Orff Schulwerk, Lvl 1
An introduction to the teaching philosophy, techniques and classroom application of the basic Orff methodology. Students participate in recorder study and movement skills each day while studying the elements of music including improvisation.
Guest lecturers will be:
- Dan Gullick teaches kindergarten through fifth grade music at Liberty Ridge Elementary, part of ISD 833, in Woodbury, Minnesota.
- Dr. Kate Webster is a K-6 Music Specialist in the Stillwater Area Public Schools District near Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Julie Blakeslee teaches K-6 music in Billings, MT and directs recorder, drum and guitar ensembles in her two schools.
"Such an amazing course! I've grown so much as an educator and musician." - Krista, Fargo, ND
"As a beginning teacher this course has given me all kinds of ideas for teaching and has already helped me see ways I can improve and streamline my teaching. I cannot wait for next year!" - Sam, Fargo, ND
"I'm so glad Orff Level 1 has finally come to North Dakota! This is just what we needed. Now more teachers have the in-depth training that is needed for today's music teachers." - Jill, Bismarck, ND
- Basic understanding of Orff terminology and techniques.
- Ability to incorporate movement and speech into the general music classroom.
- Proficiency on the recorder.
- Ability to create a pentatonic arrangement utilizing Orff instruments.
- Instrumental improvisation using the pentatonic scale on recorders and Orff instruments.
- Vocal improvisation using the pentatonic scale.
- Basic understanding of folk dance and creative movement.
Required Student Resources:
- Music for Children Volume 1 (Murray Edition)
- Elementaria by Keetman
- Rhythmische Ubung by Gunild Keetman (Schott)
- Soprano Recorder – Yamaha 300 series model required
- Descants for Recorder by Kenneth Simpson
One of these technique books (to be decided the first day, and available for purchase at the course):
- Sweet Pipes Recorder Book for Soprano (blue) OR
- Basic Recorder Technique, Vol. 2 by Hugh Orr for soprano
Staff paper or music notation software
Three-ring binder (2-inch) with tab dividers
Notebook paper for note taking or other note-taking medium
Access to folksong & poetry materials (books or websites)
Texts & recorders will be available for purchase starting at 7:30 a.m. on July 22nd.
Instruments from West Music Company will also be available for purchase.