The Department of Mechanical Engineering at North Dakota State University seeks qualified applicants for a Research Engineer position. We are particularly looking for candidates who can operate effectively in a diverse community of students, staff, and faculty to share in our vision of excellence in engineering education, research, and service to local and regional industries.
The preferred candidate will work on an Army funded research project to develop advanced polymer matrix composite 3D printing systems. The products resulting from this project are novel 3D printing technologies for commercial and military applications. The expected term for this position is approximately two years but could be extended based on additional funds being allocated for the project in the future. The preferred candidate will have good knowledge of polymer matrix composite materials design and manufacturing as well as mechanical design. Knowledge of controls, automation, and additive manufacturing methods are also preferred.
- MS or higher degree in Mechanical, Chemical, or Industrial engineering, or a closely related field
- Minimum of six years of experience manufacturing composite materials
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- The candidate will help oversee the activity of graduate and undergraduate students and must demonstrate a willingness to work with students, staff and faculty throughout the college and university
- Self-starter and able to work independently to meet goals and deadlines
- Demonstrated knowledge of continuous fiber reinforced composite material design and their properties
- Demonstrated knowledge of fast curing resin systems such as polyurethanes or polyurea
- Experience in the manufacturing of composite materials via different methods.
- Experience moving a prototype through design for manufacture processes and into full production
- Experience with various additive manufacturing methods.
- Basic knowledge of electronic circuits, controls, and programming