Erxi Wu, Ph.D.
203 Sudro Hall
Office Phone: 701.231.7250
Lab Phone: 701.231.8106
Dr. Wu's research areas include tumor (i.e., brain tumors, neuroblastoma, and pancreatic cancer) therapeutic targets, drug target proteins, biomarkers, drug discovery, natural products, Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)/Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM), and pharmacogenomics.
1995-98 Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Sheffield University Medical School, UK
1998-04 Postdoctoral Research in Cancer Biology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard University, USA
2007-08 Special Graduate Student, Modern Medicine, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
Academic and Professional Appointments
1983-90 Pharmacologist, Hunan Institute for Drug Control, China
1990-94 Pharmacologist-in-charge, Hunan Institute for Drug Control, China
1992-93 Guest Lecturer, Hunan University, China
1994-95 Visiting Research fellow, CRC Therapeutics Center, The Institute of Cancer Research, University of London, UK
1998-04 Research Associate, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Harvard University, USA
2006- Chair, Advisory Board, Howfond BioPharma, Inc. Boston, USA
2007- Visiting Professor, Institute of Medicinal Plant Development, Chinese Academy Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, China
2005-08 Faculty/Staff Scientist, Children’s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Harvard University, USA
2008- Tenure-Track Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, North Dakota State University (NDSU), USA
Professional Societies Service Responsibilities and Editorial Activities
1999- Member, American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
2002-03 President of International Association of Biological and Medical Research (IABMR)
2003-04 President of Sino-American Pharmaceutical Professional Association-New England (SAPA-NE)
2003-04 Vice President of Sino-American Pharmaceutical Professional Association (SAPA)
2005- Member, Advisory Committee, IABMR2006-10 Executive Editorial Member and Reviewer, Journal of Clinical Rehabilitative Tissue Engineering Research
2007- Board Director of Chinese-American BioMedical Association (CABA)
2007- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Acta Pharmacologica Sinica
2008- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Translational Research
2008- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology
2008- Ad Hoc Reviewer, FEBS Letters
2009- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Cancer Research
2011- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Current Molecular Medicine
2011- Ad Hoc Reviewer, International Archives of Medicine
2011- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Molecular Cancer Research
2011- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Environmental Toxicology
2011- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Current Pharmaceutical Design
2011- Ad Hoc Reviewer, International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience
2011- Ad Hoc Reviewer, International Journal of Molecular Sciences
2012- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Molecular Biology Reports
2012- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Pancreas
2012- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters
2012- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Molecules
2012- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
2012- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Antioxidants & Redox Signaling
2012- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Nutritional Neuroscience
2012- Guest Editor, Special Issue, Current Medicinal Chemistry
2013- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Academia Journal of Scientific Research
2013- Reviewer, F1000Research
2013- Ad Hoc Reviewer, African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology
2013- Associate Editor, World Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Research
2013 Reviewer, for Book “Endocrine Disease”, iConcept Press Ltd
2013- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Journal of Nutrigenetics and Nutrigenomics
2013 Reviewer, Current Medicinal Chemistry
2013- Associate Editor, OA Immunology
2013- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Current Cancer Drug Targets
2013- Reviewer, Digestive Diseases and Sciences
2009-11 Member, Planning, Priorities and Resources Committee, College of Pharmacy, NDSU
2009- Member, Admissions Committee, College of Pharmacy, NDSU
2009- Interviewer for Pharm D. student admission, College of Pharmacy, NDSU
