To apply for a fall reading group, please fill out an online application using the link below.
Deadline for early decision: May 7, 2020. Applications accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Interested students should fill out the online application. Students may apply for more than one reading group with the same application.
- After completing the online application, students will be contacted to schedule an interview with our program director and discussion leaders.
- Students will be notified via email if they have been selected to participate in a reading group.
To address uncertainty about fall schedules and instruction due to the coronavirus pandemic, we have adjusted our application timeline. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Online applications will be accepted for early decision March 5 - May 7.
- All students who submitted applications for early decision will be interviewed via Zoom May 11-15.
- Scholars accepted for early decision will be notified via email May 18-22.
- After May 7, all applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Applications will continue to be accepted during the summer and start of the fall semester, until all reading group spots are full.
Students may apply for multiple reading groups. Please use the above link for all applications. If you are interested in more than one reading group, please indicate your interest on the application. You do not need to submit multiple applications.
The Great Debate: Marxism vs. The Market
This fall 2020 Mancur Olson Reading Group, titled The Great Debate: Marxism vs. The Market, is open to all NDSU undergraduate students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. At the end of the program, each participant will receive a $500 scholarship.
Led by Dr. James Caton, scholars will explore the great debate between the competing economic systems of socialism and free market capitalism. Students will discuss the merits and criticisms of each system and their path forward in America in 2020. All texts will be provided and given to the scholars to keep.
Meetings: Tuesdays from 3:45 - 5:00 p.m.
- The Best of Karl Marx by Phil Magness
- Marxism: For and Against by Robert L. Heilbroner
- Knowledge and Class: A Marxian Critique of Political Economy by Stephen A. Resnick and Richard D. Wolff
- Collectivist Economic Planning edited by F.A. Hayek
- Rivalry and Central Planning by Don Lavoie
- On the Economic Theory of Socialism by Oskar Lange and Fred M. Taylor
Society vs. the Environment?
This fall 2020 Mancur Olson Reading Group, titled Society vs. the Environment?, is open to all NDSU undergraduates with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. At the end of the program, each participant will receive a $500 scholarship.
Led by Dr. Veeshan Rayamajhee, scholars will explore how human societies around the world interact with their environments. We will examine the conditions necessary to maintain the delicate balance between using the environment for immediate benefits and preserving it for future use. We will discuss themes such as environmental conservation, institutions, property rights, and governance.
Meetings: Wednesdays from 4:30 - 5:45 p.m.
- The Not So Wild Wild West by Terry L. Anderson and Peter J. Hill
- Governing the Commons by Elinor Ostrom