Radu N. Carcoana
Research Specialist – Network Operation Manager
Office: Walster Hall 237
Office Hours: 8:00 - 5:00, M - F
North Dakota State University – Soil Science Department
North Dakota Agricultural Weather Network – NDAWN Center
- North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota
- Technical School of Mining, Bucharest, Romania
- Network Engineer/Operation Manager - NDAWN Center – 72 Automatic Weather Stations Network throughout ND spilling into neighboring states of MN, MT and SD.
- Supervisor - Soil Management Laboratory - Soil Science Department, NDSU.
- Land Surveyor / Cartographer - Institute of Mining and Oil Exploration, Romania.
- Network Operation Manager - North Dakota Agricultural Weather Network - NDAWN, NDSU.
- Instrumentation/Communication Calibration/Testing Laboratory Manager - NDAWN;
- Certified Computer Programmer (Proprietary Program) – Campbell Scientific, Inc. 1997, 2008
- Research Specialist - Soil Management Chemistry Laboratory Supervisor, NDSU
I conducted over 20 research projects for three Principal Investigators (PI), in areas related to environmental sciences: soil management, water/snow/environment quality, meteorology, etc.
My principal assets are:
- an excellent organizational and problem solving skill, meeting challenges head-on;
- capacity of coordinating the logistics of simultaneous, multi-tasking projects.
- lifetime experience of setting up, conducting and coordinating projects in:
- geological and geophysical prospections for Minerals, Oil and Gas
- agriculture – soil/water management
- meteorology/climatology - automatic weather data collection
- public relation/marketing
My present position requires broad responsibilities covering all aspects of NDAWN performance: network expansion, customized proprietary programming for quality and accuracy in measurements, reliable and consistent communication and problem solving, marketing, public relations:
- oversee the daily performance and functional integrity of the 72 stations network, covering all ND and spilling into SD, MT and MN.
- monitor sensor's performance and evaluate data quality recorded, laying out the most efficient logical steps for troubleshooting the problems as soon as they appear. This requires a strong contact and collaboration with several manufacturers, phone companies and a network of dedicated cooperators
- manage NDAWN calibration laboratory: refurbish wind sensors, calibrate temperature and relative humidity sensors. (implemented my original method for accurately assessing, monitoring and documenting the calibration process for the Temperature and Relative Humidity sensors).
- customize Campbell proprietary l program used by all 72 NDAWN stations, to enhance the wealth and quality of weather information available on the phone in “near real time” and the following day on the web.
- promote and market the NDAWN benefits to the general and special interest public by actively participate to trade shows, designing the displays, brochures and other promotional materials.
- design - designed the NDAWN web site architecture - www.ndawn.ndsu.nodak.edu –
- Publish research papers and articles/consulting
My colleagues find me pleasant personality, hardworking and loyal team partner, energetic, who meets challenges head-on, with a dedicated professional ethic standard. I bring a fresh perspective to any issue with a motivating initiative
Research and Other Professional Activities (see also Publications and Conferences ):
- 2006 to 2009: Initiated the MetOne 024A Wind Vane potentiometer change. The new one is in field test stage.
- 2007: research study and test the TE Rain Gauge TE525; built our stand to calibrate our gauges with our own methods. Improvements on gauges to minimize the wind effect, protect from funnel’s splashes, efficient field replacement method.
- Consulting work for Southern Minnesota Sugarbeet Coop., Iowa State University, etc.
- 2000 to 2006: Western Snow Conference – President’s Professional Development Award.
- 2004: Charles and Linda Moses Professional Award for Excellence – College of Agriculture;
- 2001: Manufacturer denied modem communication problems. I replicate the issue in lab; obtained free, 75 computer chips with voice synthesizer software customized specific to NDAWN/NDSU/North Dakota script.
- 2000: Attended Automated Weather Station International Workshop at Nebraska Center for Continuing Education held at High Plains Climate Center in conjunction with SNRS, UNL, USDA, NOAA, WMO on March 6-10, 2000.
- 2000: Electronic Snow Measurement techniques (see publications) proposed modifications accepted by manufacturer.
- 1999 to present: Provided Calibration services for Iowa State University Weather Network.
- 1996 to present: Provided electronic weather monitoring equipment and assistance to other NDSU departments: Plant Pathology, Horticulture, Plant Science, etc. other public and/or private organizations.
- 1996 to present: Participated at over 50 trade shows (ex. Marketplace of Ideas) to promote NDAWN and enhance NDSU image in our community and state. I repeatedly met with our State and Federal Congressional delegation to keep them informed of our progress and needs.
