A Few Petrology Links
Lab 423/623 Syllabus
Student Projects 2012
Student Projects 2010
Student Projects 2008
Student Projects 2006
Student Projects 2004
NDSU Geosciences Petrology 422/622
Petrology, Petrography, and Geochemistry Links Page
Petrology and Optical Microscopy
Recalculation of Mineral Chemical (microprobe) Analysis
- Links page for Optical Mineralogy and Petrography at the SERC Cutting Edge web site http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/mineralogy/optical_mineralogy_petrography.html
- Petrology lecture notes from Tulane University (http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/eens212/index.html#Lecture%20Notes)
An impressive and complete set of igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic petrology lecture notes, in both html and PDF formats.
- A links page for mineralogy and petrology resources, by John Winter (http://www.whitman.edu/geology/winter/MinPetLinks.htm)
- Optical Mineralogy Course Notes from Tulane University (http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/eens211/index.html)
Course notes on Optical Mineralogy can be found in both html and PDF formats on the Tulane University Geology Dept. web site.
- MicroView: A stand-alone Java applet to dynamically browse micrograph images (virtual petrographic microscope) under development here at NDSU
- Minerals under the Microscope (http://www.gly.bris.ac.uk/www/teach/opmin/mins.html) from University of Bristol Earth Sciences
- The Open University's Virtual Microscope http://met.open.ac.uk/vms/dualviewj.html)
- U. North Carolina Atlas of Igneous & Metamorphic Rocks, Minerals, & Textures
- Petrographic Workshop (http://www.pslc.ucla.edu/pet/pet_intro.html) is an interactive database designed to help students and teachers better deal with the important and challenging discipline of petrography. The program is designed as a source of mineralogical information used in the identification process of rocks and minerals.
- The Rock Identification Key - by Don Peck
- Mineralogy and Petrology Research on the Web Links List by Andrea Koziol
- The Sonju Lake Intrusion, Northern Minnesota (http://www.macalester.edu/geology/sonju/sonjuhome.html)
Pictures and descriptions of outcrops, and chemistry from the famous layered mafic intrusion in the Duluth Complex. Hosted by Karl Wirth of Macalester College, St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Oman Ophiolite Pictures (http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Geol/vft/oman.html)
Pictures and descriptions of outcrops from the famous ophiolite in Oman.
- Roberto Weinberg's Geosite (http://users.monash.edu.au/~weinberg/)
Including pictures of Physical Igneous Petrology, Magmatic Structures, Mingling of Pegmatites and Diorites, Layering, Segregation structures, and more
- Practical Aspects of Mineral Thermobarometry (http://www.earth.ox.ac.uk/~davewa/pt/index.html)
A tutorial with links to software, by Dave Waters.
Geochemical Modeling, Databases of Whole-Rock Geochemical Analyses for Igneous Rocks, Plotting programs:
- MELTS Home Page
- PhasePlot,a computational thermodynamics package for calculating and visualizing phase relations on pressure-temperature grids. PhasePlot.org
- EarthChem, a 'One-stop-shop for geochemical data': http://www.earthchem.org/ with links to a number of databases.
- Georoc: http://georoc.mpch-mainz.gwdg.de/georoc/
- Navdat: Late Cretaceous to Holocene extrusive and intrusive igneous rocks from the western United States, British Columbia, and northern Mexico. http://www.navdat.org/index.cfm
- PetDB - A Petrological Database of the Ocean Floor: http://www.petdb.org/
- Geokem: http://www.geokem.com/index.html
- U.S. National Geochemical Database: Rock from the USGS. tin.er.usgs.gov/ngdb/rock/
- PETROS, a worldwide database of igneous rock geochemistry: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/geology/petros.html
- IGBA - IGneous data BAse - Global Database in Igneous Petrology: http://www.koka.ac.jp/yamamoto/igba/igba.htm
- Volcanic Glass Data File, Smithsonian Institution: http://mineralsciences.si.edu/research/glass/vg.htm
- PETLAB , is a New Zealand rock catalogue and geoanalytical database. It contains locations, descriptions and analyses of rock and mineral samples collected from onland and offshore New Zealand and Antarctica by government, university and industry geologists. Information has been sourced from journal articles, theses, and open file reports. PETLAB is operated by the GNS and cooperating universities.
- IGPET is a suite of applications by Michael Carr for PC and Mac to manipulate and plot geochemical data. https://sites.google.com/site/igpethome/
GeoChemicalData ToolKIT, or in short GCDkit, is a Windows program written by V. Janousek, C. M. Farrow, V. Erban & J. Smid for handling and recalculation of whole-rock analyses from igneous rocks.
* Standard geochemical calculations involving major-, trace-element as well as Sr-Nd data
* Effective data management (searching, grouping)
* Common plots (binary, ternary, spider diagrams)
* Graphic output to publication quality
* Modular architecture (= easily expandable and modifiable)
* Transparent functionality & availability (open sourcefreeware, WWW)
- Petrograph, a program to visualize, elaborate and model geochemical data. http://www.unipg.it/~maurip/SOFTWARE.htm