To apply for a fall reading group, please fill out an online application using the link below.
Deadline for early decision: April 21, 2021. Applications after this date will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Interested students should fill out the online application. Students may apply for more than one reading group with the same application.
- After completing the online application, students will be contacted to schedule an interview with our program director and discussion leaders.
- Students will be notified via email if they have been selected to participate in a reading group.
- Online applications will be accepted for early decision March 1 - April 21.
- All students who submitted applications for early decision will be interviewed via Zoom April 26 - May 7.
- Scholars accepted for early decision will be notified via email May 7.
- After April 21, all applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Applications will continue to be accepted until all reading group spots are full.
Students may apply for multiple reading groups. Please use the above link for all applications. If you are interested in more than one reading group, please indicate your interest on the application. You do not need to submit multiple applications. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Why (Some) Nations Fail
This fall 2021 Mancur Olson Reading Group, titled Why (Some) Nations Fail, is open to all NDSU undergraduate students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. At the end of the program, each participant will receive a $500 scholarship.
Led by Dr. Veeshan Rayamajhee, scholars will explore the classic puzzle: why are some countries rich and others poor? Students will examine institutions that foster stability and economic growth and factors that lead to poverty, conflict, and stagnation.
Meetings: Mondays from 4:50- 6:00 p.m.
- The Rise and Decline of Nations by Mancur Olson
- Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Power by Daron Acemoglu & James A. Robinson
Entrepreneurship: From Ancient Mesopotamia to Modern Times
This fall 2021 Mancur Olson Reading Group, titled Entrepreneurship: From Ancient Mesopotamia to Modern Times, is open to all NDSU undergraduates with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. At the end of the program, each participant will receive a $500 scholarship.
Led by Dr. James Caton, scholars will explore the history of entrepreneurship from diverse regions, cultures, and times. Students will learn about the entrepreneurs who built our world and draw upon these lessons to understand successful entrepreneurship today.
Meetings: Wednesdays from 3:50 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- The Invention of Enterprise edited by David S. Landes, Joel Mokyr & William J. Baumol (The Kauffman Foundation Series on Innovation and Entrepreneurship)