Guidelines for the Reviewers of Manuscripts
WE PROVIDE THESE GUIDELINES TO REVIEWERS ASKED TO EVALUATE MANUSCRIPTS FOR THE PUBLICATIONS PROGRAM OF THE NDSU PRESS. THEY ARE POSTED HERE MAINLY FOR THE REFERENCE OF REVIEWERS, BUT AUTHORS LIKELY WILL BE INTERESTED IN THEM, TOO, AS THEY SHOW WHAT THINGS ARE IMPORTANT TO US IN EVALUATING MANUSCRIPTS.
Reviewers: Please give us your candid assessment of each of the areas outlined below. When making specific reference to a portion of the text we would appreciate it if you would refer to the precise page number(s). In general:
- What is your overall assessment of the project?
- Is the general approach and orientation of the work conceptually sound?
- Is the manuscript logically organized?
- Should any topics be added, lengthened, deleted, or shortened to make the work more readable, coherent, or complete?
- Please comment on the author's writing style. Is it clear and interesting?
- Scholarship: Is the author's thesis (theses) convincing and supportable given the evidence that is presented?
- Are there any interpretations that are nonstandard or unusual?
- Is the manuscript's content factually accurate?
- Are materials correctly referenced and are the most recent and relevant sources cited?
- In your opinion does this work make a substantive contribution to regional studies by promoting knowledge and a cultural consciousness among the general population and academic community?
- Marketability: Do you believe the manuscript is of potential interest to readers in this region?
- To what segments of the public do you believe that it might have particular appeal?
- Is there potential for use of this manuscript in the classroom, and if so, what courses and at what level?
- Does the work fill a need in its field?
- Are there any other publications of this type with which this text might compete?
- How does the present work compare?
- Conclusion: Do you have any other comments or areas of concern?
Reviewers, please send your evaluations by mail or e-mail to the Editor in Chief:
Dr. Suzzanne Kelley
ND Institute for Regional Studies Press
North Dakota State University
PO Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108-6050