2011- Advocate, Advance FORWARD, NDSU
2011- Vice President, Society for Combined Therapy – East Meets West
2012- NDSU Faculty Senator
Awards and Honors
1983 Outstanding student award, Hunan Normal University
1993 Sino-British Friendship Scholarship Scheme (SBFSS) Scholarship, Chinese and British Governments (to undertake research in Britain for one year)
1995-98 ORS (Overseas Research Scholarship) Scholarship, British Government
1998 Travel Award, NATO Advanced Study Institute
2002 Travel Award, Gordon Research Conference: Proteolytic Enzymes & Their Inhibitors
2003 SAPA 2003 Excellence Service Award
2004 SAPA 2004 Excellence Service Award
2005 IABMR Outstanding Leadership Award
2007 Outstanding Poster Presentation Award, 4th IABMR Annual Conference
2005-07 NIH National Library of Medicine Fellowship
2006-08 AOL Research Grant for studying biomarkers in cancer and other diseases (PI)
2008-13 NDSU New Faculty Start-up Award (PI)
2009-11 NSF ND EPSCoR New Faculty Grant (PI)
2009-10 NDSU Professional Development Grant (PI)
2010-11 NSF ND EPSCoR Infrastructure Improvement Program-Seed Grant (PI)
2010-11 Sigma-Tau Medical Educational Grant (PI)
2010-13 NSF MRI Grant (Minor User; PI: S. Mallik)
2011- COBRE- sponsored Center for Visual and Cognitive Neuroscience Project Grant (PI)
2011-12 NDSU Provost Travel and Research Fund 1 (PI)
2012-13 NDSU Provost Travel and Research Fund 2 (PI)
2012- COBRE-sponsored Center of Protease Research Project Grant (PI)
2013- NDSU Provost Travel and Research Fund
Featured News on Our Research
1997 Expression of members of the novel membrane linked metalloproteinase family A Disintegrin and Metalloproteinase in cells derived from a range of haematological malignancies. Shanghai Research Centre of Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China. July 4, 1997
1997 Proteins with a Disintegrin and Metalloproteinase domain and drugs. Hunan Institute and Drug Control and Hunan Society of Pharmacology, Changsha, China. July 11, 1997
1997 Proteins with a Disintegrin and Metalloproteinase domain and drugs. Hunan Medicine and Drug Industry Institute, Changsha, China, July 11, 1997
1997 Expression of members of the novel membrane linked metalloproteinase family A Disintegrin and Metalloproteinase in cells derived from a range of haematological malignancies. “The 5th Symposium on Life Sciences and Biotechnology for Chinese Bio-scientists Overseas & Returned”. June 27-30, 1997, Peking University, Beijing, China
1997 ADAM: A novel membrane linked metalloproteinase family. The sixth Annual Conference of Life Science Society for Chinese Bioscientists in the UK (LSSCB), Oxford, UK, September 20-21, 1997
1998 ADAM10, ADAM12 and ADAM15 gene expression in the U937 human histiocytic lymphoma cell line: regulation of gene expression by IL10, IL4 and PMA. Conference on “Intermolecular Cross-Talk in Tumor Metastasis”. Athens, Greece, July 24-August 3, 1998
2002 PKCbeta: a rational therapeutic target in Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma. Selected for oral presentation by American Society of Hematology annual meeting on Dec, 10, 2002, Pennsylvania, USA
2003 Novel Approaches to Treating Cancer: Rational Treatment Targets and Proteasome Inhibition. Wuhan Bio-Products Institute, Wuhan, Sept, 16, 2003
2003 Novel Approaches to Treating Cancer: Rational Treatment Targets and Proteasome Inhibition. Hunan Institute for Drug Control, Changsha, Sept 19, 2003
2003 Novel Approaches to Treating Cancer: Rational Treatment Targets and Proteasome Inhibition. Hunan Medical University, Changsha, Sept 24, 2003
2003 Novel Approaches to Treating Cancer: Rational Treatment Targets and Proteasome Inhibition. Hunan Agricultural University, Colleges of Sciences and Graduate Studies, Changsha, Sept 25, 2003
2003 Novel Approaches to Treating Cancer: Rational Treatment Targets and Proteasome Inhibition. Hunan Tumor Hospital, Changsha, Sept 25, 2003
2004 Targets Identification & Validation: A Case Study of Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma. The 2nd International Forum on Advanced Pharmaceutical Technology and Business Development Strategies, Haikou, July 22-24, 2004
2004 Targets Identification & Validation: A Case Study of Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma. “Shanghai 2004 Bio-Forum/Tri-Conferences”. Shanghai, July 23-27, 2004
2005 Modern Technology in Drug Discovery. “The 2nd International Conference on the Modernization of Traditional Chinese Medicine” Chengdu, China. Sept 25-27, 2005
2005 Modern Technology in Drug Discovery. Institute of Medicinal Plant Development, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences. Beijing, China. Sept 22, 2005
