COMM 431, Communication Ethics
Instructor: Ross Collins
Midterm study guide.
The exam may include questions based on the Judith A. Boss textbook chapters, lectures, video clips, class discussions and exercises. Chapters covered: 1-5, 7-9.
Below are general questions regarding topics to be covered on the exam. These may or may not be (and usually are not) the actual questions. Note exam questions may include material not reviewed below. Students should study all materials as noted above.
The exam will comprise 30 multiple-choice questions. Due to the size of the class, you will need to bring a scan sheet and pencil.
1. Describe the ethical perspective of Immanuel Kant's philosophy.
2. Describe the approach of Socrates to the development of ethical standards.
3. Describe the three-level pyramid used to develop moral reasoning, as depicted in the text.
4. What is epistemology?
5. What is the difference between the ethical principle of the Golden Mean and the Golden Rule?
6. In what ways was journalism ethics different in the nineteenth century?
7. Making ethical decisions on a case-by-case basis is most closely related to which ethical philosophy?
8. Describe the famous ethical case called the "Heintz Dilemma."
9. Which philosopher is most closely related to deontological ethics?
10. Which philosopher is most closely related to teleological ethics?
11. What was a problem with the ethical principle of objectivity, as defined by journalists during the 1950s "McCarthy Era?"
12. What ethical philosophy emphasizes "greatest good for greatest number?"
13. What was the point of the Shirley Sherrod ethics case discussed in class?
14. Ayn Rand might be most likely to support which ethical philosophy?
15. Some duty-based ethical philosophers say lying might be justified. What criteria might be used to justify?
16. Describe ethics based on the divine command theory.
17. W.D. Ross's set up six prima facie duties. Name two.
18. Name two more.
19. What is John Rawls' "original position?"
20. What argument commonly is used by those who oppose publishing names of juveniles who commit a crime?
21. What was the point of the Quran book-burning case we discussed in class?
22. What protection does U.S. law give regarding right to privacy of public figures or public officials?
23. What is the difference between a value, an attitude and a behavior?