Dr. Aaron Daigh
Assistant Professor of Soil Physics
Office: 147 Walster Hall
NDSU Dept 7680
PO Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Water, solute, gas and heat transport in soils under row crop agriculture, rangeland, and natural ecosystems. Soil residue and water management, crop rotations, and nutrient/agrochemical/industrial byproduct soil amendment impacts on soil physical properties. Agricultural water management and subsurface drainage impacts on water balances and water quality. Soil biological and physical interactions and spatiotemporal dynamics.
Ph.D. Soil Science (Soil Physics) and Environmental Science, 2013
Iowa State University
Dissertation: Soil physical properties, soil carbon dioxide fluxes and soil drainage dynamics of select bioenergy cropping systems. R. Horton (Major Professor), T. Sauer, M. Helmers, R. Cruse, M. Castellano.
M.S. Agronomy, 2009
University of Arkansas
Thesis: Chemical property changes in a Captina silt loam as affected by broiler litter application rate. K. Brye (Major Professor), A. Sharpley, D. Miller, V. Brahana, C. West.
B.S. Environmental, Soil, and Water Science, 2007
Minor: Wildlife Habitat Management
University of Arkansas
2013 to present: Assistant Professor of Soil Physics, Department of Soil Science, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND
2013: Post-Doctoral Research Associate in Drainage Water Quality, Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, Iowa State University
2009-2013: Graduate Research Assistant, Agronomy Department, Iowa State University
2007-2009: Graduate Research Assistant, Crops, Soils, and Environmental Sciences Department, University of Arkansas
2005-2007: Undergraduate Research Assistant, Crops, Soils, and Environmental Sciences Department, University of Arkansas
Soil Physics (433/633), starting in 2014
Advanced Soil Physics (763), starting in 2014
- Daigh, A.L., X. Zhou, M.J. Helmers, C.H. Pederson, R. Ewing, and R. Horton. 2014. Subsurface drainage flow and soil water dynamics of reconstructed prairies and corn rotations for biofuel production. Vadose Zone J. doi:10.2136/vzj2013.10.0177
- Daigh, A.L., T. Sauer, X. Xiao, and R. Horton. 2014. Soil-surface CO2 emission spatial and temporal dynamics in corn rotations and reconstructed prairies. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 78:1338-1350.
- Daigh, A.L., M.J. Helmers, E. Kladivko, X. Zhou, R. Goeken, J. Cavadini, D. Barker, and J. Sawyer. 2014. Soil water during the drought of 2012 as affected by rye cover crops in fields in Iowa and Indiana. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 69:564-573.
- Daigh, A.L., M.C. Savin, K.R. Brye, R. Norman, and D. Miller. 2014. Urea persistence in floodwater and soil used for flooded rice production. Soil Use and Management. doi:10.1111/sum.12142
- McMullen, R.L., R.L., K.R. Brye, D.M. Miller, R.E. Mason, A.L. Daigh, B.C. Menjoulet, A.L. Pirani, E.E. Gbur, and M.A. Evans-White. 2014. Long-term runoff water quality as affected by broiler-litter application to a udult in the Ozark Highlands. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. doi:10.2136/sssaj2014.07.0291
- McGranahan, D.A., A.L. Daigh, J.J. Veenstra, D.M. Engle, J.R. Miller, and D.D. Debinski. 2014. Connecting soil organic carbon and root biomass with land-use and vegetation in temperate grassland. Submitted to Sci. World J. doi:10.1155/2014/487563.
- McMullen, R.L., K.R. Brye, A.L. Daigh, D.M. Miller, E.E. Gbur, A.L. Pirani, M.A. Evans-White, and R.E. Mason. 2014. Long-term leachate water quality trends from a broiler litter-amended Udult in a karst region. Vadose Zone J. doi:10.2136/vzj2014.06.0064
- Wang, E., R. Cruse, X. Chen, and A.L. Daigh. 2012. Effects of moisture condition and freeze/thaw cycles on surface soil aggregate size distribution and stability. Canadian J. Soil Sci. 92(3): 529-536. doi: 10.4141/cjss2010-044.
