharmacy meeting, with over 20,000 participants and 200 exhibitors from all over the USA, and students from virtually all colleges/schools of pharmacy.
- Location: rotates yearly between Anaheim (2014), New Orleans (2015), Las Vegas (2016), Orlando (2017)
- What to do when there: national clinical skills competition, residency showcase, industry showcase, continuing education programs, job interviewing (PPS), poster sessions, social gatherings, and many other programs geared towards pharmacy students (NAPLEX prep course, etc)
- Request letters of recommendation, prepare cover letters, and complete paperwork for residency applications
- Schedule on-site interviews
- On-site interviews
- For application to residencies participating in the Match, submit application agreement form and fee ($130) to the National Matching Service.
- Applicants must also apply to the individual residency programs, in addition to the Match. Application deadlines for individual residency programs vary; therefore applicants should check with each program regarding their deadline date. Many of these programs use PhORCAS, on online portal, to process applications. The cost for PHORCAS is $75 for applying up to 4 programs, $25 per program after that. https://portal.phorcas.org/
- Complete interviews. Narrow residency choices to programs that best meet your needs and goals.
- For application to residencies participating in the Match, submit Rank Order Form to the National Matching Service by their published date. Open from February 6 – March 6 for 2015
- Receive match results at noon (Eastern Time) on the published date. March 20 for 2015
- Unmatched residency candidates may directly contact programs with positions that remain unfilled (and vice-versa)
Prepared by Michael Kelsch, PharmD, BCPSMichael.Kelsch@ndsu.edu September 10, 2014