Dr. Kelly Rusch, PE
Vice President for Research and Creative Activity (RCA), NDSU
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: 1735 NDSU Research Park Drive
Telephone: (701) 231-6542
Fax: (701) 231-6185
- Microbial System Design and Modeling
- Biofuels and Bioproducts
- Engineering Education Research
- Aquaculture Engineering
- Water and Wastewater Treatment
Awards and Grants (recent)
- USDA Agriculture and Food Research Initiative: A Regional Program for Production of Multiple Agricultural Feedstocks and Processing to Biofuels and Biobased Chemicals, $120K (2011-2016), PI.
- National Science Foundation: Microalgal-based Production of Biofuels and High Energy Combustion Materials, $300K (2009-2013), PI.
- Sun Grant Seed Project (DOT): Production of Lipids for Biofuels through Mixotrophic Growth of a Mixed Microalgae-cyanobacteria Culture. $75K, 2011-2013, Co-PI.
- NASA: Development of Sensor Assisted Water Quality Nowcasting and Forecasting Environment for Coastal Beaches, $400K (2009-2012)., Co-PI.
- Louisiana Sea Grant College Program: Aquaculture feed cost reduction by coproduction of microalgal meal and energy, $168K (2010-2011), PI.
- Florida Institute of Phosphate Research: Risk Assessment and Permit Application to the USEPA for the Outdoor Research of Phosphogypsum Briquettes used as Mechanically Stabilized Fill Material, $89K (2007-2009), PI.
- Louisiana Sea Gant College Program Development of a Fate and Transport Model for Pathogen Tracking in Coastal Subsurfaces Impacted by Anthropogenic Pollutant Sources”, $220K (2006-2009), Co-PI.
- Louisiana Sea Gant College Program: Evaluation of the Impact of Domestic Wastewater on the Surface and Subsurface Environments of Coastal Marshes: Refining the Marshland Upwelling System to Achieve Net Nitrogen System Reductions, $242K (2006-2009), Co-PI.
- NOAA Ballast Water Technology Demonstration Program: Continuous Microwave Technology as a Treatment to Eliminate Invasive Species in Ballast Water: Basic Research and Laboratory Study, $200K (2005-2007), Co-PI.
- The Consortium for Plant Biotechnology Research, Inc.: Degradation Behavior Characteristics of Bioplastics, $372 (2005-2008), PI.
- Ph.D. 1992, Civil Engineering, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA.
- M.S. 1989, Civil Engineering, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA.
- B.S. 1986, Biology and Chemistry (Statistics Minor), University of Wisconsin, LaCrosse, WI.
- Bai, R., Silaban, A.G., Gutierrez-Wing, M.T. Benton, M.G. Negulescu, I.I. Rusch, K.A. Silver nanofiber assisted lipid extraction from biomass of a Louisiana Chlorella vulgaris/Leptolyngbya sp co-culture, Chemical Engineering Journal, 225:100-108, 2013.
- Tate, J.J., Gutierrez-Wing, M.T., Rusch, K.A. Benton, M.G. Gene expression analysis of a Louisiana native Chlorella vulgaris (Chlorophyta)/Leptolyngbya sp (Cyanobacteria) co-culture using suppression subtractive hybridization, Engineering in Life Sciences, 13:185-193, 2013.
- Chenier, K.M., Gutierrez-Wing, M.T., Deng, Z.Q., Rusch, K.A. Environmental Factors Influencing the Abundance of Enterococci in Gulf Coast Beach Waters, Journal of Environmental Engineering-ASCE, 138:1130-1137, 2012.
- Lane, C.E., Gutierrez-Wing, M.T., Rusch, K.A., Benton, M.G. Homogeneous detection of cyanobacterial DNA via polymerase chain reaction, Letters in Applied Microbiology, 55:376-383, 2012.
- Gutierrez-Wing, M.T., Malone, R.F., Rusch, K.A. Evaluation of polyhydroxybutyrate as a carbon source for recirculating aquaculture water denitrification, Aquaculture Engineering, 51:36-43, 2012.