- Daigh, A.L. 2011. Bioenergy cropping systems effects on soil quality. Soil Surv. Horiz. 52(2):31-34. doi: 10.2136/ssh2011-52-2-1.
- Brye, K.R., A.L. Daigh, B.C. Menjoulet, M.L. Pirani, and C.P. West. 2010. Trends in dry matter yield following differential broiler litter application from a soil enriched with organic matter and phosphorus. Forage and Grazinglands. doi:10.1094/FG-2010-0407-01-RS.
- Daigh, A.L., K.R. Brye, A.N. Sharpley, D. Miller, and E. Gbur. 2010. Broiler litter composition as affected by water extractant, dilution ratio, and extraction time. Comm. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 41:2340-2357.
- Daigh, A.L., K.R. Brye, A.N. Sharpley, D.M. Miller, C. West, and J.V. Brahana. 2009. Five-year change in soil profile chemical properties as affected by broiler litter application rate. Soil Sci. 174: 531-542.
- Savin, M.C., L.C. Purcell, A.L. Daigh, and A. Manfredini. 2009. Response of mycorrhizal infection to glyphosate applications and P fertilization in glyphosate-tolerant soybean, maize, and cotton. J. Plant Nutrition. 32:1702-1717.
- Daigh, A.L. 2014. Surviving the interview and your first year in academic research. Crop, Soil and Agronomy News, December Issue. ASA-CSSA-SSSA, Madison, WI.
- Sedivec, K., C. Piper, J. Printz, A. Wick, A. Daigh, R. Limb. 2014. Successful reclamation of lands disturbed by oil and gas development and infrastructure construction. North Dakota State University Extension Service Pub. R1728
- Daigh, A.L. 2014. With Opportunity Come Great Blessings. Crop, Soil and Agronomy News, March Issue. ASA-CSSA-SSSA, Madison, WI.
- Daigh, A.L. 2012. Iowa’s Nutrients: Agricultural Inputs and Exports. pages 7-9 In: Deborah McDonough (ed.) Getting Into Soil and Water: 2012. Iowa Water Center, Ames, IA.
- Savin, M.C., A.L. Daigh, P. Tomlinson, and R. Norman. 2007. Urea persistence in ponded surface water and a silt-loam soil used for rice production. In: R.J. Norman, J.-F. Meullenet, and K.A.K Moldenhauer (eds.). B.R. Wells Rice Research Studies 2008. University of Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station Research Series. Fayetteville, Ark. 560:202-208.
- Daigh, A.L., M.C. Savin, and L.C. Purcell. 2007. Mycorrhizal infection rates in RoundupReady® row crops in response to glyphosate and phosphorus applications. Discovery: The Student Journal of the Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences. Fayetteville, Ark. 8:50-55.
- Savin, M.C., L.C. Purcell, A.L. Daigh, and A. Manfredini. 2006. Mycorrhizal response in soybean, corn, and cotton to glyphosate applications and P fertilization. In: N.A. Slaton (ed.). Wayne E. Sabbe Arkansas Soil Fertility Studies 2006. University of Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station Research Series. Fayetteville, Ark. 548:49-51.
SSSA, Soil Science Society of America
ASA, American Society of Agronomy
CSSA, Crop Science Society of America
Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Tri-Societies
- S475 Emil Truog Soil Science Award Committee, 2015 – present
- ACS449.11 National Club Poster Presentation Contest Committee. 2015 - present
- ACS031 National Student Advisory Committee, 2013 – present
- ACS530 Early Career Members Committee, 2013 – present
- A449 National Student Award Committee, 2012 – 2013
- A449.8 Student Research Symposium Contest Committee, 2011 – 2013
Chair, 2012 – 2013