Amelia Estepa Asperin
- Title: Associate Professor and Program Coordinator, Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Office: E. Morrow Lebedeff Hall 304
- Phone: 701-231-5720
- E-mail: Amelia.Asperin@ndsu.edu
- Ph.D. — Kansas State University, Foodservice and Hospitality Management; Graduate Certificate in Business Administration
- M.S. — Kansas State University, Foodservice, Hospitality Management and Dietetics Administration
- B.S. — University of the Philippines - Diliman, Hotel and Restaurant Administration
- Food Neophobia
- Brand Personality
- Consumer Post-Purchase Behavior
- Foodservice Management
- Marketing for School Nutrition Program
- ADHM 140 Introduction to the Hospitality Industry
- ADHM 384 Beverage Operations
- ADHM 402 Professional Catering Management
- ADHM 404/404L Restaurant Operations Management
- ADHM 411 Food and World Cultures
- ADHM 479 Hospitality Industry Management Strategies
- ADHM 489 Study Tours
- ADHM 496 Field Experience [Internship]
- Associate Professor in Hospitality and Tourism Management, North Dakota State University, 2015 - Present
- Assistant Professor in Hospitality and Tourism Management, North Dakota State University, 2009 - 2015
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Hospitality Management and Dietetics, Kansas State University, 2006-2007
- Instructor, Hotel and Restaurant Management, University of Baguio (Philippines), 1999-2000
- Research Scientist, National Food Service Management Institute (NFSMI) at The University of Southern Mississippi, 2007-2009
- Graduate Research Assistant, Office of the Graduate Dean, Kansas State University, 2004-2006
- Wolfe, K., Jo, W., Olds, D., Asperin, A.E., DeSanto, J., & Liu, W. (2016). An fMRI study of the effects of food familiarity and labeling on brain activation. Journal of Culinary Science and Technology, 14(4), pp. 332-346.
- Wolfe, K., Phillips, W.J., & Asperin, A.E. (2014). Examining social networking sites as a data collection channel in hospitality and tourism research. Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality and Tourism, 15(2), pp. 134-148.
- Wolfe, K., Phillips (Jo), W.J., and Asperin, A. (2014). Using Hotel Supervisors’ Emotional Intelligence as a Benchmark for Hospitality Students. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education, 26:1, 2-9.
- Wolfe, K., Phillips (Jo), W.J., and Asperin, A. (2014). Examining Social Networking Sites as a Data Collection Channel in Hospitality and Tourism Research. Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality & Tourism, 15, 134-148.
- Phillips (Jo), W.J., Asperin, A., and Wolfe, K. (2013). Investigating the effect of Country Image and Subjective Knowledge on Attitudes and Behaviors: U.S. Upper Midwesterners' Intentions to Consume Korean Food and Visit Korea. International Journal of Hospitality Management. 32, 49-58.
- Rushing, K., Asperin, A.E. (2012). Building the foodservice brand personality within the school nutrition setting. Journal of Child Nutrition & Management, 36(1), from http://www.schoolnutrition.org/Content.aspx?id=17258
- Asperin, A., Phillips, W.J., Wolfe, K. (2011). Exploring food neophobia and perceptions of ethnic foods: The case of Chinese and Thai cuisines. International CHRIE 65th Annual Conference. E Christou (Ed.). Richmond, VA. ICHRIE.
- Wolfe, K., Asperin, A.E., & Jo, W. (2016). Food tasting an experiential learning experience [Abstract]. 2016 Annual International Society of Travel and Tourism Educators, Hangzhou, China, October 12-14, 2016. (Recipient: Best Poster Paper Award)
- Wolfe, K., Olds, D., Asperin, A., Jo, W., Desanto, J., and, Liu, W.C. (2015). How neophilics see food differently: Evidence from fMRIs. 2015 Annual ICHRIE Summer Conference & Marketplace, July 29-31, 2015, Orlando, FL.
- Wolfe, K., Liu, W., Phillips (Jo), W.J., Asperin, A., and Olds, D. (2014). Using fMRI to Investigate the Differences in Brain Activity while Viewing Images of Familiar and Unfamiliar Foods. 2014 Annual ICHRIE Summer Conference & Marketplace, July 30- August 1, 2014, San Diego, California.
- Wolfe, K., Phillips (Jo), W.J. and Asperin A. (2013). Assessing Hospitality Students’ Emotional Intelligence. 2013 Annual ICHRIE Summer Conference & Marketplace, July 24-27, 2013, St. Louis, Missouri.
- Asperin, A.E., Phillips (Jo), W.J., and Wolfe, K. (2013). Using food tasting experiences to enhance experiential learning about ethnic cuisines among college students. Foodservice Systems Management Education Council (FSMEC), March 21-23, 2013, Columbus, Ohio.
