The Student Affairs Assessment Academy is a team-based, project-focused staff development series. The first cohort of participants began in January of 2014 and will be concluding their projects in April of 2015. A list of the current projects is available here.
The materials below may be used for staff development events on other campuses with proper citation. All other rights reserved.
1. Introduction to the Student Affairs Assessment Academy
2. Team Building Activity
3. Module 1: Asking a Question and Being Clear About Your Purpose
4. Module 2: Designing an Assessment Study
5. "Big Event" Closing and Next Steps
6. Module 3: Validity and Reliability: Ensuring the Rigor of Your Assessment Study
6a. Survey Methods
Survey methods checklist
6b. Focus Groups
Focus groups checklist
6c. Data Mining and Institutional Data
Data Mining and Institutional Data Checklist
Request internal data from Registration and Records
Rubric development activity
7. Module 4: Analyzing Assessment Data: Planning Your Data Analyses
Handout: Planning your Data Analysis
Handout: Corston & Colman (2000), Inferential Statistics Decision Tree
Planning your Data Analysis checklist
7a. Analyzing Assessment Data Using Excel
Excel file to use during presentation
Excel file "practice data" for activity
"Practice data" Excel file with "answers"
7b. Analyzing Qualitative Data for Assessment
Qualitative sample interview transcript for coding practice
Example 1: Asmussen, K. J., & Creswell, J. W. (1995). Campus response to a student gunman. Journal of Higher Education, 66(5).
Example 2: Hermanowicz, J. C. (2004). The college departure process among the academic elite. Education and Urban Society, 37(1).
Important resource: Harper, S. R., & Kuh, G. D. (2007). Myths and misconceptions about using qualitative methods in assessment. New Directions in Institutional Research, 136.
1. AAC&U's Teamwork Metarubric
2. Rubric for Module 1: Asking a Question and Being Clear About Your Purpose
3. Rubric for Module 2: Designing an Assessment Study
4. Rubric for Module 3: Validity and Reliability: Ensuring the Rigor of Your Assessment Study
5. Rubric for Module 4: Planning your Data Analyses
1. Worksheet for Module 1: Asking a Question and Being Clear About Your Purpose
2. Worksheet for Module 2: Designing an Assessment Study
3. Worksheet for Module 3: Validity and Reliability: Ensuring the Rigor of Your Assessment Study
4. Worksheet for Module 4: Planning your Data Analysis (same as the handout under presentation 7 above)