Content | Navigation |

Accounting Office


Accounts Payable

Employee vs. Independent Contractor

The following are guidelines for distinguishing between ‘employee’ and ‘independent contractor’ and safeguarding the University and its employees from potential liability related to incorrect classification.

It is the department’s responsibility to ensure the appropriate evidence has been gathered to support the position that the University has engaged an independent contractor.

The Independent Contractor Determination form can help in determining the correct classification.

Complete the form and submit to Gary Wawers, Controller - NDSU Accounting Office, for review.

If it is determined that the classification is ‘independent contractor’ the department will need to complete a Contract Service Agreement, before any services are performed, and submit to the Purchasing Office for approval. When the service has been completed, the approved Contract Service Agreement will need to be attached to an Accounts Payable Voucher and submitted for audit, entry and payment processing.

If it is determined that the classification is ‘employee’, the payment will be made via payroll, and the department will need to contact the HR/Payroll Office.

Independent Contractor Determination Form

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

North Dakota State University

Phone: +1 (701) 231-7432 / Fax: (701) 231-6194
Campus address: Old Main 11
Physical/delivery address: 1340 Administration Ave, Fargo, ND 58102
Mailing address: NDSU Dept. 3100 / PO Box 6050 / Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Page manager: Accounting

Last Updated: Monday, October 29, 2018 1:41:26 PM
Privacy Statement