Take Action During Medicare Open Enrollment
Medicare Part D is a voluntary prescription drug benefit offered by private companies that are approved by Medicare.
Medicare’s open enrollment period runs from Oct. 15 through Dec. 7. It’s a time when you can make changes to your Medicare coverage. Take action to make sure your coverage will meet your needs in 2021.
Here are three steps to take during open enrollment:
- Know the changes you can make during open enrollment. The changes you can make include:
- Joining a new Medicare Advantage plan
- Joining a new Part D prescription drug plan
- Switching from original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage plan
- Switching from a Medicare Advantage plan to original Medicare
- Review your coverage for 2021. Make sure your drugs still will be covered next year and that your providers and pharmacies still will be in the plan’s network.
- If you have questions, contact the North Dakota Insurance Department’s State Health Insurance Counseling Program (SHIC) at 1-888-575-6611
Contact your county office of NDSU Extension for more information about Medicare open enrollment.
Jane Strommen, Ph.D.
NDSU Extension Gerontology Specialist