Morrill Hall Room 205
Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering
NDSU Dept. 7620
PO Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Dr. Xinhua Jia
P.E., Associate Professor
Responsibilities - Teaching (25%) Research (75%)
Featured Research Project Videos
Irrigation and drainage
Ph.D. Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, University of Arizona
M.S. Agricultural Engineering, University of Arizona
B.S. Agronomy, Xinjiang Agricultural University
Registered Professional Engineer
- PI, Feasibility of the use of tile drainage for subsurface irrigation in the Red River Valley and its impact on soil chemical and physical properties. ND State Water Commission.
- PI, Tile drainage and subirrigation evaluations in Richland County for effects on soil and water quality. USDA NRCS.
- PI, Impact of subsurface drainage on water availability in the Red River Basin. USDA CSREES.
- Co-PI, Red River Valley tile drainage water quality assessment – phase II. USDA EPA 319.
- PI, Impact of agricultural practices on snow hydrology. NDSU Development Foundation
- Co-PI, Combining scintillometry and eddy covariance to evaluate and validate remotely sensed evapotranspiration rate at various spatial scales. ND NASA EPSCoR.
- PI, Effect of optimal water management for sustainable and profitable crop production and improvement of water quality in Red River Valley. USDA NCR SARE.
- PI, Subirrigation with high sodium adsorption ratio groundwater and its effect on soil and water quality. ND State Water Commission
- PI, Plastic mulch effects on corn yields, ND Corn Council
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE).
- Environmental and Water Resources Institute (EWRI) of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- American Geophysical Union (AGU).
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE).
- North Central Extension Research Activity (NCERA-217): Drainage design and management practices to improve water quality.
- Agricultural Drainage Management Systems Task Force (ADMS).
Professional Activities - Reviewer
- Transactions of the ASABE
- Journal of Irrigation and Drainage
- Journal of Hydrology
- Water Resources Research
- Journal of Hydrologic Engineering
- Air, Water & Environment
- Applied Engineering in Agriculture
- Irrigation Science
- Journal of Agronomy
- Hydrological Processes
- Journal of Geophysical Research
- ASM/NRM/SOIL 264 (2 sections) - Natural Resources Management Systems
- ASM 264L - Natural Resources Management Systems Lab
- ABEN 484/684 - Drainage and Wetland Engineering