Welcome Week Leader Position Description
The purpose of Welcome Week is to help new students adjust to the new academic year. The week consists of numerous events designed to help students meet other students, learn about opportunities available, and have a great time.
Throughout Welcome Week, Welcome Week Leaders serve as resources and mentors for new students who are making the transition to the diverse academic and social culture of NDSU. The Welcome Week Leaders are some of the first contacts incoming students will have at NDSU and will assist in creating a positive Welcome Week experience as an introduction to NDSU life. Selection to the Welcome Week Leader Team provides a rewarding opportunity for personal and professional growth.
Welcome Week Leaders will:
- Actively participate in all required events, including meetings, Welcome Week Leader training, New Student Move-in and Welcome Week events
- Guide students to various locations and program points throughout Welcome Week
- Lead discussion groups and activities to help new students develop a sense of connection to the NDSU campus and one another
- Serve as a friendly role-model for students
- Answer fundamental questions about the NDSU campus services, facilities and activities
- Be prompt, prepared and positive. Keep staff informed of special circumstances
- Perform other Welcome Week duties as requested
- Abide by and reinforce University policies
- Participate in the evaluation and follow-up process
Welcome Week Leaders must:
- Be currently enrolled as a full-time student (undergraduate=12 credits; graduate=6 credits) for the Fall 2013 semester
- Be in good academic standing (minimum 2.2 cumulative GPA) as well as good disciplinary standing (not on behavioral probation) at the time of Welcome Week
- Be able to attend training and be present for identified Welcome Week events
- Have excellent communication and customer service skills
- Have an appreciation for and ability to work with people of diverse personalities and backgrounds
- Demonstrate a genuine enthusiasm for and basic knowledge of NDSU
- Work to problem-solve and resolve conflicts effectively
- Be able to exercise good judgment while keeping the well-being of the participants, the Welcome Week program and NDSU as a top priority during decision making
- Have a desire to work with new students, families, faculty and staff
Welcome Week Leaders will receive:
- Valuable leadership experience
- Training to prepare for the Welcome Week Leader role
- Personal satisfaction from helping new students and their guests
- The opportunity to give back to the NDSU community
- The opportunity to work with a diverse group of people and to make friends with fellow Welcome Week Leaders
- Opportunities to network with NDSU administrators, faculty, staff and other student leaders
- Early move-in to campus residence halls at no charge
- Welcome Week Leader polo and various t-shirts
- Meals during training and New Student Move-In
REQUIRED DATES AND EVENTS:
- Tuesday, April 29 (7-8:30 pm in Plains room) – required Welcome Week Leader introductory meeting
- Friday, August 22 (8 am-3 pm)– Welcome Week Leader Training
- Saturday, August 23 (7:30 am-1 pm) – New Student Move-In
- Saturday, August 23 (8-11 pm) - Meet & Greet followed by Club NDSU
- Sunday, August 24 (various times assigned by residence hall) – Get Rec'd
- Sunday, August 24 (6-7:30 pm) First Community Gathering in Residence Halls
- Sunday, August 24 (7:30-9:30 pm OR 9:30-11:30 pm) - Hypnotist
- Monday, August 25 (12:30-2:30 pm) – President’s Welcome followed by Academic College Events
- Monday, August 25 (8:30-10:30 pm) - Street Dance
- Tuesday, August 26 (6:30-8:30 pm) - Bill Cordes "You Only Get Out What You Put In"
- Thursday, August 28 (8-9:30 p.m.) - RHA Block Party
Complete the online application by March 26, 2014. Group interviews will be held at various times on March 27 and 28.
NEED ADDITIONAL INFORMATION?
- Attend an information session on March 5 at 7 pm in the Meadow Lark room of Memorial Union.
- Stop by our contact table in Memorial Union on March 3-7 between Noon-2 pm.
- Email Angela Seewald-Marquardt or call 701-231-5554.
- Contact any of the Welcome Week Team Captains who have previously been Welcome Week Leaders. They are:
- Paige Anderson, Junior majoring in Human Development and Family Science
- Nick Erlandson, Senior majoring in Chemistry
- Greg Justak, Junior majoring in Social Science Education
- Jimmy Kaderlik, Junior majoring in Zoology
- Alana Kiel, Sophomore majoring in Business
- Calla Price, Junior majoring in Zoology
- Brian Samuelson, Senior majoring in Pre-Medical