2006 Mechanisms of Anticancer Traditional Chinese Medicine, Featured presentation in the third International Association of Biological and Medical Research (IABMR). Boston, MA. Dec 7, 2006
2007 Mechanisms of Anticancer Natural Products. Drug Discovery & Development: From Small Molecules to Biotherapeutics, SAPA-NE, Boston. Feb 24, 2007
2007 Mechanisms of Anticancer TCM. Invited speaker, SAPA 2007 China Conference, Shanghai. July 3, 2007
2008 Cancer Therapeutics: Target and Treatment. Invited speaker, Weekly Seminar in Pharmaceutics Sciences, Northeastern University, Boston. Jan 31, 2008
2008 Platelet-derived growth factor signaling & targeted cancer therapy. 13th Annual Conference of Chinese Biopharmaceutical Association,10th Shanghai Bio-Forum, Shanghai. May 28-30, 2008
2008 Cancer therapeutic targets, biomarkers and drug discovery, IABMR Member Symposium, Boston. June 7, 2008
2009 Cancer Therapeutics: Target and Drug Discovery, NDSU Molecular and Cellular Biology Program, Fargo. Oct 22, 2009
2012 Cancer Therapeutics: Target and Drug Discovery, Sanford Research and Sanford Medical School of South Dakota, Sioux Falls. Jan 19-20, 2012
2012 Cancer Therapeutics: Current Status, the First Annual Meeting of Society for Combined Therapy East Meets West, Boston. Feb 4, 2012
2012 Platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) signaling in medulloblastoma, Professor David W. Li laboratory, College of Medicine, University of Nebraska, Omaha, June 8, 2012
2012 Platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) signaling in medulloblastoma, College of Engineering and Architecture, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND September 12, 2012
2012 Therapeutic target and drug discovery in medulloblastoma and neuroblastoma, The Scott & White/Texas A&M Health Science Center/College of Medicine Center for Cell Death and Differentiation, Temple, TX. November 27-29, 2012
2013 Therapeutic target and drug discovery in medulloblastoma and neuroblastoma, College of Biological Sciences and Engineering. South China University of Technology, Guangzhou, China. January 28, 2013
2013 Therapeutic target and drug discovery in medulloblastoma and neuroblastoma, COBRE Center of Proteinase Research, NDSU, Fargo, February 5, 2013.
2013 Therapeutic target and drug discovery in medulloblastoma and neuroblastoma, Hunan Institute for Food and Drug Control, Changsha, August 2, 2013.
2013 Therapeutic target and drug discovery in medulloblastoma and neuroblastoma, Xi’an Jiaotong University Medical School, Xi’an, August 5, 2013.
1. Wu E, Zhang N, Ge W, Liang X, Cai Y. Studies on the Trace Elements in Lonicera japonica and L. macranthoides. Chinese Traditional and Herbal Drugs. Vol.19, No.6, 1988 (“Outstanding Paper” awarded by Hunan Trace Elements and Health Study Society in 1989).
2. Zhang N, Wu E, Ge W, Liang X, Cai Y. Studies on the Trace Elements in Paeonia Lactiflora and Their Relations with Quality of the Crude Drug. Traditional Chinese Medicine and Clinical Research, No.1, 1988.
3. Zhang N, Wu E, Ge W, Liang X, Cai Y. The Study on the Relationship Between Content of Trace Elements and Quality in 4 Species of Traditional Chinese Medicine Used for Hepatitis. Traditional Chinese Medicine and Clinical Research, No.2, 1988.
4. Zhang N, Wu E. A Review on Studies of Trace Elements of Chinese Materia Medica. Traditional Chinese Medicine and Clinical Research, No.4, 1988.
5. Wu E, Zhang N. Pharmacognostical Studies on the Natural Bezoar and Its Similar Gallstone. Traditional Chinese Medicine and Clinical Research, No.1, 1992.
6. Zhang N. et al. Hunan Traditional Chinese Medicine Criteria (one of contributors). Hunan Science and Technology Press, 1993.
7. Wu E, Croucher PI, McKie N. Expression of members of the novel membrane linked metalloproteinase family A disintegrin and metalloproteinase in cells derived from a range of haematological malignancies. Biochem Biophys Res Comm. 235:437-442, 1997.
8. Millichip M, Dallas DJ, Wu E, Dale S, McKie N. The metallo-disintegrin ADAM10 (MADM) from bovine kidney possesses in vitro type IV collagenase activity. Biochem Biophys Res Comm. 245:594-598. 1998.
9. Wang F, Wu E. Quantitative Determination of Ginsenoside Rg1 in Baoyuanchangyang Capsule by TLCS. Life Science Research. Vol.3, No. 3, 177-181, 1998.
10. Wu E, McKie N. ADAMs: A Novel Protein Family with Metalloproteinase And Adhesion Domains. pp263-290. In Intermolecular Cross-Talk in Tumor Metastasis, NATO Science Series (IOS press, Amsterdam, Netherlands), editors: G.Nicolson-G.Skouteris, 1999.
