To insert a video from a file from the Filelist storage area,
- Insert a content element as normal, choosing the content type Typical page content > Text & Media
- In the Media tab click the Add media file button
- In the Folder Tree browse to the media file location and click the file from the right column
- Update available metadata fields as appropriate (fields vary by media type)
- (Optional) set a Width of each element (px) to use a different width for the media element than default; note that the maximum width may be constrained to be less than the full width of the content area if the Number of Columns is not "1" (the maximum width of the content applies to all columns combined)
Not all Internet browsers will display media types in the same manner, and some visitors might not have the plug-ins needed to display the embedded file. Use of a media service like your institutional (@ndsu.edu) Google Apps / Youtube account makes the media available to a wide audience, greatly reducing any "plugin" or download speed issues that may be present for other video types.
Media from other video providers
You can embed videos from some online video providers, such as Youtube and Vimeo, using the Text & Media content element.
Embed a Youtube video
You can embed many Youtube videos. Here's how:
- On the Youtube page for the video, select and copy the entire URL displayed in your browser address bar. The URL looks something like "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWJzethDeMs"
- Insert a Text & Media content element as above
- In the Media tab click Add media file
- To add a new Youtube video reference, (if you haven't created a reference to this Youtube video already)
- In the Folder Tree browse to the location you would like to store a Youtube media reference
- In the right column, paste the Youtube URL (from step 1) in the Add new media asset (Paste media url here...) field (located at the bottom of the column)
- Continue with the next step (5) to use the new Youtube video reference
- To use an existing Youtube video reference,
- In the Folder Tree browse to the location of the Youtube media reference
- Click the "file" reference name
- Optionally set Video Metadata fields, Width of each element field, and/or Number of Columns as for other media contents
- Save and publish as usual
Note that some Youtube video authors have disabled embedding their video. In that case, you will not be able to embed the Youtube video into any webpage. Instead you can insert a link to the Youtube video URL.
Embed a Vimeo video
You cam embed Vimeo videos using similar methods as for Youtube.
- On the Vimeo page for the video, select and copy the entire URL displayed in your browser address bar. The URL looks something like "https://vimeo.com/2187138"
- Repeat from step 2 as for Youtube, above, substituting with the Vimeo URL from step 1
- Save and publish as usual