Central Dogma of Molecular Genetics
Restriction-Modification Systems of Bacteria
Clone Library Screening
Southern and Northern Analysis
Exons and Introns
Polymerase Chain Reaction (or PCR)
Cloning and Molecular Analysis of Genes WWW Links
Copyright © 1997. Phillip McClean
- What are the basic features of the restriction-modification system found in bacteria?
- Describe the features that distinguish plasmid, phage, lambda, BAC and YAC cloning vectors.
- Describe the essential steps for obtaining a clone of a specific fragment of DNA.
- What are the different types of information that you would obtain from performing a Southern or Northern hybridization.
- How would you describe the relationship between exons, introns, the gene and its mRNA?
- Describe the essential steps of the polymerase chain reaction.