Bakr M. Aly Ahmed
B. Sc., Architecture, Building Technology, Minia University, 1984
M. Sc., Architecture, Minia University, 1990
Ph.D., Environmental Design and Planning, Virginia Tech, 2001
Research and Interest:
Research and Interest:
Bakr Aly Ahmed has nearly 27 years of academic and teaching experience in architecture and design criticism. Prior to joining the faculty of NDSU, he has completed his Ph.D. in Environmental Design and Planning from Virginia Tech and a Master in architecture focusing on prefabrication of building and the mass production of housing projects. In parallel, he has maintained a professional practice of consultant and design work in numerous projects included beach resorts, housing developments, and mix-use urban projects. His research interest is focuses on sustainable design modeling, environmental capacity measurements, and simulation modeling for pedestrian movement in large buildings.
Selected Publications and Recent Research:
- “The Good, Bad, and Ugly” in Architectural Case Studies, DEFSA, 2007
- “Means of Egress Building Code Compliance Diagrams”, AEI, 2006
- “Towards an Environmentally Sensitive Urban Pattern”, ARCC, 2003 “Sustainable Design Modeling for Coastal Tourism Developments”, ACSP 1999
The Syndicate of Egyptian Engineers, Licensed member of Professional Architecture Engineering since 1984-present
- The American Planning Association (APA associate)
- The American Institute of Architecture (AIA associate)
- The Society of Egyptian Architects (the National Section of the UIA) The Syndicate of Egyptian Engineers (member)
- ARCH 443 Architectural Structures II
- ARCH 471 Architectural Design V – High-rise Studio
- ARCH 454 Environmental Control Systems II (Active Systems)
- ARCH 772 Design Thesis - 5th Year Studio
- Demonstrator, Minia University, 1984-1990
- Assistant Lecturer, Minia University, 1990-1995
- Graduate Teaching & Research Assistant, Virginia Tech., 1995-2002
- Assistant Professor, North Dakota State University, 2002-present
Who are your role models or inspiring folks?
In the oriental architecture, the Egyptian Architect Hassan Fathy; in the organic architecture, the great American Architect Frank Lloyd Wright; in the simplicity of architecture, the German Mies Van der Rohe & the French Le Corbusier; in the structure dominating architecture, the Spanish Calatrava & the Italian Renzo Piano; in the Japanese Architecture, Toyo Ito; in the crazy architecture, the Iraq Architect Zaha Hadid & the Canadian Architect Frank Gehry
Outside of art and design fields, what inspires you?
The pizza inspires me a lot...also - doctors, water fronts, sky, mountains, sand, fire, music, and trees
What do you wish you had known when you started out as a student/in this field?
I wish I knew the end, I may never have started …… in contradictory there is a feeling of love, lovely and difficult field ….so, I can say, If I were not an architect, I would love to be an architect. hahaha, a medical doctor.
What was your most memorable meal?
Kawarie with trout soup, Molokhia with rabbit, Okra with lamb meat, Viva pean and Tamiy, Stuffed cabbage, Kebab & Kofta, Macaroni Bechamel, & Grilled Hamam ….. all in ONE
In your office, you can only have three things, one book, one tool, and one picture. What would they be and why?
Book …. Ken Yeang ECO Mastering Planning, for more inspiration on creative/innovative skyscrapers and green developments
Tool ….. My phone, to call my mom
Picture ….. my group picture with the high-rise tiger students, it is the most lovely moments