11. Wu E, McKie N. ADAM10 (MADM), ADAM12 (mdc9) and ADAM15 (metargidin) expression in the U937 human histiocytic lymphoma cell line: regulation of gene expression by IL10, IL4, and PMA. pp291-306. In Intermolecular Cross- Talk in Tumor Metastasis, NATO Science Series (IOS press, Amsterdam, Netherlands), editors: G.Nicolson-G.Skouteris, 1999.
12. Wu E*, Wang F, McKie N. Matrix Metalloproteinases (Monograph), Life Science Research, Vol. 3, No.3, 175-194, 1999 (*corresponding author).
13. Wu E, Mari BP, F. Wang F, Anderson, IC, Sunday M, Shipp MA. Stromelysin-3 Suppresses Tumor Cell Apoptosis in a Murine Model. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, Vol.82. No 4, 549-555, 2001.
14. Chen N, Ma WY, She QB, Wu E, Liu G, Bode AM, Dong Z. Transactivation of the epidermal growth factor receptor is involved in 12-O-tetradecanoyl-phorbol-13-acetate-induced signal transduction. Journal of Biological Chemistry, Vol.276, 46722-46728, 2001.
15. Fromigue, O, Louis K, Wu E, Nathalie B, Agnes L, Shipp MA, Auberger P, Mari B. Active Stromelysin-3 (MMP-11) increases MCF-7 survival in three-dimensional Matrigel culture via activation of P42/p44 MAP-kinase. International Journal of Cancer, Vol 106, 355-363, 2003.
16. Wu E*, Yin D, Wang F. Applications of RNA Interference in Biomedical Research. Life Science Research, Vol 9, 2005 (*corresponding author).
17. Wu E*, Yin D, Wang F. Recent Development in RNAi. Trends in Bio/Pharmaceutical Industry, Vol. 3, 25-27, 2005 (*corresponding author).
18. Tian Z, Zhou L, Huang F, Chen S, Yang J, Wu E, Xiao P, Yang M. Anticancer activities and mechanisms of 25-anhydrocimigenol-3-O-β-D-xylopyranoside isolated from Souliea vaginata on hepatomas. Anti-Cancer Drugs, Vol. 17, No. 5, 545-551, 2006.
19. Tian Z, Si J, Chen S, Yang M, Xiao P, Wu E. Cytotoxicity and mechanism of 23-O-acetylcimigenol-3-O-β-D-xylopyranoside on HepG2 cells. China Journal of Chinese Materia Medica, Vol. 31, No. 21, 1818-1821, 2006.
20. Tian Z*, Liu Y, Chen S, Yang J, Xiao P, Wang L, Wu E*. Cytotoxicty of Two Triterpenoids from Nigella glanddulifera. Molecules, Vol. 11, 693-699, 2006 (*corresponding author).
21. Zhang H, Bajrazzewski N*, Wu E*, Wang H, Moseman, AP, Dabora SL, Griffin JD, Kwiatkowski DJ. PDGF receptors are critical for PI3K/AKT activation and negatively regulated by mTOR. Journal of Clinical Investigation, Vol 117, No 3, 2007 (*equal author).
22. Tian Z, Xu L, Chen S, Zhou L, Yang M, Chen S, Xiao P, Wu E. Cytotoxic Activity of Schisandrolic and Isoschisandrolic Acids Involves Induction of Apoptosis. Chemotherapy, 53 (4), 257-262, 2007.
23. Tian Z*, Pan R, Chang Q, Si J, Xiao P, Wu E*. Cimicifuga foetida extract inhibits proliferation of hepatocellular carcinoma via induction of cell cycle arrest and apoptosis. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, Nov 1; 114 (2):227-233, 2007 (*corresponding author).
24. Tian Z, Si J, Chang Q, Li Q, Zhou L, Chen S, Xiao P, Wu E*. Antitumor activity and mechanisms of action of total glycosides from aerial part of Cimicifuga dahurica targeted against Hepatoma. BMC Cancer, 7:237, 2007 (*corresponding author).
25. Tian Z, Shen J, Moseman AP, Yang QL, Yang JS, Xiao PG, Wu E*, Kohane IS. Dulxanthone A induction of cell cycle arrest and apoptosis via p53 and mitochondria pathway in HepG2 cells. International Journal of Cancer, 122(1):31-8, 2008 (*corresponding author).
