Mancur Olson Reading Group
The Mancur Olson Reading Group, named after North Dakota native and NDSU alum Mancur Olson, is a 12-week, interdisciplinary learning and scholarship opportunity.
Students will meet under the guidance of a faculty member to study texts and discuss topics related to a central theme. Unlike in the classroom, reading groups are designed to bring students with mutual interests together to learn about new concepts, freely share thoughts and opinions, and spark lively debate. Reading groups enhance the university experience. They allow participants to meet peers from other disciplines, explore areas of interest, and develop scholarly skills. The small group size (about 10 students) allows students to build relationships, receive guidance from the moderator, and speak freely.
Students who participate in the Mancur Olson Reading Group will receive a $500 scholarship. In addition, they will have the opportunity to network with visiting professors through the Capitalism and Society Lecture Series. Books and meals, when applicable, will be provided by PCPE.
The Mancur Olson Reading Group application contains the following eligibility requirements.
- NDSU undergraduate students
- Open to all majors and minors
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Must have completed or be currently enrolled in an economics course
- Must have at least one faculty reference
Students who are selected will be asked to sign a contract to fulfill the following expectations.
- Scholars must attend all scheduled reading group meetings (see schedule)
- Scholars must attend one reading group workshop (see schedule)
- Scholars must attend as many PCPE events and activities as possible
- Scholars must read the assigned texts before each meeting and come prepared to participate in group discussions.
- Scholars must be willing to explore new ideas and join rigorous debate without engaging in personal attacks.
- Scholars must treat the reading group moderator and all other scholars with respect and civility.