TFAC Fall Organizational Meeting
Technology Fee Advisory Committee
Meeting Notes: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 2:30 p.m.
Rose Room, Memorial Union
Member Present: Rian Nostrum, Chair; Andy Bristow, Anne Denton, Gary Fisher, Jim Hammond, Jarrett Hart, Abram Jackson, Shannon Kempenich, Tanya Kramer, Galen Mayfield, Chris Nelson, David Wittrock, CeCe Rohwedder
Members Absent: Karan Mittal, Bonnie Neas, DK Yoon
Guests: Janet Stringer
Rian called the meeting to order; after introductions, he thanks members for their service on this committee. He said that today’s discussion would focus on the process for action plan submittals and review, and on the organization of the committee. He gave an overview and brief history of TFAC and its structure and bylaws, adding that the group’s role is to provide recommendations to VP Neas for her consideration.
Janet Stringer distributed copies of the FY11 Student Technology Fee Fund Distribution Plan (attached), and Rian reviewed them.
Fall 2010 Deadline for Submittal of Action Plans
Though the March 1st deadline for submittal of spring semester action plans works fine, the October 1st deadline for the fall does not allow sufficient time to formulate action plans, nor to consider them.
Andy moved and Shannon seconded that the fall 2010 deadline for submittal of action plans be moved from October 1st to November 1st, with the committee meeting right away to begin review. Abram moved and Andy seconded to amend the motion so that the new deadline be October 29th. The amendment was approved; MSC.
The new time frame will be evaluated to determine if it should become permanent, with the bylaws amended accordingly.
Action plans need to incorporate consultation with IT Division staff, who will then sign them, indicating that they can be supported.
Rian stated that previous discussions point toward the committee’s desire to see action plans that are more innovative, new and student-driven. Discussion was held on how best to advertise for such:
- BIN coverage: Rian and Andy were interviewed earlier this week, with the interviews to be aired on BIN.
- Spectrum coverage: Spectrum staff have contacted TFAC re an article.
- Direct communications from IT to faculty, staff & students: Bonnie and Cloy Tobola are formulating such.
- Posters & student listserv messages
- It’s Happening at State coverage
It was noted that the above communications methods appear to be components of a passive process, and committee members were asked to consider how TFAC can encourage and provide guidance regarding the types of projects we want to see submitted as action plans. Perhaps examples can be offered, as well as definitions of what projects are valued; it is hoped that the Listening Groups currently gathering information may assist with the spring round of action plan submittals. Once there is an institutional strategic plan in place, outlining the university’s priorities, defining the types of projects to be submitted as action plans will be easier.
It is hoped that innovative action plans will eliminate the need for programs which are no longer sustainable. However, some innovations might be difficult to cost, and thus to form into a proposal. Sometimes the goal is known but not the final solution; we have funded such proposals, though. There is a trust factor involved in the process.
It was agreed that we should give to the campus community examples of innovative projects we have funded; a good recent example is the BIN project – Cloy and Cathy Hanson are looking for more.
“Funded by the Student Technology Fee” signs should be more widely incorporated, so that students may know how their technology fee dollars are being utilized.
Rian will decide whether the TFAC listserv should continue to be maintained, or whether it should be discontinued, leaving Blackboard as the means of communication for the group.
We will continue to post TFAC activities, documents and reports on the group’s web site as well as on Blackboard, as it is important to have accountability.
The Student Government is looking for a new student member to replace Jace Beehler.
Discussion will be held on the TFAC vision and priority list.
Meetings will continue to be scheduled as needed, checking members’ availability via Doodle poll.
The meeting adjourned at 3:30pm.