FLP Institute 2018: Growing the Mindset
This course is designed to provide educators with resource information and education materials that supplement across the curriculum in PreK-12. The textbook for the course will be “Resources for Learning” but will include additional materials provided during the workshop. The course will provide an overview of strategies, materials, curriculum development, and research related to assisting the Pre-K- 12th grade educators to better understand the interdependence of agriculture, the environment, and human needs through lessons in multiple curriculum areas: science, health, consumer education, mathematics, social studies, geography, and more. This Project FLP Institute will focus on the National Agricultural Literacy Curriculum Matrix is an online, searchable, and standards-based curriculum map for K-12 teachers. The Matrix contextualizes national education standards in science, social studies, and nutrition education with relevant instructional resources linked to Common Core Standards.
1. Provide educators with an opportunity to understand larger concepts such as ecosystem balance, diversity, sustainability, watersheds and community.
2. Use lessons available in FLP, guide group activities (large, small, and cooperative), provide for individual differences and learning styles, and evaluates students’ learning.
3. Develop understanding, thinking skills, creativity, and improve communication skills in the learning environment with students.
4. Use FLP and AITC Matrix lessons to demonstrate how they integrate into current curriculum.
5. Identify and use appropriate learning activities to integrate social concerns and social perspectives regarding food, land, and people issues.
"This was one of the best classes I have attended. We received so many ideas on how to use agriculture in the classroom."
"Very informative information on agriculture and the importance of our kids knowing where there food comes from."
"Absolutely loved this class!"
"All of the workshops are amazing! There is never a dull moment and you can easily integrate the lessons into your classroom."
"This class is so fun, hands-on and we received so many resources!"
"If you haven't taken a FLP course yet, you NEED to!"