Instill a Love of Reading In Your Child
If you look at your family and your calendar and wonder if you can think of some new ways to have some fun, now may be the time to shake things up and show them (and yourself) you still know how to plan some excitement and learn something new at the same time!
- Step one - Search on Google for all of the sites you would like to explore in a so-many-mile radius of your current location. Together, read everything you can about these places and decide on one that appeals to everyone, is affordable, and is good for the body and the brain.
- Step two - As a family, write lists of what to pack using words or pictures, depending on the age of your children.
- Step three - Put away all digital devices and bring along the old-fashioned car games.
- Step four - Enjoy the adventure. Be sure to bring books, maps and other reading materials that relate to your trip in addition to whatever your kids enjoy reading in the car.
- Step five - End your adventure by sharing a book your whole family will enjoy. If you do not have such a book, write one together using your adventure as its basis.
- Step six - Feel good about your vacation from digital devices and about your family’s shared time with reading and relaxing.
You have helped instill a love of reading in your children. Consider that the best souvenir you can hope to bring home all summer.
Kim Bushaw, NDSU Family Science Specialist, 701-231-7450 email@example.com