Dr. Xuefeng (Michael) Chu
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: CIE 201N
Telephone: (701) 231-9758
Fax: (701) 231-6185
- Surface Hydrology: Overland flow generation, multiscale modeling of microtopography-controlled puddle-to-puddle (P2P) overland flow dynamics, hydrologic connectivity analysis and modeling, characterization of surface microtopography, wetland delineation and modeling
- Subsurface Hydrology: Infiltration and unsaturated flow modeling, aquifer characterization, groundwater modeling and management, conjunctive use of surface water and groundwater
- Watershed Hydrology: GIS applications in hydrology, watershed delineation, distributed watershed hydrologic modeling
- Contaminant Hydrology: Integrated modeling of multi-phase contaminant transport in surface and subsurface environments, pesticide fate and transport modeling, metal and sediment transport modeling in stream-wetland systems, non-point source pollution and environmental assessment
- Computational Hydrology: Development of Windows-based hydrologic and environmental modeling software: IPTM-S, IPTM-CS, HYDROL-INF, and P2P Modeling System
Awards and Grants (recent)
- NSF Faculty Early CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2007
- “CAREER: Microtopography-Controlled Puddle-filling to Puddle-merging (P2P) Overland Flow Mechanism: Discontinuity, Variability, and Hierarchy,” National Science Foundation EAR-0907588, 2007-2013 (sole PI)
- “RAPID: Stagnant Flood Water Quality Improvement: Role of Sediment and Interactions between Effective Microorganisms and Indigenous Microorganisms,” National Science Foundation CBET-1219755, 2012-2014 (Co-PI)
- Ph.D. in Hydrologic Sciences, University of California, Davis, 2002.
- Chu, X., J. Yang, Y. Chi, and J. Zhang. 2013. Dynamic puddle delineation and modeling of puddle-to-puddle filling-spilling-merging-splitting overland flow processes. Water Resources Research. 49(6):3825-3829.
- Chu, X., J. Nelis, and R. Rediske. 2013. Preliminary study on the effects of surface microtopography on tracer transport in a coupled overland and unsaturated flow system. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 18(10):1241-1249.
- Yang, J. and X. Chu. 2013. Quantification of the spatio-temporal variations in hydrologic connectivity of small-scale topographic surfaces under various rainfall conditions. Journal of Hydrology, 505:65-77.
- Chu, X., J. Yang, and Y. Chi. 2012. Quantification of soil random roughness and surface depression storage: Methods, applicability, and limitations. Transactions of the ASABE, 55(5):1699-1710.
- Chu, X. and R. Rediske. 2012. Modeling metal and sediment transport in a stream-wetland system. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 138(2):152-163.