International First Year Student Admission
Applicants are encouraged to begin the application process well in advance of posted deadlines to ensure all required admission materials arrive in a timely manner. An admission decision is typically returned to the applicant within two (2) to three (3) weeks of the receipt of all materials. Please review information below for a detailed list of admission requirements.
If you are applying from INSIDE the United States
Spring 2018 (begins January) - October 1, 2017
Spring 2018 (begins January) - December 1, 2017
International First Year Student Admission Requirements
Applications are evaluated on an individual basis. The university uses selective criteria in order to assure adequate preparation which will enable students to be successful in their academic pursuits. NDSU reviews the following criteria:
- Academics - All applicants should have an educational background in the core curriculum of: laboratory science, mathematics, social science and English to be considered for admission. A secondary/high school grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 (4.0 scale) or the equivalent in core subjects, is recommended. Students who do not meet these minimum guidelines will still be considered for admission if there is evidence in the student's academic record that demonstrates a high probability of success.
- English Proficiency - All applicants must demonstrate English proficiency for admission consideration (see International First Year Student Admission Procedures below)
- Financial Support - All applicants must submit official documents as evidence of financial support showing available funds equivalent to estimated annual costs for one year of attendance
If you are from a country in which the ONLY OFFICIAL language is English, you are exempt from the English proficiency requirement listed above. Approved countries are:
Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Dominica, the Gambia, Ghana, Great Britain, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, Mauritius, Micronesia (Federated States of), New Zealand, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Scotland, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
International First Year Student Admission Procedures
To be considered for admission, you must submit:
- Online Application for Admission. You will need your NDSU Insider User Name and Password, or you can create a new account.
- $35 nonrefundable application fee. The fee can be paid online at the time you apply or paid online at a later date. An admission decision is not made until the fee is paid.
- Official academic records for all institutions attended and national exams taken, based on the following:
* U.S. institution - request official transcript(s) be sent directly to the NDSU Office of Admission from your institution
* Non-U.S. institution - apply for an official World Education Services (WES) evaluation report. Steps to request this report are available here:
- English test scores. All applicants must submit an official test score or completion report meeting one of the posted levels (see chart below). All test scores are valid for two years and score reports must be sent directly to the Office of Admission.
TOEFL (school code 6474) 71 IBT or 525 PBT IELTS 6.0 overall Pearson's (PTE) Academic 50 ACT English subscore (school code 3202) 18 SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (school code 6474) 480 (or 430*) ELS Language Center Level 112 completion
* Required SAT Writing score if exam was taken prior to March 5, 2016.
Note: If you have completed four or more terms of full-time academic study in the United States, English test scores are not required.
- Copy of official financial documentation from a bank official or sponsoring government showing available funds equivalent to estimated annual costs for one year of attendance. Please refer to Acceptable forms for a detailed listing of requirements.
- Copy of passport and other immigration documents, if applicable.
Send all materials to:
Office of Admission
Office of Admission