FLP 3: Food/Nutrition & Consumer Science
The course is designed to provide meaningful activities, instructional strategies, materials, and research to enhance the teaching skills of Pre-K- 12th grade educators in subjects related to food, land and people. More specifically, this course will provide educators with resource information and education that will assist them in the instruction and presentation of Food and Consumer Science related units. The textbook for the course will be “Resources for Learning” and “Eat Well, Be Well” CD with additional materials from the NDSU Extension, National Ag in the Classroom, books, kits, maps, PowerPoints and other resources.
- Understand how natural and environmental concepts can be integrated into the curriculum, with a focus on Health and Nutrition. To heighten the awareness level of the use and replenishment of natural resources as it relates to food and culture.
- Use lessons available in FLP, guide group activities (large, small, and cooperative,) provide for individual differences and learning styles, and evaluates students’ learning.
- Identify and use appropriate learning activities to integrate social concerns and social perspectives regarding soil, water and people issues.
- Develop understanding, thinking skills, creativity, and improve communication skills in the learning environment with students.
- To use FLP lessons and see how they integrate curriculum and are aligned to the North Dakota standards. See ND FLP Alignment at www.ndaginclassroom.org Heading FLP Curriculum Standards, or ND Common Core State Standards http://www.dpi.state.nd.us/standard/common_core.shtm
- To use instructional media FLP CD.
"Love the classes and lessons."
"I learned alot of information that I can take back to my classroom that will make my students more informed and more aware of nutrition and where their food comes from."
"Such a great class to take. I love the real applications and relevancy of the topics shared. The lessons were easy to follow with amazing exposure to resources available."
"Love the multiple applications the course could be used. Instructors were extremely knowledgeable about subject matter."
"The content of the class with its abundance of information was so rewarding. I gleaned a massive amount of useful information. Thank you for sharing so much. The instructors have awesome personalities and endless knowledge. They were captivating."