26. Wu E, Palmer N, Moseman AP, Tian Z, Galdzicki M, Wang X, Berger B, Zhang H, Kohane IS. Dissection of PDGF signaling in PDGFR genetically defined cells. PLoS ONE, Nov, 3(11):e3794, 2008
27. Wu E*. Remembering Dr. Judah Folkman, Father of Angiogenesis. Trends in Bio/Pharmaceutical Industry. (invited). Aug, 2008 (*corresponding author).
28. Fiorina P, Vergani A, Dada S, Jurewicz M, Law K, Wu E, Tian Z, Abdi R, Dunussi-Joannopoulos K, Roddig S, Sayegh MH. Reversal of autoimmune diabetes after anti-CD22 therapy in NOD mice. Diabetes. Nov; 57 (11):3013-24, 2008.
29. Tian Z, An N, Zhou B, Xiao P, Kohane IS, Wu E*. Cytotoxic diarylheptanoid induces cell cycle arrest and apoptosis via increasing ATF3 and stabilizing p53 in SH-SY5Y cells. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology. May; 63 (6):1131-9, 2009. (*corresponding author).
30. Tian Z, Palmer N, Schmid, P, Yao H, Galdzichi, M, Berger B*, Wu E*, Kohane IS. A practical platform for global gene expression profiling analysis based on bead array and peripheral whole blood samples. PLoS ONE. Apr. 4(4):e5157, 2009 (*corresponding author).
31. Wang S, Qian Liu Q, Zhang Y, Liu K, Yu P, Liu K, Luan J, Duan H, Lu Z , Wang F, Wu E, Yagasaki K, Zhang G. Suppression of growth, migration and invasion of highly-metastatic human breast cancer cells by berbamine and its molecular mechanisms of action. Molecular Cancer. 8:81, 2009.
32. Yu P, Liu Q, Liu K, Yagasaki K, Wu E, Zhang G. Matrine suppresses breast cancer cell proliferation and invasion via VEGF-Akt-NF-kappaB signaling. Cytotechnology. Apr; 59 (3):219-29, 2009.
33. Ma J, Meng Y, Kwiatkowski DJ, Chen X, Peng H, Sun Q, Zha X, Wang F, Wang Y, Jing Y, Zhang S, Chen R, Wang L, Wu E, Cai G, Malinowska-Kolodziej I, Liao Q, Liu Y, Zhao Y, Sun Q, Xu K, Dai J, Han J, Wu L, Zhao RC, Shen H, Zhang H. Mammalian target of rapamycin regulates murine and human cell differentiation through STAT3/p63/Jagged/Notch cascade. Journal of Clinical Investigation. Jan 4; 120 (1):103-14, 2010.
34. Fiorina P, Jurewicz1 M, Vergani A, Augello, Masie Wong M, Godwin JG, Law K, Wu E, Tian Z, Thoma G, Kovarik J, Rosa SL, Capella C, Rodig S, Zerwes HG, Sayegh MH, Abdi R. Target of the CXCR4-CXCL12 axis mobilizes autologous hematopoietic stem cells and prolongs islet allograft survival via PD-L1-mediated immunoregulation. Journal of Immunology. Jan 1;186 (1):121-3, 2011.
35. Ferrazzi F, Engel FB, Wu E, Moseman AP, Kohane IS, Bellazzi R, Ramoni MF. Inferring cell cycle feedback regulation from gene expression data. Journal of Biomedical Informatics. Feb 16;44(4):565-75. 2011.
36. Zhang M, Ma Q, Hu HT, Zhang D, Li JH, Ma GD, Bhat K, Wu E. Stem cell factor/c-kit signaling enhances invasion of pancreatic cancer cells via HIF-1α under normoxic condition. Cancer Letters. 303(2):108-17. Feb 12, 2011.
37. Li J, Ma Q*, Liu H, Guo K, Li K, Li W, Han L, Wang F, Wu E*. Relationship between neural alteration and perineural invasion in pancreatic cancer patients with hyperglycemia. PLoS ONE. Feb 28; 6(2):e17385. 2011 (*corresponding author).
38. Lun M, Gautam S, Wu E, Wong ET. The Natural History of Extracranial Metastasis from Glioblastoma Multiforme. Journal of Neuro-Oncology. Apr 22; 105:261-273. 2011.
39. Shan T, Ma Q, Liu H, Wang F, Wu E. β2-adrenoceptor blocker synergizes with gemcitabine to inhibit the proliferation of pancreatic cancer cells through apoptosis induction. European Journal of Pharmacology. May 7; 665(1-3):1-7.2011.
