eForm Troubleshooting Tips
In the event you are not immediately able to access and complete one of the online eForms, please consider attempting the following remedies.
1. Try using an alternative Internet browser
In some cases, various default settings, personalized configurations, or an out-of-date version of your browser software may cause a problem accessing an eForm. If you regularly use one of the following browsers, please try accessing the eForm using one of these other commonly-used browsers:
2. Make sure your version of Java is up-to-date
The eForms require Java software that is, in almost all cases, automatically installed on your computer. In some cases, older computers may not be running the most recent version of Java software. Follow these steps to update your Java software:
- Go to http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
- Click the [Verify Java version] button
- The website will check the version of Java running on your computer and notify you if you need to install an update
- If an update is needed, click the [Download and Install] button and follow the installation steps
- Please note: during the installation of the update you will be asked if you want to also add a third-party browser toolbar or anti-virus software with your Java update. Uncheck the checkbox during that step in the process if you do not want the additional software
- Try accessing the eForm again using any Internet browser (a restart may be required for the software update to take effect)
3. Make sure Internet Explorer 9 "Add-ons" for Java are not disabled
Internet Explorer 9 often prompts users to disable certain browser "add-ons" in an attempt to increase the speed of the browser. As a result, one or more add-ons required for the eForms to function properly may have been unknowingly disabled. Follow these instructions to re-enable the needed add-ons:
- Open the Internet Explorer 9 browser
- Click on the "Tools" menu (or gear icon) and select "Manage Add-ons"
- Scroll down the list of add-ons until you find the "Oracle America, Inc." section
- Locate the add-ons entitled "Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper" and/or "Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper"
- Select one or both of those add-ons, right-click and select "Enable" (or "Enable All")
- Click the [Close] button
- Close any open Internet Explorer windows and relaunch Internet Explorer for the new settings to take effect
- Try accessing the eForm again using Internet Explorer
4. Clear your Java cache
The Java software installed on your computer keeps track of its own Temporary Internet Files history. If any attempt to access an eForm failed, your computer may be recalling the failed attempt each time you try to access the eForm. Please follow these steps to clear your Java history:
- Go to your computer's Control Panel and open "Java (32-bit)"
- In the General tab, under the Temporary Internet Files section, click the [Settings...] button
- In the next window, click the [Delete Files...] button
- Leave the first two checkboxes checked, and click [OK]
- Click [OK] to close all remaining windows and try accessing the eForm again using any Internet browser
5. Clear your browser cache
View the ITS Help Desk page for instructions on Clearing Your Web Browser's Cache, Cookies and History.
6. Contact the Office of Registration and Records
If you are unable to access the eForm, please contact the Office of Registration and Records so the issue can be addressed directly and/or submitted to technical support.