Welcome Week Leader Position Description
Welcome Week is designed to help new and returning students adjust to the new academic year. The week consists of numerous events designed to help students meet other students, get to know campus, learn about opportunities available, and have a great time.
Throughout the week, Welcome Week Leaders serve as resources and familiar contacts for new students who are making the transition to the diverse academic, intellectual and social culture of NDSU. The Welcome Week Leaders are one of the first contacts incoming students will have at NDSU and will assist in creating a positive Welcome Week experience as an introduction to NDSU life. Selection to the Welcome Week Leader Team is a unique honor and a rewarding opportunity for personal and professional growth.
Welcome Week Leaders will:
- Actively participate in all required events, including meetings, Welcome Week Leader training, New Student Move-in and other Welcome Week events
- Guide students to various locations and program points throughout Welcome Week
- Lead discussion groups and activities to help new students develop a sense of connection to the NDSU campus
- Serve as a friendly role-model for all students
- Answer fundamental questions about the NDSU campus services, facilities and activities
- Be prompt, prepared and positive at all times. Keep staff informed of any and all problems
- Perform other Welcome Week duties as assigned
- Abide by and reinforce all Welcome Week and University policies
- Participate in the evaluation and follow-up process
Welcome Week Leaders must:
- Be currently enrolled as a full-time student (undergraduate=12 credits; graduate=6 credits) for the Fall 2013 semester
- Be in good academic standing (minimum 2.2 cumulative GPA) as well as good disciplinary standing (not on behavioral probation) at the time of Welcome Week
- Be able to attend training and be present for identified Welcome Week events
- Have excellent communication and customer service skills
- Have an appreciation for and ability to work with people of diverse personalities and backgrounds
- Demonstrate a genuine enthusiasm for NDSU
- Work to problem-solve and resolve conflicts effectively
- Be able to exercise good judgment while keeping the well-being of the participants, the Welcome Week program and NDSU as a top priority during decision making
- Have a desire to work with new students, families, faculty and staff
Welcome Week Leaders will receive:
- Valuable leadership experience and enhanced leadership skills
- Personal satisfaction from helping new students and their guests
- The opportunity to work with a diverse group of people and to make friends with fellow Welcome Week Leaders
- Opportunities to network with NDSU administrators, faculty, staff and other student leaders
- Early move-in to campus residence halls at no charge
- Welcome Week Leader T-shirts
- Meals during training and New Student Move-In
REQUIRED DATES AND EVENTS*:
- Monday, April 22 (7-9 pm) – required Welcome Week Leader introductory meeting
- Friday, August 23– Welcome Week Leader Training
- Saturday, August 24 – New Student Move-In & Club NDSU
- Sunday, August 25 – Get Rec'd, Residence hall floor meetings, and RHA Event
- Monday, August 26 – President’s Welcome, Academic College Events, and Street Dance
- Wednesday, August 28 – Bill Cordes event
- Thursday, August 29 – Hypnotist
*Welcome Week Leaders will recruit students to attend these events, assist with check-in process at events, and attend events with students. Additional details about the 2013 Welcome Week events will be provided at the introductory social and throughout the summer!
Applications are no longer available for Welcome Week 2013.
NEED ADDITIONAL INFORMATION?
Email Angela Seewald-Marquardt or call 701-231-5554.