40. Tian Z*, Shen J, Wang F, Xiao P, Yang J, Lei H, Kazlauskas A, Kohane IS, Wu E*. Cambogin is preferentially cytotoxic to cells expressing PDGFR. PLoS ONE. Jun 21; 6(6): e21370. 2011 (*corresponding author).
41. Purwaha P, Gu Y, Kelavkar U, Kang JX, Law B, Wu E, Qian SY. LC/ESR/MS study of pH-dependent radical generation from 15-LOX catalyzed DPA peroxidation. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. Jul 19; 51, 1461–1470, 2011.
42. Wang F, Bhat K, Doucette M, Zhou S, Gu Y, Law B, Liu X, Wong ET, Kang JX, Hsieh TC, Qian SY, Wu E*. Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) sensitizes brain tumor cells to etoposide-induced apoptosis. Current Molecular Medicine. Aug 1;11(6):503-11. 2011 (*corresponding author).
43. Shan T, Ma Q, Guo K, Liu J, Li W, Wang F, Wu E. Xanthones from Mangosteen Extracts as Natural Chemopreventive Agents: Potential Anticancer Drugs. Current Molecular Medicine. Sep 9, Vol.11. No.8, 2011.
44. Han L, Ma Q, Li J, Liu H, Li W, Ma G, Xu Q, Zhou S, Wu E. High glucose promotes pancreatic cancer cells proliferation via induction the expression of EGF and the transactivation of EGFR. PLoS One. 6(11):e27074. Nov 8. 2011.
45. Zhang D, Ma Q*, Wang Z, Zhang M, Guo K, Wang F, Wu E*. Beta2-adrenoceptor blockage induces G1/S phase arrest and apoptosis in pancreatic cancer cells via Ras/Akt/NFkappaB pathway. Molecular Cancer. Nov 26;10(1):146. 2011 (*corresponding author).
46. Tian Z, Sun Y, Xiao P, Wu E. Recent advances in natural bioactive cycloartane triterpenoids. Recent Progress in Medicinal Plants Volume 31: Mechanism and Action of Phytoconstituents (Editors: Awaad, AS; Kaushik, G; Govil, JN). Studium Press. pp. 49-63, 2011
47. Li W, Ma Q, Liu J, Han L, Ma G, Liu H, Shan T, Xie K, Wu E. Hyperglycemia as a mechanism of pancreatic cancer metastasis. Frontiers in Bioscience. January 1; 17, 1761-1774. 2012.
48. Li W, Ma Q, Wu E. Perspectives on the Role of Photodynamic Therapy in the Treatment of Pancreatic Cancer. International Journal of Photoenergy. Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 637429, 9 pages, 2012.
49. Zhang G*, Wang S, Wan X, Zhang Y, Li J, Liu K, Wang F, Liu K, Yang C, Liu Q, Yu P, Huang Y, Wang S, Jiang P, Qu Z, Luan J, Duan H, Hou A, Zhang L, Jin S, Hsieh T, Wu E*. Anti-cancer activities of tea epigallocatechin-3-gallate in breast cancer patients under radiotherapy. Current Molecular Medicine. Feb 1;12(2):163-76. 2012 (*corresponding author).
50. Bhat K, Wang F*, Ma Q, Li Q, Mallik S, Hsieh TC, Wu E*. Advances in biomarker research for pancreatic cancer. Current Pharmaceutical Design. 18(17):2439-51. 2012 (*corresponding author).
51. Liu H, Ma Q, Xu Q, Lei J, Li X, Wang Z, Wu E. Therapeutic potential of perineural invasion, hypoxia and desmoplasia in pancreatic cancer. Current Pharmaceutical Design. 18(17):2395-403. 2012.
52. Li X, Ma Q, Xu Q, Duan W, Lei J, Wu E. Targeting the cancer-stroma interaction: a potential approach for pancreatic cancer treatment. Current Pharmaceutical Design. 18(17):2404-15. 2102.
53. Zhang R, Wang Z, Howson PA, Xia Z, Zhou S, Wu E, Xia Z, Hu Y. Smilagenin Attenuates Beta Amyloid (25-35)-Induced Degeneration of Neuronal Cells via Stimulating the Gene Expression of Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor. Neuroscience. Mar 13, [Epub 2012] 210:275-85. 2012.
54. Li X, Ma Q, Xu Q, Liu H, Lei J, Duan W, Bhat K, Wang F, Wu E, Wang Z. SDF-1/CXCR4 signaling induces pancreatic cancer cell invasion and epithelial-mesenchymal transition in vitro through non-canonical activation of Hedgehog pathway. Cancer Letters. Sep 28;322(2):169-76. 2012.