- Phillips (Jo), W.J., Wolfe, K., and Asperin, A., (2012). Effects of food neophobia and attitude toward consuming unfamiliar cuisine. 2012 Asia Pacific Tourism Association (APTA) Conference, June 26-29, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Stastny, S.N., Asperin, A.E., & Ragan, A.M. (2012). Changing an academic classroom into a campus restaurant [Abstract]. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 6-9, 2012.
- Wolfe, K., Asperin, A.E., & Phillips, W.J. (2012). Validating the use of a social networking site as a data collection method in hospitality and tourism research [Abstract]. International CHRIE 66th Annual Conference, Providence, Rhode Island, August 1-4, 2012.
- Phillips, W.J., Wolfe, K., Asperin, A., (2012). Effects of food neophobia and attitude toward consuming unfamiliar cuisine. 18th Asia Pacific Tourism Association (APTA) International Conference, Taipei, Taiwan, June 26-29, 2012.
- Best Poster Paper Award, 2016 Annual International Society of Travel and Tourism Educators, Hangzhou, China, October 12-14, 2016.
- Apple Polisher Award, NDSU Bison Ambassadors, North Dakota State University, AY 2012-2013, AY 2016-2017.
- Exceptional Contributions for Collaborative Efforts (Food Production Laboratory Renovation Team), College of Human Development and Education, North Dakota State University, AY 2014-2015.
- Exceptional Contributions as an Emerging Teacher, College of Human Development and Education, North Dakota State University, AY 2011-2012
Professional Memberships & Associations
- International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (ICHRIE), Member
- National Restaurant Association, Member
- Foodservice Systems Management Education Council (FSMEC), West-Midwest Regional Director
- Editorial Board, The Foodservice Management and Education Council Journal
- International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management (IJCHM), Peer Reviewer
- Journal of Child Nutrition and Management (JCN&M), Peer Reviewer
Amelia Asperin has worked in hospitality operations in both commercial and non-commercial settings that include the Marriott, Housing and Dining Services at Kansas State University, and a local café in the Philippines. Her professional experiences focus largely on foodservice operations.
- Title: Assistant Professor
- Office: E. Morrow Lebedeff Hall 302
- Phone: 701-231-8224
- E-mail: Jeongdoo.Park@ndsu.edu
- Ph.D. in Business Administration, 2014, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington
- M.S. in Hospitality and Tourism Management, 2009, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, Blacksburg, Virginia
- B.B.A. in Hotel Administration, 2001, Kyonggi University, South Korea
- ADHM 360 Lodging Operations Management
- ADHM 381 Hospitality Sales and Marketing
- ADHM 403 Resort Development and Management
- ADHM 406 Professional Club Management
- Environmental management, Interpersonal mistreatment in the workplace, employee well-being.
RESEARCH AND SCHOLARSHIP (Selected)
- Kim, H.J., Park, J, & Wen, J. (2015). General managers’ commitment and environmental involvement of lodging companies: The mediating role of environmental management capabilities. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 27(7), 1499-1519
- Rahman, I., Park, J., & Chi, G.Q. (2015). Consequences of “Greenwashing”: Consumer reaction to hotels’ green initiatives. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 27(6), 1054-1081
- Moon, H., Park, J., & Kim, S. (2015). The importance of an innovative product design on customer behavior: development and validation of a scale. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 32(2), 224-232
- Stumpf, T., Park, J., & Kim, H.J. (2014). Appreciative and consumptive lodging attributes: Conceptualization and measurement. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 40, 71-80.
- Park, J., & Kim, H.J. (2014). Environmental proactivity of hotel operations: antecedents and the moderating effect of ownership type. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 37, 1-10.
- Park, J., Kim, H.J., & McCleary, K.W. (2014). The impact of top management’s environmental attitudes on hotel companies’ environmental management. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 38(1), 95-115.
- Kim, H.J., Park, J., Kim, M, & Ryu, K. (2013). Does perceived restaurant food healthiness matter? Its influence on value, satisfaction and revisit intentions in restaurant operations in South Korea. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 33, 397-405.
- Park, J., & Gursoy, D. (2012). Generational effects on work engagement among U.S hotel employees. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 31(4), 1195-1202.
AWARDS AND HONORS (SELECTED)
- Outstanding Graduate Student Research Award (2014), Carson College of Business, Washington State University
- The W. Terry Umbreit Distinguished Chair Research Grant (2011), School of Hospitality Business Management, Carson College of Business, Washington State University
- Best paper award (2010), 15th Annual Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality & Tourism, Washington D.C.
