Content | Navigation |

Application Process

Can the application fee be waived or refunded?
No. This fee is a requirement for all admission applications to NDSU and non-refundable.

Can I submit my application on paper?
No, the NDSU international application process is now fully online. This method allows you to provide information when you start your application that customizes the list of requirements specifically to you, and helps the Office of Admission staff best assist you. If you do not have a reliable internet connection, please note that you can save parts of your online application to work on it later or visit your local EducationUSA center to connect.

I have attended a college/university in another country but do not wish to receive transfer credit. Can I apply to NDSU as a freshman/first-year student?
No. If you have taken any coursework at a college or university, you must submit official academic records showing grades for all coursework. If you have not completed a program or have only taken a few classes, those official academic records are still required for admission consideration.

Are international students eligible for financial aid at NDSU?
No. Financial aid is funding provided by the U.S. federal government to U.S. citizens and permanent residents, to help them pay for education-related expenses. Please view the Scholarships section for financial assistance available to international students.

What types of financial documentation are considered official by NDSU?
Acceptable forms of fixed financial support include: a checking or savings account statement, certificate of deposit, account balance confirmation on bank letterhead, government sponsorship letter, educational or bank loan, scholarship award letter, or graduate-level assistantship letter. All documents must include an original signature and stamp/seal on top of each page from the issuing bank or financial institution to be considered official.

Note: any notarized, colored, scanned, emailed or faxed documents will be considered UNOFFICIAL.

What academic marks/scores are required for international students?
Please view the Admission Requirements for minimum scores, required records, and how to obtain official records for your application.

How will I know if NDSU received my documents?
You can use the online tracking information provided by the courier service you used. Office of Admission will then send you a follow up email after they have reviewed and evaluated your documents; this may take 2-3 business days before an update is available.

What are the deadlines for submitting all of my application requirements?
The application deadlines vary depending on your physical presence in the U.S. Deadlines for receipt of all required documents or scholarship applications by NDSU International Admissions are as follows:

If enrolled at a school OUTSIDE the U.S.  If enrolled at a school WITHIN the U.S.
 • Fall (August enrollment)       - May 1
 • Spring (January enrollment) - October 1
 • Fall (August enrollment)       - August 1
 • Spring (January enrollment) - December 1

How long does it take to get my admission decision?
Please allow approximately 1 week after all documents are checked as received in your online application and your status has been changed to "Under Review." Please allow 2-3 weeks after all required documents are received to for your admission decision.

How and when do I get my I-20?
In order to receive an I-20, you must submit all required application documents by the complete application deadline and be admitted to NDSU as a degree-seeking student.

I am worried about receiving my admission documents and I-20 in time to schedule a visa interview. How can I make the process faster?
We would recommend paying the Express Mail Fee to have your documents sent to you by courier upon admission. Admitted students will receive a copy of the I-20 in their online application profile prior to receiving the original document by mail.

Return to top of page


What types of examinations does NDSU accept for admission?
Official TOEFL, IELTS, ACT, SAT, PTE-Academic or ELS examination records are accepted. Please view the Admission Requirements for specific score requirements.

I attended a school in another country but the language of instruction was English. Do I still have to submit an examination report?
Yes. All applicants to NDSU must submit an official examination report for admission consideration, unless listed in the question below.

Are there some countries from which students do not have to submit an examination?
Yes. Students from countries where English is the ONLY OFFICIAL language are exempt from this requirement: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Dominica, the Gambia, Ghana, Great Britain, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, Mauritius, Micronesia (Federated States of), New Zealand, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Scotland, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

I am currently studying in the U.S. Do I still have to submit an examination report?
>No, if you have completed 4 + semesters at a high school/college/university in the U.S. (grades for these semesters must
  be shown on official U.S. transcripts to receive exemption of this requirement).

>Yes, if you have not yet completed/received grades for 4 semesters at a high school/college/university in the U.S.

Note: Canadians must submit an official SAT score report for admission consideration.

Return to top of page

Transfer Coursework

How many credits will transfer from my current university/college to North Dakota State University?
In order to be eligible for transfer credit, applicants must be accepted to NDSU; the estimated amount of transfer credits an applicant may receive is not available prior to admission. Depending on your chosen major, not all transferred courses will be degree applicable. Prior to admission, students can view a brief list of previously evaluated courses in the NDSU Transfer Course Equivalencies Database.

Do I need to have my academic records evaluated for admission?
Applicants with coursework from a college/university outside the United States should submit a credential evaluation from World Education Services (WES) to NDSU. Evaluations from this service will allow NDSU to better understand the education system in which you studied, which benefits your application and transfer credit review processes. This evaluation report will satisfy official academic record requirements for the international application process.

Any coursework taken at a U.S. college/university does not require external evaluation. Official U.S. transcripts should be sent directly by the U.S. registration office to Office of Admission for evaluation. See Admission Requirements for more details.

Return to top of page

Preparing for Arrival at NDSU

What immunizations do I need?
All international students must provide records for the following immunizations: Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR), Tuberculosis (TB), and Meningitis (students ages 16-21). Please note that the TB test CANNOT be taken before arrival in the U.S. These three immunization requirements may all be taken through the NDSU Student Health Service during new international student orientation.

Do I have to attend orientation?

International student orientation is mandatory for all new international students to NDSU in bachelor, Intensive English Language Program (IELP), master or doctoral degree programs. Students transferring to NDSU from another U.S. school must attend the international orientation (not the orientation offered through the Office of Admission), as the international orientation best covers information specific to you.

When is the international student orientation?
This two-day orientation is held the Thursday-Friday before classes begin in Fall or Spring semester. More details are provided on the Orientation page.

What does NDSU campus and Fargo look like?
Check out the NDSU environment, classrooms, people, housing, research, graduate, and international student experiences on one of these YouTube Channels: NDSU Official or NDSU International Admissions.

Do citizens of Canada need to obtain an F-1 student visa to study in the U.S.?
No. However, you must obtain a SEVIS Form I-20 from NDSU and pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee (approximately $200 USD) prior to entering the border. We recommend that you print your I-901 Fee receipt and carry it with you when you travel to avoid delays. You will be issued a paper I-94 card to confirm your legal entry to the U.S. and eligibility to be in F-1 status for the duration of study listed on your I-20.

Return to top of page

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

North Dakota State University
Phone: +1 (701) 231-8643 / Fax: (701) 231-8802
Campus address: Ceres Hall 114
Physical/delivery address: 1301 Administration Ave., Fargo, ND 58102
Mailing address: NDSU Dept. 2832 / PO Box 6050 / Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Courier address: North Dakota State University Office of Admission
                         1301 Administration Ave. / 114 Ceres Hall
                         Fargo, ND 58102
Page manager: Office of Admission

Last Updated: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:01:56 PM
Privacy Statement