What’s New in the Innovation Challenge
We have a few big updates this year:
- The boot camps will be available online. We hope this encourages more people to participate and helps create teams from students working on their own.
- The Innovation Challenge is available to the entire Tri-College, which means students from NDSU, MSUM, Concordia, M-State, and NDSCS are welcome to participate
- The Innovation Challenge will be entirely in the fall. This will allow professors to use the program in their fall courses.
- The Project Showcase will be the big reveal and the celebration. Previously, the project showcase was followed by an awards ceremony weeks later. We will combine those events so everyone gets to congratulate the winner and celebrate together.
- Scott Meyer, Ozbun Executive Director of Entrepreneurship, will be leading the boot camps.
- We will be matching participating teams with business mentors to help them improve their ideas. Let us know if you are a potential mentor!
Key Dates for the 2019 Innovation Challenge
All events are optional unless noted.
Kickoff Night — September 24th from 6–8pm at the Alumni Center
Come learn about the event, practice pitching ideas, and meet potential team members in this fun, social event.
Boot Camp #1 — October 3rd in-person from 6–8pm at the Alumni Center; October 4th at 8pm online
Join Ozbun Executive Director of Entrepreneurship, Scott Meyer, to learn how to generate and test ideas. This boot camp will prepare you to submit your proposal.
Proposals Due — October 17th; Required
Submit your Innovation Challenge proposal online at TheNiceNetwork.org. You will answer five short questions about your idea and team.
Boot Camp #2 — October 22nd in-person from 6–8pm at the Alumni Center; October 23rd at 8pm online
Join Scott Meyer to learn how to iterate and pitch your ideas in a compelling way. This boot camp will prepare you for the final pitches.
Final Pitch — November 4th at Memorial Union; Required
Choose a 15 minute slot that works for you. Then, come give your team’s 5 minute pitch in front of our panel of expert judges. This will determine who advances to the project showcase.
Boot Camp #3 — November 19th in-person from 6–8pm at the Alumni Center; November 20th at 8pm online
Join Scott Meyer to complete your business model canvas and use your forecasts to create the story for your innovative idea. This boot camp will prepare you to create the poster you will use for the project showcase.
Project Showcase — December 3rd from 3–7pm at Memorial Union, Open to the Public
Finalists will set up their posters to answers questions and tell their story to judges, friends and family.