Q: How long will MIS jobs be around?

Demand for workers in these occupations will be driven by the continuing need for businesses, government agencies, and other organizations to adopt and utilize the latest technologies. Workers in these occupations will be needed to develop software, increase cyber security, and update existing network infrastructure. We invite you to visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics website for job outlook details.

Q: What kind of people pursue MIS?

There are a lot of different profiles, but there are some traits we've found make great MIS professionals. Do these describe you? If so, then our MIS program is for you!

  • Are good problem solvers
  • Like to work with people
  • Can think strategically about technology
  • Like responsibility for developing and then implementing their ideas
  • Can bridge both technology and business
  • Can see both details and the big picture
  • Are excellent communicators
  • Can manage time and resources well

Q: I’m thinking of switching my major. What do I need to do?

A: Visit with an advisor from both disciplines; an MIS advisor should be able to identify which of your courses will apply to the MIS program. If you decide to change majors, complete the change of major form at https://www.ndsu.edu/registrar/forms/

Q: I was an engineering student before switching to MIS major. Can I waive UNIV 189?

A: Yes. UNIV 189 or BUSN 189 is only required for first year students with less than 24 credits.

Q: Do I have to see my advisor before I register?

A: You are not required to see your advisor before you register. However, it’s in your best interests to get advice concerning which courses to take and when to take them. This can become especially important later in your career since your advisor is likely to know more about when a particular course or sequence of courses will be offered. Accounting and MIS courses have a number of pre-requisites. Not getting the courses you need in the right sequence can delay your graduation. We recommend that you visit with your advisor at least once a semester.

Q: What classes are offered only Fall Semester? What classes are offered only Spring Semester?

A: Generally, the Bulletin indicates which courses are offered only in the Fall or Spring semesters with an F or S following the course description. There are exceptions, so you should check the online schedule for availability which could be found at https://www.ndsu.edu/bisonconnection/schedule/

Q: Why do I need to meet with an advisor?

A: Your advisor is familiar with your program, requirements, course sequencing, and course availability. Advisors can help students avoid mistakes that may add an extra semester or more to your program of study. Advisors can also offer insight into classes that can best support the a specific career path chosen by the student.

Q: Can I take accounting, business, finance, management, management information systems, or marketing courses through Tri College?

A: The College of Business requires that 300 and 400 level accounting, business, finance, management, management information systems, and marketing courses come from AACSB accredited institutions. MSU Moorhead is AACSB accredited and Concordia offers some courses that are not offered at either institution. Prior approval by the NDSU College of Business is required for any course taken through TriCollege. You may take general education and other electives through the Tri-College system.

Q: How often (and when) should I meet with my advisor?

A: You should consider meeting with your advisor at least once every semester to plan out the next semester’s classes. Students interested in an internship or cooperative education experience and those approaching graduation should meet with their advisor to discuss those issues. Your advisor is also there to help with other questions concerning your academic life and career.

Q: As an incoming freshman, I was told that I could register for ENGL 120. I see that ENGL 110 is required. Did I get bad advice?

A: If you get a C or better in ENGL 120, you will receive credit for ENGL 110 and ENGL 120. So you will earn 6 credits by taking the 3 credit ENGL 120.

Q: When should I complete my co-op or internship?

A: You must be accepted into the professional program to complete a co-op or internship. However, we recommend that you do not complete your co-op until at least your second semester of your junior year. Some students complete their co-op during the summer between their junior and senior year and some wait until they have completed all courses. Some students complete their co-op by working part-time during the academic year. Others complete their co-op by working full-time and not enrolling in classes. Other students register a co-op class that is offered by the College of Business on both semesters fall and spring.

Q: How do I find a co-op?

A: You should enroll with the Career Center ( https://www.ndsu.edu/career/students/ ) during your second semester of your sophomore year, at the latest. Then you will have access to the co-ops available through the Career Center. Some students find a co-op experience through acquaintances, rather than using the Career Center. The MIS Club can also be a valuable resource for finding co-ops and internships.

Q: What do I have to see my advisor about once I have accepted a co-op position?

A: Once you have the position, go to the Career Center to get a packet with forms that you need to complete. You will need to meet with your advisor to establish learning objectives for your co-op and to learn how your advisor will evaluate your co-op.

Q: When I register for a co-op during the spring semester, does that affect my financial aid?