55. Liu J, Zhang M, Ma Q, Wang X, Zhang D, Li W, Wang F, Wu E. Alterations of TP53 are associated with a poor outcome for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma: Evidence from a systematic review and meta-analysis. European Journal of Cancer. Oct;48(15):2328-38, 2012.
56. Doonan B, Wu E, Wu J. Prevention and management of obesity by isoflavones. In Food and Nutritional Components in Focus: Chemistry, Analysis, Function and Effects (The Royal Society of Chemistry). Chapter 33, 535-8, 2012.
57. Li X, Ma Q, Duan W, Wu E. Paracrine sonic hedgehog signaling derived from tumor epithelial cells: a key regulator in the pancreatic tumor microenvironment. Critical Reviews in Eukaryotic Gene Expression. 22(2):97-108. 2102.
58. Lun M, Lok E, Gautam S, Wu E, Wong ET. Reply to Dr. Beauchesne. Journal of Neuro-Oncology. August 21, 2012.
59. Li X, Ma G, Ma Q*, Li W, Liu J, Han J, Duan W, Xu Q, Liu H, Wang Z, Sun Q, Wang F, Wu E*. Neurotransmitter substance P in nerves mediates pancreatic cancer perineural invasion via NK-1R in cancer cells. Molecular Cancer Research. Jan 23, 2013. [Epub ahead of print] (*corresponding author).
60. Wu E*, Zhou S, Bhat K, Ma Q. CA 19-9 and Pancreatic Cancer. Clinical Advances in Hematology & Oncology. Invited. Feb 2, 2013 (*corresponding author).
61. Huang H, Weaver A, Wu E, Gao H, Fan W, Wu M. Lipid based signaling modulates DNA repair response and survival in host cells and in mice. American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology. Jun 6, 2013. [Epub ahead of print]
62. Wang X, Wu E, Wu J, Wang T, Hsieh H, Liu X. An Antimitotic and Antivascular Agent BPR0L075 Overcomes Multidrug Resistance and Induces Mitotic Catastrophe in Paclitaxel-Resistant Ovarian Cancer Cells. PLoS ONE. 8(6): e65686. 2013.
63. Lei J, Ma J, Ma Q, Li X, Liu H, Xu Q, Duan W, Sun Q, Xu J, Wu Z, Wu E. Hedgehog signaling regulates hypoxia induced EMT and invasion in pancreatic cancer cells via a ligand-independent manner. Mol Cancer. Jun 20;12(1):66. 2013
64. Shan T, Ma J, Ma Q*, Guo K, Guo J, Li X, Li W, Liu J, Huang C, Wang F, Wu E* β2-AR-HIF-1α: a novel regulatory axis for stress-induced pancreatic tumor growth and angiogenesis. Current Molecular Medicine. Vol. 13, No. 6, 2013. (*corresponding author).
65. Wu E. Discovering new anticancer activities from old drugs. Current Medicinal Chemistry. Jul 24, 2013. [Epub ahead of print]
66. Zhou S, Wang F*, Hsieh T, Wu JM, Wu E*. Thalidomide–a notorious sedative to a wonder anticancer drug. Current Medicinal Chemistry. Aug 5, 2013. [Epub ahead of print] (*corresponding author).
67. Zhou S, Wang F, Wong ET, Fonkem E, Hsieh TC, Wu JM, Wu E*. Salinomycin: A Novel Anti-Cancer Agent with Known Anti-Coccidial Activities. Current Medicinal Chemistry. Aug 5, 2013. [Epub ahead of print] (*corresponding author).
68. Guo J, Ma Z, Ma Q*, Wu Z, Fan P, Zhou X, Chen L, Zhou S, Goltzman D, Miao D, Wu E*. 1,25(OH)2D3 inhibits hepatocellular carcinoma development through reducing secretion of inflammatory cytokines from immunocytes. Current Medicinal Chemistry. Aug 23, 2013. [Epub ahead of print] (*corresponding author).