- 1993: Initiated and facilitated $10,750 donation in surveying software from WILD LEITZ USA, Inc. to three departments: Soil Science, Ag. Engineering and Civil Engineering (It’s Happening, 3/17/1993, page 10).
- 1993: Submitted to NDSU President a Grant Proposal for PPRC Implementation of Strategic Themes V “Enhancing the Institutional Environment” of NDSU Century II: Update 92 Strategic Plan (a campus wide initiative) -Soil Science Department Computer Networking Plan.
- 1991 to 1993: Editor and Photographer for “Solum” the Department quarterly newsletter.
Publications and Conferences:
- Attended 74th Annual Western Snow Conference, , May 20-23, 2006, Professional Development Award
- Attended 73rd Annual Western Snow Conference, Great Falls, MT- Apr. 11-14, 2005, Professional Development Award
- Attended 72nd Annual Western Snow Conference, Richmond, BS- Apr 19-22, 2004, Professional Development Award
- Attended 70th Annual Western Snow Conference, Granby, CO, May 20-23, 2002, Professional Development Award
- Attended 69th Annual Western Snow Conference, Sun Valley, ID, April 16-18, 200, Professional Development Award
- Carcoana, Radu, J. W. Enz. 2000. Enhanced Technique For A More Reliable Daily Snow Measurements With An Antifreeze-Based Tipping Bucket Gauge. 68th Annual Western Snow Conference, Port Angeles, WA, April 18-20, 2000, Professional Development Award
- Attended the First Automated Weather Station Workshop at Nebraska Center for Continuing Education held at High Plains Climate Center in conjunction with SNRS, UNL, USDA, NOAA, WMO on March 6-10, 2000.
- Enz, John W., R. Carcoana. 1998. Growing Season Summary for the 1998 Season. Oct. 1998.
- Carcoana, Radu. 1998. North Dakota Agriculture Weather Network. An environmentally sound electronic monitoring system. The Campbell Update, July 1998. Vol. 9 (2):3,5.
- Enz, John W., P.C. Brenk, R. Carcoana. 1996. Humidity and Temperature Measurement in the Sugar beet Canopy. North Dakota State Climatologist Report. Oct. 1996.
- Carcoana, Radu, L. Cihacek, H. Weiser. 1994. Effect of wind erosion sediments on Nitrogen levels of the Sheyene River near Kindred, ND. pp. 196-203. In Proc. North Dakota Water Quality Symposium, March 30-31, 1994. NDSU Ext. Serv.Cihacek, Larry, R. Carcoana, J. Arndt. 1994. Relationship to water quality of the spatial variability in organic carbon, total Nitrogen and NO3--N in wind erosion sediments deposited in a wetland margin. pp. 208-215. In Proc. North Dakota Water Symposium, March 30-31, 1994. NDSU Ext. Serv..
- Cihacek, Larry, R. Carcoana, J. Arndt. 1994. Relationship to water quality of the spatial variability in organic carbon, total Nitrogen and NO3--N in wind erosion sediments deposited in a wetland margin. pp. 208-215. In Proc. North Dakota Water Symposium, March 30-31, 1994. NDSU Ext. Serv.
- Cihacek, Larry, R. Carcoana, B. Schatz and K Jacobson. 1993. N, P, and K Uptake and Accumulation and Dry Matter Production by Crambe. Agron. Abs. pp. 269. ASA, Madison, WI.
- Cihacek, Larry, R. Carcoana, and K. Jacobson. 1993. Phosphorus and Zinc Fertilization Effects on Dry Matter Yield and Phosphorus and Zinc Uptake by Crambe. J. Plant Nutr. 16(9):1829-1836.
- Cihacek, L.J., D.A. Lizotte, and R. Carcoana. 1991. Phosphorus placement for soybean production in reduced tillage systems. North Dakota Farm Res. 49(1):22-25.
- Seelig, Bruce, R. Carcoana and A. Maianu. 1988. Identification of critical depth and critical salinity of the ground water on North Dakota high water table cropland Research project completion report.
- Maianu, Alex, R. Carcoana. 1987. Presented study activities about Critical depth and critical salinity of ground water in North Dakota. 4th Annual Water Management Workshop, Mandan, ND.
- Carcoana, Radu. 1972. Method to enhance field measurements efficiency in setting a 50 sq. meters grid in mountain area for geophysical research. Institute of Research and Explorations for Minerals, Bucharest, Romania.