Orff Schulwerk, Lvl 2
An in-depth study of the teaching philosophy, technique and classroom application of the Orff-Schulwerk methodology. Students further develop their knowledge of classical compositions, recorder study, orchestration techniques and movement skills each day while studying the elements of music including improvisation.
Guest Lecturers will be:
- Dr. Brian Burnett, Professor & Coordinator of Music Education, Stevens Point, WI
- Julie Blakeslee, who teaches K-6 music in Billings, MT and directs recorder, drum and guitar ensembles
- Dr. Kate Webster, K-6 Music Specialist in the Stillwater area near Minneapolis, MN
- Demonstrate the application of Orff terminology, pedagogy, methodology and techniques.
- Demonstrate advanced performing skills on the recorder.
- Ability to create a modal melody over given ostinato or chordal accompaniment.
- Instrumental improvisation using the pentatonic, hexatonic and diatonic scales on recorders and Orff instruments.
- Vocal improvisation using Meter of 5, Meter of 7, changing meter and syncopated patterns.
- Advanced understanding of folk dance and creative movement.
Required Student Resources:
- Music for Children Volumes 2 & 4 (Murray Edition)
- Discovering Keetman Rhythmic Exercises and Pieces Xylophone
- Rhythmische Ubung by Gunild Keetman (Schott)
- Soprano AND Alto Recorders – Yamaha 300-series REQUIRED
- The Recorder Consort, Vol. I by Steve Rosenberg
One of these technique books (to be decided the first day, and available for purchase at the course):
- Sweet Pipes Recorder Book for Alto (red) OR
- Basic Recorder Technique, Vol. 2 by Hugh Orr for alto
Any Yamaha tenor and bass recorders you may have access to that you are willing to share during the course. We will clean them!
Staff paper or music notation software
Three-ring binder (2-inch) with tab dividers
Notebook paper for note taking or other note-taking medium
Access to folksong & poetry materials (books or websites)
Texts and recorders will be available for purchase starting at 7:30 a.m. on July 10th.
Instruments from West Music Company will also be available for purchase.
"Love this course! Please offer Orff again - thanks for all your hard work in bring this to ND!"
"Brian was amazing! Thank you so much for bringing him in!"