Class notes 1980s
- Mark Watne, AD ’82 agricultural mechanization, was elected president of the North Dakota Farmers Union. He is a self-employed farmer in the Velva, N.D., area and lives in Jamestown, N.D.
- David Nelson, MS ’81 entomology, received the James A. Graham Award for Outstanding Service to Agriculture from the National Association of State Departments of Agriculture. He joined the North Dakota Department of Agriculture as a plant protection specialist in 1982 and was appointed state entomologist in 1992. He retired in 2012.
- Jonathan Crump, BS ’84 BArch ’84, architecture, joined the Tulsa, Okla., office of Dewberry, an architectural, engineering and consulting company, as the design director. With more than 25 years of experience in architecture, he previously was a principal for Leo A Daly, where he worked on higher education projects.
- Doug Wild, BArch ’87 architecture, BS ’87, architectural studies, was named a principal of BWBR, a design solutions company in St. Paul, Minn. He joined the firm in 1998 and has worked on facilities for the Minnesota National Guard, 3M and Minnesota Department of Transportation, among others.
- Dennis Walsh, BS ’80 agricultural economics and agricultural communication, was named “Honorary American Farmer” at the National FFA Convention in Indianapolis. The National FFA Organization has 540,379 student members in more than 7,000 local chapters. He previously served on the N.D. FFA Foundation board for six years. He lives and farms in Harvey, N.D., and is chief credit officer at First International Bank and Trust, with 21 locations throughout North Dakota, Minnesota and Arizona.
- Kevin Nelson, BS ’89 civil engineering, joined Larson Engineering Inc., in Bismarck, N.D., as regional manager to oversee the firm’s North Dakota operations.
- Kathy (Cook) Helming, BS ’84 botany, joined Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota as director of continuous improvement and performance in health network innovation. She previously was executive director of the office of continuous improvement at Sanford Health, Fargo.
- Scott Matthew Williamson, BUS ’81 university studies, completed 30 years of service as a certified registered nurse anesthetist for The Permanente Medical Group in Vallejo, Calif. He lives in American Canyon, Calif.