Content | Navigation |

Bison Connection


Now that I have received my Award Notice, what should I do with it?

First, log into your Camus Connection account and review your award, any aid in "offered" status must be accepted or declined. Instructions on how to accept, decline or change your aid.

After you have accepted your award, you should determine your direct costs to attend NDSU and whether you have enough aid to cover those costs by completing the Budget Calculator Worksheet.  This helpful tool has direct links to detailed tuition and fees, housing costs, as well as other costs associated with attendance. 

Note: Your Financial Aid will NOT be processed until you have accepted your Award Notice (except for grants, scholarships and waivers).

What if the amount of financial aid I was awarded is not enough?


If federal financial aid does not cover all of your costs to attend NDSU, you may want to consider borrowing an alternative loan. Alternative loans are non-federal, interest-bearing loans through private lenders.   Approval is not guaranteed and the student usually requires a co-signer with good credit.  There are a variety of alternative loans available and it's up to the student and co- signer to choose the one that is right for them.

FASTChoice an online comparison tool customized for NDSU and designed to assist you in choosing the alternative loan that best meets your needs. Please keep in mind that not all lenders are listed on FASTChoice. For more information on alternative loans and to access the FASTChoice by clicking here.

You may also want to visit the NDSU Part-Time Job Board for information regarding employment opportunities in the Fargo-Moorhead area.  For more information on employment click here.

Note: If you advance a grade level at the end of a semester, notify Student Financial Services, as you may be eligible for an increase in your Federal Direct Loan.

What if I have a special circumstance that has affected my status?

Review the Special Circumstance information to determine whether any of the categories pertain to your situation. If so, print, complete and return the form to Bison Connection along with any supporting documentation required.

Should I notify Student Financial Services of scholarships and other resources not listed on my Award Notice?

Yes. It is your responsibility to notify Student Financial Services of any scholarships and/or resources not listed on your Award Notice. Prompt notification is important since we may need to adjust the aid you were previously awarded. If an over award does result, you will be responsible for repaying the amount that exceeds your need.  You may inform us of additional financial aid resources in person, by phone or e-mail.

Could my award change?

Yes. The University reserves the right to make adjustments to your award at any time, based on additional information which may become available. This includes (but is not limited to):

  • scholarships
  • research fellowships
  • residence hall room and board waivers
  • vocational rehabilitation
  • tuition waivers
  • ROTC (Army/Air Force) scholarship
  • WIA or Job Opportunities and Basic Skills training program (JOBS)
  • changes resulting from verification
  • change in enrollment status (to less than full time)
Can Student Financial Services release information about my financial aid to my parents/guardian (or spouse)?

The Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) does not permit Student Financial Services to release restricted information to a student's parent/guardian (or spouse, if married) unless the student completes an FERPA Consent to Release Form specifying the name(s) of persons to whom the staff may release the information. This form is requires the use of your NDSU Username and Password. 

Will my Federal Pell Grant increase if I register for more credits later in the term?

No. The amount of your Federal Pell Grant is determined by the number of credits that you are registered for as of a certain date each semester (Financial Aid Census Date).  2014-2015 dates: Summer 2015 Semester - 11:59 pm on June 19, 2015 and 2015-16 dates:  Fall Semester - 11:59 PM on September 2, 2015, Spring Semester – 11:59 PM on January 21, 2016 and Summer 2016 Semester - 11:59 pm on June 17, 2016.  Wait list classes are NOT counted as registered credits.  Federal regulation does not permit exceptions.

What is verification? Will you need my tax returns?

Verification is the process of checking the accuracy of the information you reported on your FAFSA. Approximately 30 percent of all applicants are selected for verification, either by the Federal Processor or by NDSU. If selected, you will be notified and provided with a list of the necessary forms that must be submitted.  For more information on the verification process click here.

Note: Processing of your financial aid will NOT take place until verification is completed.

Is there anything that could delay the processing of my financial aid once I have accepted my Award Notice?

Yes. Delays will occur if:

  • the verification process has not been completed.
  • no Master Promissory Note and/or Entrance Loan Counseling completed for first-time borrowers of Federal Direct Loans or Federal Perkins Loans.  Fore more information on how to complete your Master Promissory Note and/or Entrance Loan Counseling click here.
I am not a resident of North Dakota. May I receive a State Grant at NDSU?

No. You must be a North Dakota resident to receive a North Dakota State Grant.  For more information on the North Dakota State Grant click here.

When do I pay my bill?

Students without aid must pay by the first day of classes.  Students receiving financial aid must pay by the last day of the payment event.  For specific dates, please check the Customer Account Services website by clicking here.

Does NDSU offer Direct Deposit of excess financial aid into my checking or savings accounts?

Yes. NDSU does offer the Automated Clearing House (ACH) option. If you would like to have your excess financial aid directly deposited into your checking or savings account, you will need to complete a Direct Deposit Authorization form and return it to Bison Connection.

My parents applied for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan. When and how will they receive their loan?

Federal Direct PLUS Loan funds will credit directly to the student's account and any excess funds can be sent to either the parent or the student, per the parents request during the application process.  For more information regarding Federal Direct Plus Loans click here.

Are there certain requirements that must be met to continue receiving financial aid?

Yes. All students, whether or not they receive financial aid, are required to earn a minimum cumulative GPA and complete two-thirds (66.66 %) of their attempted credits.  For more information on Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress click here.

NOTE: The dates listed in the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress policy are different from the Office of Registration and Record's last date to drop classes.

How do I apply for summer session financial aid?

In addition to completing the current year FAFSA, the student must complete a Summer School Application after April 15. 

If I attend the summer session, what types of financial aid are available?

A variety of funding options are available for students for the summer session.  

Federal Pell Grant: Summer grant eligibility is based on your enrollment status during both fall and spring semesters. For example, if you attended only one semester or were registered for less than full time for one or both semesters, you may have some remaining grant eligibility for summer school.

Federal Direct Loans: The combined totals of your academic year (fall & spring semesters) plus your summer loan amounts cannot exceed:

Freshman (<26 credits):


Sophomore (27-59 credits):


Junior/Senior (60+ credits):


Post Graduate (Graduate Status):


For example, if you are a junior or senior and you borrowed the maximum annual loan of $7,500 during the academic year, you will not be eligible to borrow more Direct Loans for summer school. But, if your academic year loan was for $5,000 you would be eligible to borrow $2,500 for summer school ($5,000 + $2,500 = $7,500). However, if you are an independent student (per financial aid requirements), you may be eligible for an additional Unsubsidized Direct Loan (see Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loans.)

Alternative Loans:  If federal aid, along with scholarships, tuition waivers and personal savings is not enough to cover your educational expenses, you may wish to consider borrowing an alternative loan.  Click here for more information which should help guide you are you decide whether an alternative loan is right for you.

How do I apply for scholarships?

Scholarships are available from a variety of sources, therefore, students need to be resourceful and initiate the process early each year. Typically, scholarship recipients are selected in the spring of the year (February through May) for the upcoming school year. This means that students need to begin applying in early for scholarships awarded for the upcoming school year. Click here for more information regarding scholarships.  

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

North Dakota State University
Phone: +1 (701) 231-6200 / Fax: (701) 231-8297
Campus address: Memorial Union 176
Physical/delivery address: 1401 Administrative Ave., Fargo, ND 58102
Mailing address: NDSU Dept. 2836 / PO Box 6050 / Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Page manager:Bison Connection

Last Updated: Friday, August 28, 2015 11:09:34 AM