The purpose of the President’s Council on Alcohol and Other Drugs (PCAOD) is to support the academic mission of North Dakota State University by reducing the harmful effects that result from alcohol and other drug misuse for individuals, the campus, and the broader community.
We envision a vibrant university environment where low risk decisions related to alcohol and other drug use are the norm. Achieving this vision will require widespread cultural change and sustained community investment.
In support of the land-grant mission of the university, we have identified the following core values to guide and influence our daily work, interactions, relationships, and the culture of the council.
- People: We derive strength from direct involvement of community members in our decision making and activities. We value the support of campus leadership and the voice of students, staff, and faculty in our work.
- Scholarship: We pursue scholarship through a commitment to discovery, integration, and application of evidence-based practice in our planning and implementation.
- Teaching and Learning: We foster an environment that supports low-risk decisions related to alcohol and other drugs in order to promote life-long learning and individual goal attainment.
- Ethics: We are committed to an ethic of care and stewardship of resources in all of our efforts.
- Culture: We value collaboration and communication with a diversity of people and institutions in order to gain broader perspective and understanding.
- Accountability: We strive to become leaders in alcohol and other drug prevention and position ourselves as a resource for the people of North Dakota.
- Expand consistent alcohol and other drug (AOD) prevention messaging on and off campus
- Increase engagement with campus stakeholders
- Increase engagement with community stakeholders
- Reduce high risk alcohol and other drug use and related consequences of students identified to be at increased risk
- Expand and sustain institutional infrastructure related to AOD prevention efforts
- Support development and enforcement of consistent and effective AOD related policies
- Build and sustain solidarity among individuals and groups involved in alcohol and other drug prevention efforts