Professor and Head of VMS
Van Es 150
701 231 6387
- Ph.D. in Food Science and Technology from University of Nebraska-Lincoln (1995).
I have taught an extensive range of food science and food safety courses at NDSU since 1997. The main courses I have taught include MICR 453/653 Food Microbiology and SAFE 753 Food Toxicology.
I specialize in foodborne molds, mycotoxins and grain microbiology.
I serve half-time as Assistant Dean for the College of Graduate and Interdisciplinary Studies. I also serve on the leadership team for NDSU FORWARD. I am a Food Systems Leadership Institute Fellow.
- Vegi, A. and C.E. Wolf-Hall. 2012. Multiplex Real-Time PCR Method for Detection and Quantification of Mycotoxigenic Fungi Belonging to Three Different Genera. Journal of Food Sci.
- Dhillon, B., D. Wiesenborn, H. Sidhu, and C. Wolf-Hall. 2012. Improved Microbial Quality of Buckwheat using Antimicrobial Solutions in a Fluidized Bed. Journal of Food Science. 77:E98-E103.
- Vegi, A., P. Schwarz and C.E. Wolf-Hall. 2011. Quantification of Tri5 gene, expression, and deoxynivalenol production during the malting of barley. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 150:150-156.
- Dodd, J.G., A. Vegi, A. Vashisht, D. Tobias, P. Schwarz and C.E. Wolf-Hall. 2011. Effect of ozone treatment on the safety and quality of malting barley. J. Food Protect. 74:2134-2141.
- Wolf-Hall, C., H. Zhao, P. Häggblom, and J. Hoorfar. 2011. Rapid screening of animal feeds for mycotoxins and Salmonella contaminants. Chapter in “Rapid Detection, Identification, and Quantification of Foodborne Pathogens, ed. by J. Hoorfar, pp. 241-254. ASM Press, Washington, DC. Invited Author
- Zhang, H. and C. Wolf-Hall. 2010. The effect of different carbon sources on phenotypic expression by Fusarium graminearum strains. Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 127:137–148.
- Dhillon, B., D. Wiesenborn, H. Dhillon, and C. Wolf-Hall. 2010. Development and Evaluation of a fluidized bed system for wheat grain disinfection. J. Food Sci. 75:E372-E378.
- Wolf-Hall, C. 2009. Mold and Mushroom Toxins. Chapter in “Pathogens and Toxins in Foods: Challenges and Interventions”. V. Juneja and J. Sofos (eds.). ASM Press, Washington, DC. Invited Author
- Wolf-Hall, C., W. Gibbons, N. Bauer, N. 2009. Development of a low-cost medium for production of nisin from Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 25:2013-2019.
- Dhillon, B., D. Wiesenborn, C. Wolf-Hall and F. Manthey. 2009. Development and evaluation of ozonated water system for antimicrobial treatment of durum wheat. J. Food Sci. 74:396-403.
- Wei, Q., C. Wolf-Hall, C.A. Hall III. 2009. Application of raison extracts as preservatives in liquid bread and bread systems. J. Food Sci. 74:M177-M184(1)
- Zhang, H., C. Wolf-Hall and C. Hall III. 2008. Modified microwave-assisted extraction of ergosterol for measuring fungal biomass in grain cultures. J. Agri. Food Chem. 56: 11077–11080.
- Xu, Y, C. Hall III, C. Wolf-Hall. 2008. Fungistatic activity of heat-treated flaxseed determined by response surface methodology. J. Food Sci. 73:M250-M256.
- Xu, Y., C. Hall III, C., Wolf-Hall, F. Manthey. 2008. Fungistatic activity of flaxseed in potato dextrose agar and a fresh noodle system. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 121:262-267.
- Xu, Y, C. Hall III, C. Wolf-Hall. 2008. Antifungal activity stability of flaxseed protein extract using response surface methodology. J. Food Sci. 73:M9-M14.
- Manthey, F., S. Sinha, C. Hall III, C.E. Wolf-Hall. 2008. Effect of flaxseed on flour and packaging on shelf-life of refrigerated pasta. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 32:75-87.
- Sasanya, J., C. Hall III, and C. Wolf-Hall. 2008. Quantification of Deoxynivalenol, Masked Deoxynivalenol and Fusarium graminearum Pigment in Hard Red Spring Wheat Samples using a new LC-UV/MS method. J. Food Protect. 71:1205-1213.
- Kottapalli, B and C. Wolf-Hall. 2008. Effect of hot water treatments on the safety and quality of Fusarium-infected malting barley. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 124:171-17.
- Balasubramanian, S., S. Panigrahi, B. Kottapalli, and C.E. Wolf-Hall. 2007. Evaluation of an artificial olfactory system for grain quality discrimination. Lebensmittel - Wissenschaft + Technologie. 40:1815-1825.
- Wolf-Hall, C.E. 2007. Mold and mycotoxin problems encountered during malting and brewing. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 119:89-94. (special edition, invited authors only)
- Kottapalli, B., C.E. Wolf-Hall, and P. Schwarz. 2006. Effect of electron-beam on the safety and quality of Fusarium-infected malting barley. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 110:224-231.
- Xu, Y., C.A. Hall III, C. Wolf-Hall and F. Manthey. 2006. Antifungal Activity of Flaxseed Flours. Edited by J. Carter. Published by North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND. pp 177-185.