A: Most scholarships granted by the university will not be affected, however those given by private organizations may have different rules. You will not be eligible for student loans during this time, but the payment period may be deferred if you maintain full-time status. (Participating in a co-op for credit will secure your full-time status)

Q: Can I take any accounting, business, finance, management, management information systems, or marketing courses before I am admitted to the professional program?

A: Yes. You can take any of the following courses before you are admitted to the professional program: Acct 311, FIN, 320, MGMT 320, MRKT 320, and MIS 320. You do need to have junior standing and a 2.5 GPA to enroll in these courses. And, you must wait until after the open enrollment date to register for them via permit. This exception should be limited to one semester for pre-majors.

Q: When should I apply for the professional program?

A: You should apply early in your second semester of your sophomore year. That will provide time to process your application before registering for the next semester.

Q: How do I apply for the professional program?

A: Go to the NDSU College of Business website and check out the Major Application.

Q: What are the minimum requirements to be admitted to COB professional programs?

A: You must have at least a 2.5 GPA to be admitted to the accounting, business, finance, management, management information systems, or marketing majors. You must also have completed the pre-professional courses. See your advisor for a list of required courses.

Q: I have 50 credits and only have 3 required courses left to take in the pre-professional program. Campus Connection will not allow me to register for 300 and 400-level courses since I don’t have 60 credits yet. Are there any courses that I can take to bring my course load up to full-time status?

A: You could also take free electives. A free elective is any course that does not fit into a required category. And, you should check to see if all your general education courses are complete. A list of approved general education courses can be found at https://www.ndsu.edu/registrar/gened/

Q: What is the minimum GPA to graduate from the College of Business? Are there any exceptions?

A: The minimum GPA to for a degree from the College of Business is 2.50 and a C in all major-required courses. There are no exceptions.

Q: I'm on the waitlist for a class, why doesn't it automatically enroll me?

A: Campus Connection will automatically enroll you if there are no conflicts with other classes. Be sure you are not enrolled in another section of this class or in another class at the same time.

Q: Can CSCI 160 substitute CSCI 227?

A: CSCI 160 can typically be substituted for CSCI 227 AND CSCI 161 for CSCI 228. However, they are not automatic substitutes and students will need to submit a waiver for the substitution to take effect. If a student takes 160 instead of 227 they may still take 228 instead of 161.

Q: Are there math courses that I can take to substitute Math 144?

A: Yes, Math 165 – Calculus I is a substitute for Math 144.

Q: How can I get a Computer Science minor?

A: A copy of the computer science minor requirements can be found here.

Q: CSCI 489 has pre-requisites of CSCI 372 and CSCI 467. Do I need to take CSCI 467?

A: Generally speaking if you are following the recommended MIS curriculum as listed in the Guide to a Degree Handbook you have all of the prerequisites for the required classes. Additionally, if you are interested in taking a CSCI elective having prerequisites not required by the MIS program you should talk to the course instructor to determine if you are prepared to take the course and to request a permit.

Q: I took CSCI 114. Do I still have to take CSCI 116?

A: If you took CSCI 114 before you declared a major in the College of Business then you can use CSCI 114 to satisfy the CSCI 116 requirement. If you were a major in the College of Business when you took CSCI 114 then you will need to take CSCI 116. One word of caution: College of Business courses, beginning with ACCT 200, require a high level of proficiency with spreadsheets (Excel), and a working knowledge of databases (Access) and web pages (HTML). If you feel weak in any of these areas you should consider taking CSCI 116. If you are unsure of your level of knowledge you should discuss this with your advisor.

Q: I took STAT 367. Do I still have to take STAT 330?

A: You must take both STAT 367 and STAT 368 to satisfy the STAT 330 requirement. If you only took STAT 367 you will need to either take STAT 330 or STAT 368.

Q: I’m a transfer student, how many credits can I transfer from my old school?

A: NDSU requires that a minimum of 30 credits at the 300 and 400 level be earned at NDSU to graduate with a degree from NDSU. See the Bulletin for more information.

Q: I attended a non-AACSB-accredited school. May I transfer credits from my old school to NDSU COB?

A: You may transfer general education and free electives. You may also transfer in Acct 200 and 201. If you take 300 and 400 level business, accounting, or MIS courses at a non-AACSB accredited school, the courses will not count towards a major within the College of Business.

Q: Can CSCI 159 be a Tech 1 Elective?

A: No, not as of Fall 2015.

Q: Am I required to take CSCI 315?

A: You will not need CSCI 315 as of Fall 2015. However, you will need to take MIS 315 as of Fall 2015.

Q: Am I required to take CSCI 316?

A: No, not as of Fall 2015.