- Title: Assistant Professor
- Office: E. Morrow Lebedeff Hall 178B
- Phone: 701-231-7355
- E-mail: Kwangsoo.Park@ndsu.edu
- Ph.D. in Business Administration, Temple University, 2013
- Master of Science in Hospitality Management, Florida International University, 2007
- Bachelor of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management, Sejong University, 2003
- ADHM 141 Tourism and Travel Management
- ADHM 241 Hospitality Accounting
- ADHM 401 Convention and Event Planning
- ADHM 411 Food and World Cultures
- Assistant Professor, North Dakota State University, 2012 - current
- Instructor, Black Hills State University, 2010 – 2012
- Teaching Assistant/Instructor, Temple University, 2009-2010
- Quality of Life and Tourism
- Travel Decision Making/Trip Planning
- Consumer Behavior Attending Special Events
- The Impact of Smoke-free Policies on Hospitality Industry
- Gambling Behavior
- Lee, J, & Park, K. (under review). Influences of brand extension purchase intention: A university-licensed merchandise case. Journal of Product & Brand Management.
- Park, K. (under review). Testing bottom-up theory of life satisfaction in tourism. Annals of Tourism Research.
- Park, K., Hill, B., & Roehl, W. (under review). Differentiated impacts of smoke-free policies on casino gambling revenues. International Journal of Hospitality Management.
- Park, K. & Roehl, W. (under review). Changes in restaurant, bar, and video lottery terminal lounge patronage in response to smoke-free policies. International Journal of Hospitality Management.
- Lee, J., & Park, K. (accepted). Determinants of the downtown image and retail patronage: A case of Fargo, North Dakota. Journal of Extension.
- Park, S. & Park, K. (2017). Thematic analysis of event management research. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 29(3).
- Park, K., Ha, J., & Park, J. (2017). An experimental investigation on the determinants of online hotel booking intention. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 1-17.
- Ha, J., Park, K. & Park, J. (2016). Which restaurant should I choose?: Herd Behavior in Restaurant Industry. Journal of Foodservice Business Research, 19(5), 396-412.
- Kim, D., Park, K., & Kim, H. (2016). Exploring the flexibility of travel decision making and its determinants. Korean Journal of Tourism Research, 31(3), 297-315.
- Park, K. (2016). Determinants of spending by motorcycle-rally visitors. Event Management, 20(2). 255-265.
- Park, K. & Park, S. (2016). Topic trend of event management research. Event Management, 20(1). 109-115.
- Park, S. & Park, K. (2015). Intercoder reliability indices in tourism research. Annals of Tourism Research, 55, 180-183.
- He, L., Park, K., & Roehl, W. S. (2013). Religion and perceived travel risks. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 30(8), 839-857.
- Park, K. & Lee, S. (2011). Does an optimal firm size exist for publicly traded U.S. hotels? Tourism Economics, 17(2), 359-372.
- Lee, S., Lee, C., & Park, K. (2010). A comparative study of learning styles and cultural values between Korean and American university students in hospitality and tourism programs. Korean Journal of Hospitality Administration, 19(5), 33-51.
- Park, K., Reisinger, Y., & Noh, E. (2010). Luxury shopping tourism. International Journal of Tourism Research, 12(2), 167-178.
- Park, K. & Reisinger, Y. (2010). Differences in the perceived influence of natural disasters and travel risk perception on international travel. Tourism Geographies, 12(1), 1-24.
- Park, K., Reisinger, Y., & Park, C. (2009). Visitors’ motivation for attending theme parks in Orlando, Florida, USA. Event Management, 13(2), 83-101.
- Park, K. & Reisinger, Y. (2009). Cultural differences in shopping for luxury goods: Western, Asian and Hispanic tourists. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 26(8), 762-777.
- Park, K. & Reisinger, Y. (2008). The influence of natural disasters on travel risk perception. Tourism Analysis, 13(5/6), 615-628.
- Park, K., Reisinger, Y., & Kang, H. (2008). Visitors’ motivation for attending the South Beach Wine and Food Festival, Miami Beach, Florida. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 25(2), 161-181.
- Best Paper Award (1st Place), Korea America Hospitality and Tourism Educators Association Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV. 2014
- The Harry A. Cochran Research Center Award for Excellence in Research by a Doctoral Student, Fox School of Business & Management, Temple University. 2010
- Excellence in Teaching by a Doctoral Student in the Business Administration Program, Fox School of Business & Management, Temple University. 2010
- The Harry A. Cochran Research Center Award for Excellence in Research by a Doctoral Student, Fox School of Business & Management, Temple University. 2009
Professional Memberships & Associations
- Travel and Tourism Research Association (TTRA), Member
- Korea America Hospitality and Tourism Educators Association (KAHTEA), Board member (Treasurer)
Kwangsoo Park has extensive first-hand professional experience in the convention, event, and lodging field. He successfully completed a Master's Internship and Curricular Practical Training in the banquet department at Sheraton Bal Harbour Beach Resort in Miami, Florida. He has worked as a sales manager in an extended stay hotel. He also has worked in an event company and supervised merchandise test events for Gillette.