Scholarship Application Troubleshooting Tips
In the event you are not able to access and complete the online Scholarship Application, please consider attempting the following remedies.
1. Try using an alternative Internet browser
In some cases, various default settings, personalized configurations, or an out-of-date version of your browser software may cause a problem accessing the application. If you more than one browser installed on your computer, please try using one of these other commonly-used browsers to access the application:
We have discovered instances in Google Chrome where the [Submit] button is not visible when a third-party browser toolbar add-on—like an Ask.com, Google, or Yahoo toolbar—is installed as part of the browser interface. If this occurs, please use an alternative browser to submit the application or uninstall the browser add-on and try accessing the eForm again. (See Step 7 of Tip #2 below for preventing toolbar installations during a Java update.)
2. Make sure your version of Java is up-to-date
The Scholarship Application requires Java software that is, in almost all cases, automatically installed on your computer. In some cases, older computers may not be running the most recent version of Java software. Follow these steps to update your Java software:
- Go to http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
- Locate the section heading for the Operating System (Windows, Mac, etc.) used by your computer
- Click the corresponding link to begin installing the update (note: the "32-bit" option will be the most common for Windows computers)
- After clicking link, click the [Run] button in the pop-up window to start the software download
- Windows users may see a "User Account Control" pop-up window asking if it is OK to install this software, click [OK] or enter your credentials to continue
- Click the [Install] button to launch the installation process (click [Yes] if asked to reinstall the software)
- IMPORTANT!... During the installation of the update you may be asked if you want to also add a third-party browser toolbar or anti-virus software with your Java update. Uncheck the checkbox during that step in the process if you do not want the additional software.
- Click the [Close] button when the installation process is complete
- A verification web page will appear in your default web browser indicating that the software update was installed successfully
- Try accessing the eForm again using any Internet browser (a restart may be required for the software update to take effect)
3. Make sure Internet Explorer 9 "Add-ons" for Java are not disabled
Internet Explorer 9 often prompts users to disable certain browser "add-ons" in an attempt to increase the speed of the browser. As a result, one or more add-ons required for the Scholarship Application to function properly may have been unknowingly disabled. Follow these instructions to re-enable the needed add-ons:
- Open the Internet Explorer 9 browser
- Click on the "Tools" menu (or gear icon) and select "Manage Add-ons"
- Scroll down the list of add-ons until you find the "Oracle America, Inc." section
- Locate the add-ons entitled "Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper" and/or "Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper"
- Select one or both of those add-ons, right-click and select "Enable" (or "Enable All")
- Click the [Close] button
- Close any open Internet Explorer windows and relaunch Internet Explorer for the new settings to take effect
- Try accessing the application again using Internet Explorer
4. Clear your Java cache
The Java software installed on your computer keeps track of its own Temporary Internet Files history. If any attempt to access the Scholarship Application failed, your computer may be recalling the failed attempt each time you try to access the application. Please follow these steps to clear your Java history:
- Go to your computer's Control Panel and open "Java (32-bit)"
- In the General tab, under the Temporary Internet Files section, click the [Settings...] button
- In the next window, click the [Delete Files...] button
- Leave the first two checkboxes checked, and click [OK]
- Click [OK] to close all remaining windows and try accessing the eForm again using any Internet browser
5. Clear your browser cache
View the ITS Help Desk page for instructions on Clearing Your Web Browser's Cache, Cookies and History.
6. Contact the Office of Admission
If you are unable to access the Scholarship Application, please contact the Office of Admission at 800-488-NDSU or 701-231-8643.