The Power of Grit
This course is intended to increase your awareness and understanding of the importance of grit as it relates to success.
- Students will identify and discuss the meaning of grit in relation to success in physical education and sport settings.
- Students will gain an understanding of grit and its importance to their future.
- Students will understand “growth mindset”, “self-efficacy”, “learned optimism” and “personal control”.
- Students will recognize when to take calcuated risks.
- Students will know how to be cognitively flexible, promoting openness to new ideas and creative thinking.
- Students will apply grit competencies at work by intergrating these concepts into a personal reflection paper.
Duckworth, A. (2016) Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance. Simon & Schuster, NY.
"Dr. Strand did an excellent job of facilitating the discussions online. One of the better classes I have taken."
"I learned a lot about myself and how I might better teach."
"The book was excellent. There was alot of material in it that were useful. I enjoyed the online discussions also."
"I appreciated the example and outline for how to write the commentary papers. If I had questions, Professor Strand was great about clarifying via email or during Huddle discussions."
"It was one of the few courses in leadership/mental toughness/sports psychology that I have found in over 25 years of teaching."