Online 1-on-1 Sessions
The most effective way to work with a consultant on your writing is to do so face-to-face. It is much easier to communicate and work through a document, especially a long and complex one, in person. However, distance students can work with our consultants in one of two ways:
Undergraduate students may send their documents through email and work with a consultant over the telephone.
- Schedule a telephone appointment through Navigate at https://www.ndsu.edu/enrollmentmanagement/studentsuccess.
Be sure to type in the "Comments" box that you are a distance student who needs a telephone consultation.
- On the day of your appointment, send an email to the Center for Writers email@example.com) at least 2 hours before your appointment with this information:
- a draft of your paper as an MSWord or PDF attachment
- the assignment guidelines and other relevant information about the instructor’s expectations
- the issues and concerns that you would like to discuss during the consultation
- At the appointment time, call 231-5286 (CFW consultants do not initiate the calls). Please be ready to give your student ID number for our records. Also, please understand that the consultant might not have had time to read through the paper in advance.
- For questions or problems, call 231-7927.
Graduate students may schedule online consultations through Blackboard Collaborate that allows for audio, video, and document sharing. Typically, when audio/visual connection has been made, the writer will share access to the document online so that both writer and consultant can work on it as they discuss it.
- When you want to schedule a session, email your availability to firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week (but preferably more) in advance, listing as many available hours as you can.
- Make sure that your computer has microphone and speakers. A headset is best since it eliminates problems like feedback and interference.
- Read the attached INSTRUCTIONS.
Tips for Online Sessions
- Be patient. Online sessions are slower than face-to-face sessions; it's best to set your expectations accordingly.
- Test all your equipment well ahead of time.
- Test accessing Blackboard before your session (you may have to load or update software, which can take time).
- Make sure you have our phone number on hand: (701) 231-7120.
- Make sure you have an electronic version of your document. If it is a big document (e.g., a dissertation), consider saving sections separately; it is easier to navigate smaller documents when document-sharing online.
- Remember to speak slowly and clearly.
- When you and the consultant are looking at the document, the consultant will not see you, so remember to use verbal cues