Dr. Sivapalan Gajan
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: CIE 201Q
Telephone: (701) 231-5648
Fax: (701) 231-6185
- Sustainable infrastructures
- Dynamic soil-foundation-structure interaction
- Computational modeling
- Probabilistic performance assessment of geotechnical systems
Dr. Sivapalan Gajan has particular interest on the performance evaluation of innovative foundations and improved soil-structure interaction mechanisms to enhance the performance of structures during natural hazards (earthquakes, and wind and wave loading). His research findings reveal that properly designed shallow foundations with controlled rocking possess many desirable characteristics such as well-defined capacities, increased ductility, seismic energy dissipation, isolation, and self-centering mechanisms. Dr. Gajan advocates rocking foundations and nonlinear yielding behavior of soils in place of (or in combination with) structural energy dissipation devices to improve the performance of structural systems subjected to seismic loading. Dr. Gajan research group has also developed a probabilistic framework to investigate the effects of uncertainties in geomaterial properties on the probabilistic seismic performance of soil-shallow foundation systems with controlled rocking. The probabilistic framework systematically propagates the uncertainties in soil properties and ground motion characteristics through a nonlinear dynamic soil-foundation contact interface model to the super structure model and predicts the sensitivity of the response of soil-structure systems in probabilistic space using Monte-Carlo simulations.
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, University of California, Davis, 2006
- M.S. in Civil Engineering, University of California, Davis, 2001
- B.S. in Civil Engineering, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, 1999
- Kayser, M. and Gajan, S. (2014). “Application of Probabilistic Methods to Characterize Soil Variability and their Effects on Bearing Capacity and Settlement of Shallow Foundations: State of the Art”, International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 8 (2), 2014
- Gajan, S. (2011), "Normalized Relationships for Depth of Embedment of Sheet Pile Walls and Soldier Pile Walls in Cohesionless Soils", Soils and Foundations, Vol. 51 (3), pp 559-564, 2011.
- Gajan, S. and Saravanathiiban, D. S. (2011), "Modeling of Energy Dissipation in Structural Devices and Foundation Soil during Seismic Loading", Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering , Vol. 31 (8), pp 1106-1122, 2011.
- Gajan, S., Raychowdhury, P., Hutchinson, T. C., Kutter, B. L., and Stewart, J. P. (2010), "Application and Validation of Practical Tools for Nonlinear Soil-Foundation Interaction Analysis", Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 26 (1), pp 111-129, 2010.
- Gajan, S. and Kutter, B. L. (2009), "Contact Interface Model for Shallow Foundations Subjected to Combined Cyclic Loading", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 135 (3), pp 407-419, 2009.