Violence Prevention Educators (VPE)
Violence Prevention Educators (VPE) are North Dakota State University students who are highly training in issues of sexual and relationship violence. These students develop and implement prevention and awareness efforts on the NDSU campus. Efforts include organizing campus wide event such as Take Back the Night and Sexual Assault Awareness Month, as well as facilitating workshops for peers in classrooms, residence halls, Greek chapters, and student groups (really, wherever students are, VPE’s will be there!).
Some of the current VPE members! (Macy, Savannah, Anna, Jenny, Kya, Elizabeth, Josh, Katie, and Angie)
What kind of background do I need to become a VPE?
There is no specific experience necessary to apply – all accepted applicants will complete 40-hours of intensive training with local experts to gain essential knowledge and experience on sexual assault and relationship violence as well as program planning. and presentation skills.
The selection committee will be looking for well-rounded students who have strong skills in verbal communication, organization, and stress management. A passion for ending sexual and relationship violence in our community is required.
How much of a commitment is this program?
A big one – which is why it is so important that educators are passionate about the program and the issue. Commitments include:
- All members will participate in 40 hours of training that takes place throughout two weekends prior to the Fall 2012 semester. No exceptions will be made.
- All members are required to attend weekly meetings that last approximately one hour. The date and time of the meeting will be coordinated based on the availability of all VPEs.
- All VPEs must be able to commit to at least one year with the program.
- Each VPE will facilitate at least one workshop/discussion per month
What will I gain from joining the VPE program?
- All VPEs become certified peer educators
- Increased knowledge of sexual and relationship violence and how it impacts our campus
- New friends!
- The knowledge that you are playing a major role in ending interpersonal violence in our community!
How do I apply?
Thank you for your interest in the VPE Program.
The deadline for applications for the 2013 - 2014 academic year is March 18th, 2013.
The application can be found at Violence Prevention Educator Application or picked up from the Office of Student Life - Memorial Union 250.
If you have questions or would like to be notified when recrecruitment begins please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
VPE Recruitment in Progress!
We are currently recruiting new VPE's for the 2013-2014 academic year.
Please view the brief Violence Prevention Educator Recruitment video for more information.
The application can be found at VPE Application or a paper copy can be picked up at Memorial Union 250 - Office of Student Life.
Questions? Contact email@example.com