69. Han L, Peng B, Ma Q, Ma J, Li J, Li W, Duan W, Chen C, Liu J, Xu Q, Laporte K, Li Z, Wu E. Indometacin ameliorates high glucose-induced proliferation and invasion via modulation of E-cadherin in pancreatic cancer cells. Current Medicinal Chemistry. Aug 26, 2013. [Epub ahead of print]
70. Li W, Ma J, MA Q, Han L, Liu J, Xu Q, Duan W, Yu S, Li B, Wang F, Wu E. Resveratrol inhibits epithelial-mesenchymal transition of pancreatic cancer cells via suppressing PI-3K/Akt/NF-κB pathway. Current Medicinal Chemistry. Aug 26, 2013. [Epub ahead of print]
71. Hsieh TC, Bennett DJ, Lee YS, Wu E, Wu JM. In silico and biochemical analyses identify quinone reductase 2 as a target of piceatannol. Current Medicinal Chemistry. Aug 26, 2013. [Epub ahead of print]
72. Aquilato A, Lopez V, Doonan B, Hsieh TC, Pinto JT, Wu E, Wu JM. Dietary polyphenols as adjunctive strategy targeting BRAF mutation in treatment of melanoma, in Polyphenols in Human Health and Disease (Editors: Ronald Ross Watson, Victor R. Preedy, and Sherma Zibadi) (Elsevier). In press.
73. Li F, Huang G, Li J, Privratsky B, Ye, Yang, Wu E, Gao H, Wu M. Lyn cooperating with lipid rafts regulates inflammatory responses in Klebsiella pneumoniae infection through the p38/NF-κB pathway. Minor revising for Journal of Immunology.
74. Duan W, Ma J, Ma Q, Li X, Han L, Xu Q, Lei J, Wang Z, Lv S, Sun Q, Wu E. The Activation of β1-integrin by Type I Collagen Coupling with the Hedgehog Pathway Promotes the Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition in Pancreatic Cancer Cells. Submitted.
75. Wang F, Remke, Bhat K, Wong ET, Zhou S, Ramaswamy V, Dubuc A, Fonkem E, Salem S, Zhang H, Hsieh TC, O'Rourke S, Li DW, Hawkins C, Kohane IS, Wu M, Wu JM, Taylor MD, Wu E*. PDGFRβ-MYC-JAG2 axis promotes medulloblastoma progression. Submitted (*corresponding author).
76. Li W, Ma Q, Li J, Han L, Ma G, Liu J, Liu H, Wang F, Wu E. TXNIP/P38 MAPK axis: a novel mechanism for glucose-induced increase of ROS in human pancreatic cancer. Submitted.
77. Li J, Ma Q, Liu H, Gou K, Li W, Han L, Wang Z, Wang F, Xie K, Wu E. Hyperglycemic Tumor Microenvironment Induces Perineural Invasion in Pancreatic Cancer. Submitted.
78. Shan T, Ma J, Qingyong Ma Q, Liu J, Guo K, Guo J, Li W, Wu E. Fruit and vegetable intake and the incidence of pancreatic cancer: a meta-analysis. Submitted.
79. Vergani A, Gatti F, Lee KM, Francesca D’Addio F, Tezza S, Chin M, Bassi R, Tian Z, Wu E, Maffi, P, Antonio Secchi A, Markmann JF, Rothstein DM, Turka LA, Sayegh MA, Fiorina P. TIM4 regulates the anti-islet Th2 alloimmune response. Submitted.
80. Zhou P, Wu E, Velmahos GC, Alam HB, Li Y. Histone Cleavage as a Mechanism for Epigenetic Regulation: Current Insights and Perspectives. Submitted.
81. Zhao T, Li Y, Liu B, Wu E, Sillesen M, Velmahos GC, Alam HB. Histone Deacetylase inhibitor SAHA Attenuates Coagulation Imbalance in Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock. Submitted.
82. Liu J, Ma Q, Li W, Wu Z, Shan T, Zhang D, Wang X, Han L, Yi S, Wu Z, Wu E. Arginine deiminase augments the sensitivity of argininosuccinate synthetase-deficient pancreatic cancer cells to gemcitabine via inhibition of NF-κB signaling. Submitted.
PSCI412/612 Chemotherapeutic/Infectious Disease Pharmacodynamics
PSCI 417/617 Pharmacogenomics
Intellectual property to NDSU
I. RET-418. Identification of salinomycin's novel therapeutic binding targets in cancers.2012
II. RFT-409. Discovery of novel prognostic factors in medulloblastoma. 2012
III. RFT-406. Discovery of Tea Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate EGCG as an anticancer agent for clinic use. 2012
IV. RFT-386. Discovery of a novel method for identification of drug binding targets and DNA binding proteins. 2011
V. RFT-384. Identification of cambogin as a novel anti-cancer agent. 2011