Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to some of the most common questions about applying to NDSU as an international student.

If you can't find the answers you are looking for, contact the Office of International Student & Study Abroad Services.

What are the application deadlines?

We have a rolling admissions policy for international applicants and evaluate applications as documents are received. Although there are no final application deadlines, we encourage you to apply by June 1 for Fall semester (August start) and November 1 (January start). Please note, being admitted after these dates may make you ineligible for certain scholarships based on these priority deadlines.

We want you to be successful here. If travel and/or a new visa is required for you to being study at NDSU, the Office of International Student & Study Abroad Services always reserves the right to defer your admission to a future term if additional time is needed to complete any required admission or immigration-related processes. 

Application Process

Can the application fee be waived or refunded?

This fee is a requirement for all admission applications to NDSU and non-refundable.

I have attended a college/university in another country but do not wish to receive transfer credit. Can I apply to NDSU as a freshman/first-year student?

If you have taken any coursework at a college or university, you must submit official academic records showing grades for all coursework. If you have not completed a program or have only taken a few classes, those official academic records are still required for admission consideration.

Are international students eligible for financial aid at NDSU?

Financial aid is not provided to international students. Financial aid is funding provided by the U.S. federal government to U.S. citizens and permanent residents, to help them pay for education-related expenses. Please view the Scholarships section for financial assistance available to international students.

What types of financial documentation are considered official by NDSU?

Acceptable forms of fixed financial support include: a checking or savings account statement, certificate of deposit, account balance confirmation on bank letterhead, government sponsorship letter, educational or bank loan, scholarship award letter, or graduate-level assistantship letter. All documents must include an original signature and stamp or seal on top of each page from the issuing bank or financial institution to be considered official.

Note: Scanned or emailed documents are acceptable but originals may requested at the discretion of the Office of Admission.

What academic marks/scores are required for international students?

Please view the Admission Requirements for minimum scores, required records, and how to obtain official records for your application.

How will I know if NDSU received my documents?

You can use the online tracking information provided by the courier service you used. The Office of International Student & Study Abroad Services will send you a follow-up email after they have reviewed and evaluated your documents. This process may take 2-3 business days before an update is available.

How long does it take to get my admission decision?

Please allow two to three weeks after all required documents are received for your admission decision.

How and when do I get my I-20?

In order to receive an I-20, you must submit all required application documents by the complete application deadline and be admitted to NDSU. Once you are admitted, you will receive a copy of your I-20 with your admission packet. Students transferring from another U.S. institution will receive information about transferring their I-20 to NDSU.

I am worried about receiving my admission documents and I-20 in time to schedule a visa interview. How can I make the process faster?

We would recommend paying the Express Mail Fee to have your documents sent to you by courier upon admission. 


What types of examinations does NDSU accept for admission?

Official TOEFL, IELTS, ACT, SAT, PTE-Academic or ELS examination records are accepted. Please view the first-year admission requirements or transfer admission requirements for specific score requirements.

I am currently studying in the U.S. Do I still have to submit an examination report?

You do not need to submit an examination report if you have completed 4 semesters of full-time academic study (excluding remedial/developmental coursework). Grades for these semesters must be shown on official U.S. transcripts to receive an exemption of this requirement.

Yes, you need to submit an examination if you have not yet completed/received grades for 4 semesters of full-time academic study.

Note: Canadians must submit an official SAT score report for admission consideration.

Transfer Coursework

How many credits will transfer from my current university/college to North Dakota State University?

In order to be eligible for transfer credit, applicants must be accepted to NDSU. The estimated number of transfer credits an applicant may receive is not available prior to admission. Depending on your chosen major, not all transferred courses will be degree applicable. Prior to admission, students can view a brief list of previously evaluated courses in the NDSU Transfer Course Equivalencies Database.

Do I need to have my academic records evaluated for admission?

Applicants with coursework from a college or university outside the United States should submit a credential evaluation from World Education Services (WES) to NDSU. Evaluations from this service will allow NDSU to better understand the education system in which you studied, which benefits your application and transfer credit review processes. This evaluation report will satisfy official academic record requirements for the international application process.

Any coursework taken at a U.S. college or university does not require external evaluation. Official transcripts should be sent directly to the NDSU Office of Admission by your institution’s Registrar’s Office. See transfer admission requirements for more details.

I have been admitted. What happens next?

In addition to submitting an Application for Admission, most international student applicants must also submit immigration documentation and evidence of financial support to study at NDSU. This documentation can be submitted during the admission process or after. Please click here for more information on this required documentation.

Preparing For Arrival to NDSU

The Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services is your main point of contact for any pre-arrival or orientation-related questions. All international students will be required to attend new international student orientation. Please visit our orientation page for more information to help you plan for your arrival in Fargo. We look forward to welcoming you here.