Radu N. Carcoana
Office: Walster Hall 149
Office Hours: 8:00 - 5:00, M - F
North Dakota State University – Soil Science Department
- North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota, University Studies-BS
- Technical School of Mining, Bucharest, Romania, Surveying/Geodesy-BS
- Completed selected training Courses to keep abreast with the new technologies over years
- 2013 – Present Research Specialist – Soil Physics
- 2000 – 2013 Research Specialist – NDAWN Center – Operation Manager
- 1995 – 2000 Research Specialist II – NDAWN – Operation Manager
- 1990 – 1995 Research Specialist I – Soil Management Laboratory Supervisor
- 1967 – 1982 Land Surveyor, Cartographer – Bucharest, Romania
- Research Specialist - Soil Management and Soil Physics Laboratory Supervisor, NDSU – 2014 to present .
- Network Operation Manager - North Dakota Agricultural Weather Network, NDSU - 1995 to 2013 .
- Campbell Scientific – Proprietary Programming Certification – 2008 and 1997
- Licensed Commercial Pesticide Applicator 1991 – 2001
- Regional Manager - Institute for Research and Design for Extraction of Oil and Gas – Bucharest.
- Land Surveyor - Crew chief - Institute of Mineral Explorations – Bucharest.
From July 2013, I took over the Soil Physics laboratory, updated and oversee the function of the teaching laboratory.
From 1995 to 2013, I managed the North Dakota Agricultural Weather Network – NDAWN operation (74 Automatic Weather Stations in 4 states) for 18 years: updating/expansion, quality measurements, proprietary programming, marketing, public relations – http://ndawn.ndsu.nodak.edu/
I conducted over 30 research projects for five Principal Investigators (PI) in areas related to environmental sciences (soil management/physics, water/snow/environment quality, meteorology, etc.).
My assets are: an outstanding strong organizational and problem solving skill combined with the capacity of coordinating the logistics of simultaneous, multi-tasks projects. These are proven by my life experience of conducting and coordinating the research projects in surveying for geological and geophysical prospect ions, in soil management and in meteorology/climatology automatic networks Analog/wireless/fiber optics communication.
My colleagues find me a comfortable team partner, energetic that meets challenges head-on, with a high standard of professional ethics and dedication. I always bring with me initiative, a fresh perspective to any issue that comes across and need to be solved, motivation and resolve.
Research and Other Professional Activities (see also Publications and Conferences):
- 2008: Completed Campbell Scientific, Inc. CR1000/Loggernet – 4-day Training Course
- 2004: Recipient of the “2004 NDSU award for Excellence in Research”
- 2001: Manufacturer denied modem communication problems. I replicate in lab; obtained free, new computer chip with voice synthesizer software customized specific to NDAWN/NDSU/North Dakota script.
- 2000 to 2006: Presented a paper and participated at the Western Snow Conference; as a recipient of the University’s President’s Professional Development Award.
- 2000: Attended Automated Weather Station Workshop at Nebraska Center for Continuing Education held at High Plains Climate Center in conjunction with SNRS, UNL, USDA, NOAA, WMO on March 6-10, 2000.
- 2000: Electronic Snow Measurement techniques (see publications) proposed modifications accepted by manufacturer.
- 1999 to present: Provided Calibration services for Iowa State University Weather Network.
- 1997: Completed Campbell Scientific, Inc. CR10X/Loggernet – 4-day Training Course
- 1996 to present: Provided electronic weather monitoring equipment and assistance to other NDSU departments: Plant Pathology, Horticulture, Plant Science, etc. other public and/or private organizations.
- 1996 to present: Participated at over 50 trade shows (ex. Marketplace of Ideas) to promote NDAWN and enhance NDSU image in our community and state. I repeatedly met with our State and Federal Congressional delegation to keep them informed of our progress and needs.
- 1993: Initiated and facilitated $10,750 donation in surveying software from WILD LEITZ USA, Inc. to three departments: Soil Science, Ag. Engineering and Civil Engineering (It’s Happening, 3/17/1993, page 10).
