Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE)
Summer research appointments are available for undergraduate students in chemistry, materials science, chemical engineering, and related fields, between their junior and senior years, who intend to pursue graduate studies and have an interest in polymers and coatings science. The NDSU Department of Coatings and Polymeric Materials is widely recognized as one of the top educational and research departments in its field. The department offers projects in the following research areas:
- Synthesis of Bio-Based Polymers
- Synthesis of High Performance Polymers
- Coatings and Corrosion Protection
- Coatings and Weathering Durability
- Polymers/Polymeric Materials for Biomedical Applications
- Nanomaterials Engineering
- Polymeric Materials for Environmental Applications
- Computational Chemistry of Polymers
- Environmental Impact Assessment of Bio-based Materials
Schedule and Stipend:
The 2018 SURE Program 2018 starts on May 29th and ends on August 3rd. Student participants will receive a $4,000 stipend and additional $1,000 allowance for housing. On-campus housing is available. Students are responsible for costs associated with housing.
- Must be a U.S. citizen/permanent resident or student enrolled in US institution
- Be an undergraduate student between their Junior and Senior year for the summer of 2018
- Majoring in chemistry, materials science, chemical engineering, or a related field
- Be able to participate in a full-time (40 hours/week) research program in a professor's research group for 10 weeks in Fargo, ND
Application deadline is March 1, 2018.
Offers can be made as early as March 15, 2018.
Click here to apply
For additional information on this program, please contact:
Dr. Andriy Voronov
"This SURE program was a blast. I had the chance to work with real research topics relevant to today’s world and I learned a lot."
-2009 SURE Participant