- 1993: Submitted to NDSU President a Grant Proposal for PPRC Implementation of Strategic Themes V “Enhancing the Institutional Environment” of NDSU Century II: Update 92 Strategic Plan: Soil Science Department Computer Networking Plan - (a campus wide initiative).
- 1991 to 1993: Editor and Photographer for “Solum” the Department quarterly newsletter.
Publications and Conferences:
- Adnan Akyuz, Mark Ewens, Radu Carcoana, Barbara Mullins. NWS Frost depth Observation with Liquid-in Probes Performance: 2 year Review
- Attended 74th Annual Western Snow Conference, , May 20-23, 2006, Professional Development Award
- Attended 73rd Annual Western Snow Conference, Great Falls, MT- Apr. 11-14, 2005, Professional Development Award
- Attended 72nd Annual Western Snow Conference, Richmond, BS- Apr 19-22, 2004, Professional Development Award
- Attended 70th Annual Western Snow Conference, Granby, CO, May 20-23, 2002, Professional Development Award
- Attended 69th Annual Western Snow Conference, Sun Valley, ID, April 16-18, 200, Professional Development Award
- Carcoana, Radu, J. W. Enz. 2000. Enhanced Technique For A More Reliable Daily Snow Measurements With An Antifreeze-Based Tipping Bucket Gauge. 68th Annual Western Snow Conference, Port Angeles, WA, April 18-20, 2000, Professional Development Award
- Attended the First Automated Weather Station Workshop at Nebraska Center for Continuing Education held at High Plains Climate Center in conjunction with SNRS, UNL, USDA, NOAA, WMO on March 6-10, 2000.
- Enz, John W., R. Carcoana. 1998. Growing Season Summary for the 1998 Season. Oct. 1998.
- Carcoana, Radu. 1998. North Dakota Agriculture Weather Network. An environmentally sound electronic monitoring system. The Campbell Update, July 1998. Vol. 9 (2):3,5.
- Enz, John W., P.C. Brenk, R. Carcoana. 1996. Humidity and Temperature Measurement in the Sugar beet Canopy. North Dakota State Climatologist Report. Oct. 1996.
- Carcoana, Radu, L. Cihacek, H. Weiser. 1994. Effect of wind erosion sediments on Nitrogen levels of the Sheyene River near Kindred, ND. pp. 196-203. In Proc. North Dakota Water Quality Symposium, March 30-31, 1994. NDSU Ext. Serv.
- Cihacek, Larry, R. Carcoana, J. Arndt. 1994. Relationship to water quality of the spatial variability in organic carbon, total Nitrogen and NO3--N in wind erosion sediments deposited in a wetland margin. pp. 208-215. In Proc. North Dakota Water Symposium, March 30-31, 1994. NDSU Ext. Serv.
- Cihacek, Larry, R. Carcoana, B. Schatz and K Jacobson. 1993. N, P, and K Uptake and Accumulation and Dry Matter Production by Crambe. Agron. Abs. pp. 269. ASA, Madison, WI.
- Cihacek, Larry, R. Carcoana, and K. Jacobson. 1993. Phosphorus and Zinc Fertilization Effects on Dry Matter Yield and Phosphorus and Zinc Uptake by Crambe. J. Plant Nutr. 16(9):1829-1836.
- Cihacek, L.J., D.A. Lizotte, and R. Carcoana. 1991. Phosphorus placement for soybean production in reduced tillage systems. North Dakota Farm Res. 49(1):22-25.
- Seelig, Bruce, R. Carcoana and A. Maianu. 1988. Identification of critical depth and critical salinity of the ground water on North Dakota high water table cropland Research project completion report.
- Maianu, Alex, R. Carcoana. 1987. Presented study activities about Critical depth and critical salinity of ground water in North Dakota. 4th Annual Water Management Workshop, Mandan, ND.
- Carcoana, Radu. 1972. Method to enhance field measurements efficiency in setting a 50 sq. meters grid in mountain area for geophysical research. Institute of Research and Explorations for Minerals, Bucharest, Romania.